Cat caught coronsvirus?

Ian F B

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

image.png.2b4efda81b1c37228f1d032bb1ff9083.png

Was it this one??

No this is Bonzo the well known hula hooping cat,available for weddings ,barmitzvas etc,at very reasonable rates!???

Edited by Ian F B
Spellchecker!
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Saw recently (yesterday) a plea from a cat rescue service that was asking for homes for cats that had been given to them as the owners were afraid that the cats would catch the virus and pass it on.  They did say that there is no known case of a cat with Covid-19.

2 hours ago, Ian F B said:

Cat in Belgium diagnosed with coronavirus, is this really a newsworthy item?

I'd say so, even if it's false the average drongo would see it as a valid reason to inflict harm on the feline population.

I recall the day following the result of the Brexit referendum, groups of youths were arrested around the UK for abusing Eastern Europeans on the back of it.

If that's what they'll do to people what chance does a poor b700dy cat stand?

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder how many more unknown viruses are lurking in the animal population  waiting for an opportunity to jump to the humans, especially those close to us or even what we eat at present

Humans seem to be doing a pretty good job of wiping out other animal species, so the risk is steadily going down.

17 hours ago, Ian F B said:

Cat in Belgium diagnosed with coronavirus, is this really a newsworthy item?

Source Daily Mail.

The source automatically answers your question. ?

12 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder how many more unknown viruses are lurking in the animal population  waiting for an opportunity to jump to the humans, especially those close to us or even what we eat at present

I have posted this question on here before and there was only one comment.

My cat I know visits neighbour's houses and if he is petted by someone with the virus,will the virus be on his fur?

15 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I have posted this question on here before and there was only one comment.

My cat I know visits neighbour's houses and if he is petted by someone with the virus,will the virus be on his fur?

My understanding is that yes, there is a theoretical risk that the virus could transfer via. the coat of a cat or a dog. This is not the same as the animal having the infection and transmitting it. It's the same as it being transferred by any other surface. This surface is different of course as it is 'mobile'.

The source I read suggested the risk though was extremely small because transfer by a hard surface was much greater. The advice was to wash your hands (20 secs. thoroughly) after handling the pet. 

I will see if I can hunt down the link.

Edit - It was a segment by a Vet on GMB about two or three days ago but I can't locate it.

This government link simply suggests washing your hands after handing you cat which would seem the support it.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-people-with-animals

Other links would seem to back up, just wash your hands too.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

There has always been diseases which are transmittable from animals to humans. This is why most of the milk we use is pasteurised - bovine TB is transmitable and why in the late 1960s there was a national campaign to eradicate brusellosis in the national herd. This rather nasty disease is transmitted through drinking raw milk or eating cheese made from raw milk-one strain of  it causes spontaneous abortion in cattle and humans, other strains give you flu like symptoms.