Routing cables, water and gas pipes ?

Featured Posts

Hi All

I have just received a bunch of documents from Alan regarding the boating standards - so I can do a bit of research - thanks for all your help and advice... 

I'm a bit of an old bloke - but I should be able to muddle through...how hard could this be? lol... 

10 minutes ago, alistair1537 said:

I'm a bit of an old bloke - but I should be able to muddle through...how hard could this be? lol... 

An order of magnitude than you ever thought possible, to do right.

Now can you PLEASE tell us, have you even heard of the RCD regulations? 

Thanks. 

46 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But if something goes wrong and there is an investigation, then the person who fitted the gas system may have difficulty convincing the authorities of his 'competence' if he/she does not have the bits of paper.

If something goes wrong with the gas so will the chap with a pile of bits of paper. Happened the other side of the marsh from where I live, he had the papers but still blew the house up and was held accountable 

Thanks again chaps for the concern - yes I have heard of the RCD regulations - I'm pretty sure I can read and follow them. I will be building compliant to RCD regulations. I don't do things half hearted. 

Cheer up - we got to the moon and back. We can build a boat...

Cheers

Alistair

• Happy 1

5 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

As per the old Thames Conservancy Launch Regulations. They preferred the pipes to run at high level outside the boat.

Gawd, that dates you - they were well out of the way before I started building and I don't think I'm a spring chicken (mebe an old boiler...)

4 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Gawd, that dates you - they were well out of the way before I started building and I don't think I'm a spring chicken (mebe an old boiler...)

We had to have the hire boats inspected against them every year by the local navigation officer or his deputy. Interesting thing is when I bought the boat I naturally did the work in accordance to the said regs and it passed the BSS exam. In fact at that time the BSS looked to e a cut and paste from the launch Regs.

4 hours ago, alistair1537 said:

Thanks again chaps for the concern - yes I have heard of the RCD regulations - I'm pretty sure I can read and follow them. I will be building compliant to RCD regulations. I don't do things half hearted. 

Cheer up - we got to the moon and back. We can build a boat...

Cheers

Alistair

The RCD refers to dozens, perhaps hundreds, of European standards. Can you obtain copies, read, understand and follow all of them?

41 minutes ago, WotEver said:

And the world is flat. 

Are you SURE?

I've thought about this quite a lot and if the world was flat, there would have to be an edge, and if there is an edge, the edge would have a fence in these days of H&S. To stop the more adventurous of us falling off and hurting ourselves, landing on the back of the giant tortoise. 

Consequently, maintenance of this fence would be quite a big deal and the company looking after it would have quite a hefty stock market listing, or there would need to be some sort of world government to look after it. As there is neither, I surmise the world cannot be flat.

On the other hand, if the world was round as LG would probably claim, surely all the water would run downhill to the south pole and drip off. But it doesn't. So I'm not sure it can be round either.

Do you see what I mean??

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No, what about the fence?

You wouldn't see cats anywhere else in the world if the fence were built. They'd all be walking along the top of it. You see cats all over, therefore the fence doesn't exist, therefore the world isn't flat.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

You wouldn't see cats anywhere else in the world if the fence were built. They'd all be walking along the top of it. You see cats all over, therefore the fence doesn't exist, therefore the world isn't flat.

Well, you've convinced me!

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What if the fence is too high for the cats to jump up?

There now. GOTCHA!

If it were too high for cats to jump, then they'd climb up. If it were too high to climb, then you'd be able to see it from anywhere in a flat world, which you can't. I can see cats, I can't see the H&S edge protection fence, therefore the world isn't flat!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Are you SURE?

I've thought about this quite a lot and if the world was flat, there would have to be an edge, and if there is an edge, the edge would have a fence in these days of H&S. To stop the more adventurous of us falling off and hurting ourselves, landing on the back of the giant tortoise. 

Consequently, maintenance of this fence would be quite a big deal and the company looking after it would have quite a hefty stock market listing, or there would need to be some sort of world government to look after it. As there is neither, I surmise the world cannot be flat.

On the other hand, if the world was round as LG would probably claim, surely all the water would run downhill to the south pole and drip off. But it doesn't. So I'm not sure it can be round either.

Do you see what I mean??

The world is flat but slightly dished to stop the sea and air running over the edge.  The edge is near Bermuda so any boats & planes that go to find the edge tend to fall over the edge which is why they never come back to tell us what they saw.

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Could that company be Google? Could the World Wide Web be a safety net to catch anything falling off the edge?

Apologies to @alistair1537 for what we have done to his topic...

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies