Looks like it don't pay to be over 65 in Spain and you have the virus!

nipper

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Lol!

My preferred expression is "stupid as mud".

I used to be a nurse, and as only qualified on duty they asked me to do a long day, 7 till  10 shift, but as I hadn't brought anything in for a meal later on, I asked the domestic , who was going out for lunch to the shops if she could get me some mince, and if she could get me some spaghetti, gave her a fiver.

Later on after her return,she said I wasn't sure what mints you wanted so I got you some chewing gum ones and trebor, I didn't see any spaghetti selling shops, is that ok. Lovely lady, but true story.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Timx said:

I used to be a nurse, and as only qualified on duty they asked me to do a long day, 7 till  10 shift, but as I hadn't brought anything in for a meal later on, I asked the domestic , who was going out for lunch to the shops if she could get me some mince, and if she could get me some spaghetti, gave her a fiver.

Later on after her return,she said I wasn't sure what mints you wanted so I got you some chewing gum ones and trebor, I didn't see any spaghetti selling shops, is that ok. Lovely lady, but true story.

Brilliant example!!!

Really not sure you should be making spag bol with mints though....

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Never mind that Eastenders and Coronation nonsense,  the Archers are down to 5 days a week, shit just got real

But the Archers mission to educate the nation is failing miserably, they are still locked into a world of stolen tractors, pub rebrandings  and minor explosions, the virus has passed them by.

.....................Dave

8 minutes ago, dmr said:

But the Archers mission to educate the nation is failing miserably, they are still locked into a world of stolen tractors, pub rebrandings  and minor explosions, the virus has passed them by.

A Good Thing surely. 

When they catch up, I am expecting an avalanche of misinformation and trailing edge advice on how to deal with it. 

Cynical? Moi?

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A Good Thing surely. 

When they catch up, I am expecting an avalanche of misinformation and trailing edge advice on how to deal with it. 

Cynical? Moi?

Yup, considering the govment advice, and the police interpretation of that advice, changes by the day, the possibility of making a sensible informative drama about it several days in advance is hopeless. Maybe they should do something about the difficulties in recruiting crop-harvesters though?

and thats another thing.....all the pubs/restaurants/shops are shut and the govment are paying these people to stay at home doing nowt whilst the farmers are saying food will be wasted because they can't recruit Eastern European pickers.

Can't we get all these urban barstaff out into the healthy open countryside doing something productive?

.................Dave

• Greenie 1

People will only start paying attention when it's their own friends and family dying. But by then the virus will be so widespread. 

Do they think that turning the Excel exhibition centre into a hospital has been done lightly ?

Jeez. 

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, cougie said:

People will only start paying attention when it's their own friends and family dying. But by then the virus will be so widespread. 

Do they think that turning the Excel exhibition centre into a hospital has been done lightly ?

Jeez. 

Do they know,  was it on EastEnders?

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Actually I started explaining the we were in the EU, then went back a step and started explaining what the EU actually was, at which point I gave. up and the conversation switched back to football. 

And then I reverted to being the ignorant one!

I am always proud to state quite truthfuly that I cannot name one player of any football team or manager. I only know the names of such as Beckham and Rooney as they are perpetualy rammed down my throat in all forms of media. As for the eu some people actualy believe we joined it in 1973!! Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus :banghead:

This is doing the rounds on some papers... this used to be unthinkable, let alone printable.

?

PEOPLE with Down syndrome, autism and cerebral palsy could reportedly be left to die from coronavirus under new guidance.

Now that the United States has the largest number of reported COVID-19 cases in the world, with more than 85,000 cases, some states have put medical supply rationing policies into place.

The stupidest experience that happened to me was with my friend. We were at college and she said she had a flat tyre. I said I'd help at lunchtime. At the side of her car I went through the drill that my Dad showed me when I had my first car..... loosen the nuts, jack the car up, take off the wheel nuts, remove flat tyre, replace with a good tyre, screw in wheel nuts, lower car with jack and tighten wheel nuts again.  After doing this, her response was... "but how do I know the wheel is firmly on the road"..... I couldn't answer ? 

11 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Never mind that Eastenders and Coronation nonsense,  the Archers are down to 5 days a week, shit just got real

But Lindybottom is getting better, so all's right in the(ir) world.

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

They were "gas engineers", not boaters.

"Engineers" or technicians?

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, dmr said:

And modern day slavery.

Roifield, one of the presenters of Dumteedum  is like a dog with two appendages as he said that there Philip Moss was a wrong un' weeks ago!

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

But Lindybottom is getting better, so all's right in the(ir) world.

"Engineers" or technicians?

Technicians obviously. One of my (many) hobby horses.

My trade is full of jumped up technicians who are being encouraged to consider themselves engineers, when they are simply not. Massively encouraged by  Gas Safe Register in particular who now consistently refer to what used to be called "gas installers" as "gas engineers"  and have even changed the name of our monthly trade comic from "The Gas Installer" to "The Gas Engineer". 

GSR compound this by their technical help line for GAS INSTALLERS (my emphasis) telling us to "use your engineering judgement, you are the gas engineer" whenever we ask them a difficult or challenging question. 

15 hours ago, matty40s said:

It would be a bit of an ask to get the already stretched police force to visit those numpties and fine them. If it's the usual ones who moor in that area, they probably dont even know theres a national lockdown yet, and wont until Eastenders and Coronation Street run out of episodes in late April.

On our local news the Chief Constable said all detectives had been put into uniform to increase the visible Police presence, and for the last two days we have seen a marked Police car slowly driving around the area.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Mine too.

Call yourself a doctor/vet/dentist without the correct qualifications and you are in for big trouble.

But any pillock who can tell one end of a screwdriver from the other can call themselves an engineer.

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My trade is full of jumped up technicians who are being encouraged to consider themselves engineers, when they are simply not. Massively encouraged by  Gas Safe Register in particular who now consistently refer to what used to be called "gas installers" as "gas engineers"  and have even changed the name of our monthly trade comic from "The Gas Installer" to "The Gas Engineer". 

GSR compound this by their technical help line for GAS INSTALLERS (my emphasis) telling us to "use your engineering judgement, you are the gas engineer" whenever we ask them a difficult or challenging question. 

On of my hobby horses is the misuse of "Marine Engineer". The waterways are awash with them but very few actual marine engineers. Mostly fall into the category of fitters, and some of them are very good, but some others ...well who knows! And before anyone suggests that I am a marine engineer let me assure them I am not, and never have been. I leave it to the proper experts, many of whom can be found on this very forum?

Howard

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Not sure who you're responding to but I agree, pigs are ace, funny, intelligent but unfortunately for them taste lush, gammon,  bacon, crackling hmmmm, lovely 

An earlier comment that "You can't educate pork".

11 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Not sure who you're responding to but I agree, pigs are ace, funny, intelligent but unfortunately for them taste lush, gammon,  bacon, crackling hmmmm, lovely 

I agree with all you say, even though I like pigs> I love the quotation - "Dogs look up to you, Cats look down on you but Pigs look you straight in the eye!"

Howard

• Greenie 2

7 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

This is doing the rounds on some papers... this used to be unthinkable, let alone printable.

?

The stupidest experience that happened to me was with my friend. We were at college and she said she had a flat tyre. I said I'd help at lunchtime. At the side of her car I went through the drill that my Dad showed me when I had my first car..... loosen the nuts, jack the car up, take off the wheel nuts, remove flat tyre, replace with a good tyre, screw in wheel nuts, lower car with jack and tighten wheel nuts again.  After doing this, her response was... "but how do I know the wheel is firmly on the road"..... I couldn't answer ? 

I worked for British Gas's Midlands Research Station between school and university. We had a university sandwich course student join us for a work placement. On one occasion he sat increasingly wide-eyed while an office discussion about railways focussed on the Severn Tunnel, before blurting out "Do you have to shut the windows before going through the tunnel?" "No. Why?" "To stop the water coming in."

:banghead:

There was the guest having a day out on a NB, following a discussion about horse drawn working boats, she puzzled " but don't their hooves get soft, swimming in the canal all day ? ... quite a drawback of course ............

Blondest one was on youtube, passenger to driver, "it's very hot in here, don't you have 'aircon'?  It would be much better if they air conditioned the air outside." ?

Edited by LadyG

18 hours ago, LadyG said:

There was the guest having a day out on a NB, following a discussion about horse drawn working boats, she puzzled " but don't their hooves get soft, swimming in the canal all day ? ... quite a drawback of course ............

Blondest one was on youtube, passenger to driver, "it's very hot in here, don't you have 'aircon'?  It would be much better if they air conditioned the air outside." ?

They'd be correct, if talking about working boats going through the centre of Cambridge.

• Greenie 1

On 27/03/2020 at 23:18, dmr said:

Yup, considering the govment advice, and the police interpretation of that advice, changes by the day, the possibility of making a sensible informative drama about it several days in advance is hopeless. Maybe they should do something about the difficulties in recruiting crop-harvesters though?

and thats another thing.....all the pubs/restaurants/shops are shut and the govment are paying these people to stay at home doing nowt whilst the farmers are saying food will be wasted because they can't recruit Eastern European pickers.

Can't we get all these urban barstaff out into the healthy open countryside doing something productive?

.................Dave

That has been discussed on R4 Farming Today, the farmer / grower pointed out he needed a young fit, adaptable workforce, and a lot of them . Foreign workers may traditionally housed in dorms with communal facilities. and with machine harvesting 2m distancing is difficult/impossible.

They need to be trained and if slow they need to be sacked as farmers/growers have to pay a min wage. Most are on piece rates, maybe £10 ph over a eight hour working day. Office workers start off v slow as they are unfit, and not used to manual work, it takes about three weeks to get up to speed.

Edited by LadyG