Virus

Herit 44

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Herit 44 said:

Hi why are the public  allowed to be  exercising  on the canal towpath  when you cannot maintain  a  2 meter  distance. Why didn't  the government also include  canal towpath  as a no go place 

No, there won't be room for both gas and electric ones side by side.

I suppose because there aren't enough policemen or CART employees to station one every 100 yards to ensure that the law is obeyed.

Crt have requested that no one should walk on the towpath where boats are moored.

You only get this information if you’re subscribed to Crt email updates. So how are the general public are supposed to know about it ?

Given Crt’s fondness for new signage I expect a proliferation of signs any minute now. But where I am no one is taking any notice about staying at home and many are not observing social distancing.
That includes some boaters 

You should see the posts about this on FB, boaters putting barriers across the towpath. Complaining walkers are less than 6 feet from there boat. When you go to the shop do you step off the pavement and cross the road when someone comes the other way

Think of the poor buggers living in a top floor flat with nowhere to walk other that the streets and pavement, one on the news said that due to the wind they couldn't even have their windows open and you begrudge them a walk down the towpath

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, plato said:

. But where I am no one is taking any notice about staying at home and many are not observing social distancing.

Where is that?

I think the enormity of the situation is difficult for a lot of people to take in, there has definitely been a drop in footfall towards the end of the week where we are. A little patience is in order where no immediate threat to health is present, some are going unnecessarily ott about fairly normal human behaviour whilst still going to shops, petrol stations and the like.

7 hours ago, plato said:

Crt have requested that no one should walk on the towpath where boats are moored.

You only get this information if you’re subscribed to Crt email updates. So how are the general public are supposed to know about it ?

Given Crt’s fondness for new signage I expect a proliferation of signs any minute now. But where I am no one is taking any notice about staying at home and many are not observing social distancing.

There are CRT posters stating 'Do not walk past boats' at all access points as well as on trees/posts near to boats (CRT sent these via email to boaters authorising them to put the up). We went for a walk to one of our local towpath's today on the Oxford (opposite the Pig Place). There was a boat moored up just passed the swing bridge so we stopped short of it. The guy was pottering outside and we struck up a conversation (at a distance). The towpath is quite wide there so I asked him if he minded us passing and he said "of course you can, you're the first people to actually ask", he stepped away and we had considerably more than 2m between us and without anyone coughing!  He mentioned there were 3/4 boats further up and we said we'd turn around before we get to them. He went on to say that the people form those boats wouldn't mind as they were down chatting to him earlier. What's happened to common sense to be applied with the rules?

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Are you sure about that, all the photos I have seen have been non official ones

Apologies, my memory lettign me down again. They posted a link in their emails this week which  directs to https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-boating-faqs 

We’ve put up hundreds of posters across the network and have made the poster available online, so boaters can print it off and display it in their windows. Around 1,800 have been downloaded – thank you to all those who have helped. Please help us communicate this information, but under no circumstances should anyone place obstructions on towpaths. 

You can print off the poster here - thank you for your help.

So if one’s house abuts the street, as many urban ones do, does that mean one mustn’t walk within 2 metres of said house? Or if someone is sitting in a parked car, and one is walking past, should one avoid it by 2 metres?

I don’t think so! Get a grip!

Anyway, this 2 metre distance is all very well and of course a good idea when facing or talking to people. But what happens in reality, walking the streets round here at least, is that we take a wide (2m) berth around folk walking /jogging / running in the opposite direction, then a couple of seconds late we revert to our original track and thus occupy the same space as the other person had done moments earlier, with their virus-ridden droplets still floating gently to earth and now collected by us.

But you'll be all right when you get carted off to hospital, Nick.  Brewdog have just informed me that they've delivered their first consignment of Punk Hand Sanitiser to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.   They converted their distillery to its production.

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

But you'll be all right when you get carted off to hospital, Nick.  Brewdog have just informed me that they've delivered their first consignment of Punk Hand Sanitiser to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.   They converted their distillery to its production.

Yes and they’re giving it away to vulnerable people direct from the factory in Ellon. As their reward they had a lorry full of beer stolen a few days ago, £150,000 worth. No good deed goes unpunished, as they say.

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

So if one’s house abuts the street, as many urban ones do, does that mean one mustn’t walk within 2 metres of said house? Or if someone is sitting in a parked car, and one is walking past, should one avoid it by 2 metres?

I don’t think so! Get a grip!

You just go out and put tables and chairs across the pavement saying it closed under lockdown and not to pass. That is what has happened on some towpaths, the G&S for one where its about 4 Mts wide