Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
mrsmelly

Post Covid predictions please add

Featured Posts

The neatest plate I've ever seen on a car was simply H1, on a black Merc the used to fly past me on the M4 into London each morning during a project up there. It just seemed cheery to see a car saying "Hi" to you, as it went by.

 

I always suspected it belonged to the head honcho at Hibernian Insurance, which had an office near Chiswick flyover at the time.

 

 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Spelling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the early 70s, I was at a recording studio in west London and parked outside was an old Rolls, plate was WOM13, across the road from it was a red mustang, plate PEN15, they made me and the band I was with laugh a lot, but not want one. I still think they are a waste of money and an exercise in ego. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

In the early 70s, I was at a recording studio in west London and parked outside was an old Rolls, plate was WOM13, across the road from it was a red mustang, plate PEN15, they made me and the band I was with laugh a lot, but not want one. I still think they are a waste of money and an exercise in ego. 

Ego, that's the word I've been searching for. Thanks for helping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, peterboat said:

 

You need to look on line, DVLA millions of numbers for sale, loads of companies selling them Richard it's big business. Sometimes you just don't see them I do because I am in the car game 

Big business doesn't make them a majority. Your statement suggested that more than half of number plates are "private".... they are not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I think there are cherished plates but also personalised plates. Cherished plates are very expensive whereas tuppeny millionaires can stretch to a personalised one. The link between the personalised plate and the owner's name is often somewhat tenuous but no matter, the owner understands the link.

I have no feelings either way, and quite enjoy the chuckle when I see some of them. I like to think that someone is driving around with M1 NGE on the front and back of their car. I suspect it will have been withheld by DVLA :)

 

The only reason I mentioned them was because you referred to those who drive cars with personalised plates as "Dicks", in #100 :) 

 

 

Edited by Richard10002

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Big business doesn't make them a majority. Your statement suggested that more than half of number plates are "private".... they are not.

It's a special type of majority.  Other examples may have been discussed in recent years ....

  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's a special type of majority.  Other examples may have been discussed in recent years ....

 

I remember - 48 is bigger than 52.

 

 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Loddon said:

My plate is nothing to do with my name and only those that know would understand its significance ;)

 

G6LOH

 

And it cost me nothing, it was bought by my EX as a birthday present for me just before she dumped me :)

 

I have been eyeing up G10ECO for years but never went for it.

 

Never operated in Northern Ireland but cant get GM or GW to fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst a number plate is theeeeeeeeeeeee last thing I would spend more than about five bob on I did see one that actualy suited the car and was owned by someone who knew how to take the piss out of themselves.

V12 EGO on an Aston martin db9

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Big business doesn't make them a majority. Your statement suggested that more than half of number plates are "private".... they are not.

It means a lot though, I have 3 my ex business partner must have 15 to 20 on cars or retention so plenty out there 

 I have WXB 652, LVB 6D and A19 NMK all came on cars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

It means a lot though, I have 3 my ex business partner must have 15 to 20 on cars or retention so plenty out there 

 I have WXB 652, LVB 6D and A19 NMK all came on cars

Liam gets asked a lot if the plate on the Sierra is private. It isn't it is what it was first registered with but reads as though it could be B300 XVH.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Liam gets asked a lot if the plate on the Sierra is private. It isn't it is what it was first registered with but reads as though it could be B300 XVH.

 

 

XVH, first registered by Huddersfield CBC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mostly I think they're pointless, but occasionally you see one that makes you smile. I passed a Range Rover on the M4 some time ago -- not the modern plush luxobarges, one of the original 1970s ones with plastic seats and rubber mats that could be hosed out. It looked like it had a hard life, was dull and dented and scratched, but I knew it belonged to a proper livestock farmer -- and one with a sense of humour.

 

P16SHT 🙂

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, peterboat said:

It means a lot though,

Then you should say what you mean, and stick to facts.

 

(for the sake of clarity, and for Dr.Bob... you can do whatever you like but, when you say "majority", when the truth is "a small percentage", it does you no favours :( )

 

You've accounted for about 18-23 plates, have you any idea how many vehicles are actually registered with a personalised/private plate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Then you should say what you mean, and stick to facts.

 

(for the sake of clarity, and for Dr.Bob... you can do whatever you like but, when you say "majority", when the truth is "a small percentage", it does you no favours :( )

 

You've accounted for about 18-23 plates, have you any idea how many vehicles are actually registered with a personalised/private plate?

Richard I never said a majority I have always said it's a lot I told you to look at DVLA website it says millions for sale! I can assure you lots of people have them, it's a bit of fun or in my case inherited plates that I like 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

 

 

(for the sake of clarity, and for Dr.Bob... you can do whatever you like but, when you say "majority", when the truth is "a small percentage", it does you no favours :( )

Oi!

Wots this got to do with me?

I don't remember saying anything about majority's on this thread. I don't appreciate you quoting me out of context when I have no clue what you are talking about.

If I have used the word majority on a another thread incorrecty (which I very much doubt) then you should communicate that in that thread. You are not trying to get this thread back to Brexit are you?

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Labour will win the next election. The solution to the massive debt following the virus will be to apply the notion of 'equality'. This will involve a number of measures including: The state will seize a proportion of individual savings, known as 'haircuts'. All private rented property will be taken into the ownership of the state. Compensation to the owner will be limited to government issued bonds that mature 5 years from the date of seizure. The price paid will be the lower of the price paid by the owner when they bought the property; or 80% the current market price. A new 'wealth tax' will be introduced, based on the value of an individual's assets. The higher rate of tax will increase to 80%. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Labour will win the next election. The solution to the massive debt following the virus will be to apply the notion of 'equality'. This will involve a number of measures including: The state will seize a proportion of individual savings, known as 'haircuts'. All private rented property will be taken into the ownership of the state. Compensation to the owner will be limited to government issued bonds that mature 5 years from the date of seizure. The price paid will be the lower of the price paid by the owner when they bought the property; or 80% the current market price. A new 'wealth tax' will be introduced, based on the value of an individual's assets. The higher rate of tax will increase to 80%. 

.....and Man Ure Utd will win the league in the next 5 years.

Edited by Dr Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t really got a prediction other than to say that whatever happens, it’s likely it will be a battle between keeping the vulnerable alive and keeping the financial economy alive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, peterboat said:

Richard I never said a majority I have always said it's a lot I told you to look at DVLA website it says millions for sale! I can assure you lots of people have them, it's a bit of fun or in my case inherited plates that I like 

I may have misunderstood what you meant. #148 and #155.

 

You are correct... you said minority, rather than majority.

 

There are adverts knocking about which state that there are 55 million personalised plates available. There are only about 38 million cars registered in the UK. I wonder what percentage have personalised plates?

4 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Oi!

Wots this got to do with me?

I don't remember saying anything about majority's on this thread. I don't appreciate you quoting me out of context when I have no clue what you are talking about.

If I have used the word majority on a another thread incorrecty (which I very much doubt) then you should communicate that in that thread. You are not trying to get this thread back to Brexit are you?

I think you accused me of censorship when I said that someone "should" stop doing something. (I accept that it may not have been you.... but I think it was).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I may have misunderstood what you meant. #148 and #155.

 

You are correct... you said minority, rather than majority.

 

There are adverts knocking about which state that there are 55 million personalised plates available. There are only about 38 million cars registered in the UK. I wonder what percentage have personalised plates?

I think you accused me of censorship when I said that someone "should" stop doing something. (I accept that it may not have been you.... but I think it was).

Yes, that was me about your attempts at censorship but here you are accusing me of using the word 'majority' wrong. Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Yes, that was me about your attempts at censorship but here you are accusing me of using the word 'majority' wrong. Why?

No, I'm not.... I can see how it might read like that, but it definitely wasnt meant like that.

 

Because I had suggested that peter "should" do something, I felt the need to qualify it as not being an attempt at censorship. The stuff about saying what he liked, and majority was aimed at Peter, and the clarity was for all, particularly you.

 

It's now probably as clear as mud..... and I wish I hadn't bothered :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

No, I'm not.... I can see how it might read like that, but it definitely wasnt meant like that.

 

Because I had suggested that peter "should" do something, I felt the need to qualify it as not being an attempt at censorship. The stuff about saying what he liked, and majority was aimed at Peter, and the clarity was for all, particularly you.

 

It's now probably as clear as mud..... and I wish I hadn't bothered :) 

 

😀

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/03/2020 at 09:41, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Ego, that's the word I've been searching for. Thanks for helping.

You should know 😜

  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.