Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
mrsmelly

Post Covid predictions please add

Featured Posts

 

On 27/03/2020 at 14:03, Mad Harold said:

House prices fall due to many coming on the market that couldn't during the lockdown.I think they will bounce back fairly quickly. 

Canal boat prices I think will fall for the same reason,but may recover slower because there may well be a period of austerity and CRT's income from the government may be cut or not increased leading to less maintenance and longer more frequent stoppages,so a lot of boaters may give up.

I think canal boat prices will soon rebound as a huge number of peeps will not want to go abroad either this summer or next. How many peeps will go to spain in 2020/2021? UK tourism should be quite bouyant by July so its going to get busy on the canals. The other not so pleasant thought is that there will be a lot of very old folk who are claimed by the virus and that means quite a bit of cash will flow down a generation meaning a number of 50-70 year olds will have spare cash to buy a 'cheap second home'.

I do share your concern on the funding for the CRT and the effect on stoppages etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Athy said:

That's O.K. as long as their boat has a license.

A mad language.

”That cow over there leaning against that bough has a chough on it’s back, and one of them has a cough.

Try explaining that to a non native speaker of English.

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

 

I think canal boat prices will soon rebound as a huge number of peeps will not want to go abroad either this summer or next. How many peeps will go to spain in 2020/2021? UK tourism should be quite bouyant by July so its going to get busy on the canals. The other not so pleasant thought is that there will be a lot of very old folk who are claimed by the virus and that means quite a bit of cash will flow down a generation meaning a number of 50-70 year olds will have spare cash to buy a 'cheap second home'.

I do share your concern on the funding for the CRT and the effect on stoppages etc.

 

I suspect your July estimate for tourism in the UK is a tad optimistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

A mad language.

”That cow over there leaning against that bough has a chough on it’s back, and one of them has a cough.

Try explaining that to a non native speaker of English.

I suspect your July estimate for tourism in the UK is a tad optimistic.

Always look on the bright side of life!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

 

I think canal boat prices will soon rebound as a huge number of peeps will not want to go abroad either this summer or next. How many peeps will go to spain in 2020/2021? UK tourism should be quite bouyant by July so its going to get busy on the canals. The other not so pleasant thought is that there will be a lot of very old folk who are claimed by the virus and that means quite a bit of cash will flow down a generation meaning a number of 50-70 year olds will have spare cash to buy a 'cheap second home'.

I do share your concern on the funding for the CRT and the effect on stoppages etc.

 

Judging by the amount of cyclists using the towpath everyday then a small yearly fee would soon swell the coffers. My boat licence is about 1100 quid iirc so lets be realy fair to peeps and just charge them ten percent say a 100 quids a bike for the unlimited chopping up of the towpath they now get for nowt? Muck much smaller fee than us boaters but would be a considerable sum of money when collected.

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

UK tourism should be quite bouyant by July so its going to get busy on the canals.

 

That is July 2021 you are talking about, we wont be out of this mess by July 2020.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can solve all our economy problems easily once we are out of this with an annual tax on dogs. And dog food.  And health care for dogs.  And eye-watering fines for dog poo litter. And dog-grooming businesses. Bigoted? Moi?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just whack on and an extra £5,000 year road tax on all monster SUV's and huge fat prestige cars.

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will the last one left on earth turn off the light before they die please?

I dont know when this virus will be beat, I dont think it will be this year.

Big companies like Virgin are asking for handouts, the question is why bother? we dont know when the virus will be beat.

People are still going to work in some ways they are cannon fodder, we need people still catching the virus but at a controllable rate, how long will it take to get a workforce that is immune? and back to work?

Should we ever allow normal global travel to happen again?

Will refugees/economic migrants ever be welcome anywhere ever again?

Lots of questions but no real answers I feel, so I go back to my first sentence, and with luck it will be a long time in the future and people cleverer than us will have worked out the answers fingers crossed

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing I find most interesting about all of this that (looking some posters history) Boris was defined as the hero PM who would 'get Brexit done' now seems to be having his ability to 'get this virus done'  called into question.

 

Interesting times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The thing I find most interesting about all of this that (looking some posters history) Boris was defined as the hero PM who would 'get Brexit done' now seems to be having his ability to 'get this virus done'  called into question.

 

Interesting times.

Not from me, as long as he follows the science I am sure in a couple of years we will be ok

  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Not from me, as long as he follows the science I am sure in a couple of years we will be ok

He actually said the tide will turn in 12 weeks just last week.

 

So you dont agree with that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

He actually said the tide will turn in 12 weeks just last week.

 

So you dont agree with that?

It will, twice a day for the foreseeable future 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Will the last one left on earth turn off the light before they die please?

I dont know when this virus will be beat, I dont think it will be this year.

Big companies like Virgin are asking for handouts, the question is why bother? we dont know when the virus will be beat.

People are still going to work in some ways they are cannon fodder, we need people still catching the virus but at a controllable rate, how long will it take to get a workforce that is immune? and back to work?

Should we ever allow normal global travel to happen again?

Will refugees/economic migrants ever be welcome anywhere ever again?

Lots of questions but no real answers I feel, so I go back to my first sentence, and with luck it will be a long time in the future and people cleverer than us will have worked out the answers fingers crossed

Good questions and a lot of no's in that lot.

China, South Korea and Singapore have relaxed their lockdowns although the bars are still shut in Singapore.  We'll be the same in a few months but not totally free. Its certainly going to change a lot of what we do from the middle of this year.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll try. Anyone who says we can get this virus done is guessing. It’s just political bluster. Scientists can’t say, politicians can hope or give the messages they think people need to hear.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever happens I think the majority , if not everyone,  will be worse off. 

 

The best thing government can do is invest in infrastructure projects rather than pay people benefits. So projects like HS2 are likley  not only to go ahead but may be accelerated. 

 

 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Less indulgence (Do you need 3 suv’s)

more pragmatism (health not fashion)

more society ( nice to talk face to face)

Less psychobabble ( greater resilience)

less commuting ( less pollution)
valuing basics  ( less bewildering choice)

shorter food chains ( strawberries in jan)

 

 

  • Greenie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Less indulgence (Do you need 3 suv’s)

more pragmatism (health not fashion)

more society ( nice to talk face to face)

Less psychobabble ( greater resilience)

less commuting ( less pollution)
valuing basics  ( less bewildering choice)

shorter food chains ( strawberries in jan)

 

 

That's worth striving for.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Less indulgence (Do you need 3 suv’s)

more pragmatism (health not fashion)

more society ( nice to talk face to face)

Less psychobabble ( greater resilience)

less commuting ( less pollution)
valuing basics  ( less bewildering choice)

shorter food chains ( strawberries in jan)

 

 

 

Good list, but I think this is what should happen, not what will happen. 

 

I'd add less air travel (less spreading of virus)

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be pay cuts across the board due to the combined forces of less economic activity and the end of widespread migration for work. Pay cuts as follows:

 

Highly paid footballers: 80-90% cut

 

The so called professions: 40-50% cut

 

Lower paid workers: 10% cut

 

Doctors will have a pay cut but relatively low paid nurses and carers will be the only group that maintains their income.

 

The price of goods and services will remain roughly the same. Price pressures will arise from many goods or components being manufactured locally rather than shipped in from the lowest bidder but this will be offset by lower transport costs and lower local wage costs in the manufacturing chain.

 

Overall everyone will be worse off. This will not be the disaster it could have been. Social isolation will be difficult for people but once that's over and they have food, shelter, clothing, a means of transport and hopefully, love, people will realise that they don't need to consume endlessly in order to be happy.    

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bizzard said:

Just whack on and an extra £5,000 year road tax on all monster SUV's and huge fat prestige cars.

Especially those with look! I've got more money than you cherished number plates.

 

(A very public demonstration of the trimuph of disposable income over common sense if you ask me, which you didn't, so I'll just go and get my coat. Ho hum)

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Especially those with look! I've got more money than you cherished number plates.

 

(A very public demonstration of the trimuph of disposable income over common sense if you ask me, which you didn't, so I'll just go and get my coat. Ho hum)

A trick I've employed for years is if spotting such a car, don't let it in in traffic. If more people did this the message would be driven home: we don't want our roads clogged with 4x4's, and you with the personalised reg; you're a dick. 

  • Unimpressed 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.