How do you test this glow plug please

Featured Posts

Well after 2 years my DL8C eberspacher has stoped working.

companys re eberspacher are closed.

ive done a continuity test which passes

but how do I see if the glow plug works

I’ve looked on line re Dl8C servicing nothing!

thinking of taking it apart for cleaning?

image.jpg

I've seen them tested on vehicles by putting the wires back on, rest on something that will insulate and not burst into flames and turn on. Should be no doubt if it is working as it will turn red quickly. 

Leave to cool afterwards!

Edited by BWM
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, BWM said:

I've seen them tested on vehicles by putting the wires back on, rest on something that will insulate and not burst into flames and turn on. Should be no doubt if it is working as it will turn red quickly. 

Yes, this test will work. Be sure to use the normal glow plug lead and not a direct 24V feed from elsewhere (the circuit is likely to have a dropping resistor). 

If it doesn’t glow, disconnect it and put your multimeter across the lead and the case and try again - it should read 24V. If it doesn’t then the fault lies within the unit. 

Edited by WotEver
It’s a 24V boat, not a 12V one.

I don't think that's just purely a glow plug. It's a bit like the old CAV thermostart plug and should lift a needle valve by thermal expansion to admit fuel which is then ignited. Test as described above and if it flows then try introducing a little paint thinner or similar into the top with the plug upright and test again. The thinner should fall through and ignite. I don't need to say that there should be a small fire resulting and will assume that you have sufficient intelligence to prepare your test accordingly.

I’m off to try

ive been trying to convey direct from 24v supply, neg wire and positive wire

positive to the pin at the end, but didn’t know where to put the neg.

i will at

41 minutes ago, BWM said:

understand this, but if I leave on unit. And switch on and the plug don’t glow red, how do I know if it’s the unit or the plug?

dont glow could be unit, don’t glow could be plug?

this is why I took it out , and test independently?

am I right? Or horribly wrong lol

i was going back down to the engine room, but I wait for some more guildence

thanks!!

The workshop manual suggest a possible glow plug relay fault

If it is this fault it is shown by a 1 second, followed by a 4 second, diagnostic signal.

The 'Glow Plug Interuption is 4x short (1 second) diagnostic signals

(I don't know what that look / sounds like as I have never had a fault shown).

image.png.e7a6c3158183e8be7fddd3908d5be26c.png

image.png.0c09551c0ccd17940cb766b8584cfa58.png

image.png.923feae7ca93c20a3085ce424f2b1def.png

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, bigcol said:

and the plug don’t glow red, how do I know if it’s the unit or the plug?

I answered this in post 3

40 minutes ago, bigcol said:

ive been trying to convey direct from 24v supply,

I don’t know what voltage they’re supposed to be fed but if it’s something like 8V then it may well be dead now even if it wasn’t when you started. 

Pending a reply from an Eber expert. The voltage quoted in post 3 may not be the correct value. With the plug disconnected then unless the glow plug voltage is PWM controlled the voltage you would expect is battery voltage, even with a dropper resistor in series (no current flow = no voltdrop) so in the OP's case 24 volts. I very much doubt its PM controlled, cheaper to use a resistor.

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Pending a reply from an Eber expert. The voltage quoted in post 3 may not be the correct value. With the plug disconnected then unless the glow plug voltage is PWM controlled the voltage you would expect is battery voltage, even with a dropper resistor in series (no current flow = no voltdrop) so in the OP's case 24 volts. I very much doubt its PM controlled, cheaper to use a resistor.

Hopefully you can enlarge :

Screenshot (98).png

• Love 1

Alan that’s the one I’ve got

I’ve never had a fault, I forgot a bout the diagnostic light on the thermostat!!!

im off down there to try

ive got the glow plug out, so will try to see it glow first

just put a positive cable to tip, and it should glow red.

Ps Alan. I contacted eberspacher agent and he suggested thislol

Hi Colin, 

Thank you again for the photo.

With speak to another colleague on this issue.

We fear it could an faulty ECU, unfortunately we cannot get stock of this item as Eberspacher Germany have closed unit at least the 6th April, perhaps you could call out a more local Eberspacher agent or repairer. 

I’ve included a link below to a dealer finder for Eberspacher.

https://www.eberspacher.com/dealers/dealersearch.html

Please let me know how you get on. Sorry we couldn’t be more helpful this time. 

Okay 
1st test

clamped positive cable to tip of glow pug direct to battery.  NOTHING!

2nd test

with the glow plug back in unit,

started up fan spins for 20 seconds. NOTHING MORE THEN STOPS

3RD TEST

started up with diagnostics side on, fan started stoped and NOTHING, re the thermostat diagnostic nothing beeps or lights.

we tried this twice

tried a third time lights continually flashed till turn off.

Alan have you got the link re manual online, I’ve tried but didn’t get far

col

35 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Hopefully you can enlarge :

Screenshot (98).png

I’ve got no chance of ever understand this drawing ever!!!

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yes, I’ll edit my post to say 24V - I was assuming a 12V boat. 

Just checked the schematic in the manual that Alan sent (thanks, Alan!) and there is no resistor shown in the electrical path for the glow plug. So it’s just 24V via a relay. 

Interestingly, the schematic states that it’s for both 12V and 24V Ebers. So would the glow plug have such a wide voltage range,  or would the 12V unit have a different glow plug to the 24V unit?  If the latter, that’s something to watch out for when purchasing spares. 

10 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Hi Alan. I’ve sent you a message m8ty

colin  ? 

Nothing in the last hour since you sent me your details, I sent the manuals immediately on receipt. have you got them ?

Some Servers / ISPs / Antivirus don't like my ISP so check your spam box if you have not received it.

Hi Alan

not as yet,

im waiting for them so I either work out how to work the diagnostic button,

seems as though I’m just relying on forum members,and to try to read through of testing the glow plug

but if the direct battery test is correct,  then it’s the glow plug.

24v positive wire direct to the glow plugs tip

fingers crossed but it be great if the diagnostic test would work and confirm that it’s a glow plug fault.

thanks all

54 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Just checked the schematic in the manual that Alan sent (thanks, Alan!) and there is no resistor shown in the electrical path for the glow plug. So it’s just 24V via a relay. 

Interestingly, the schematic states that it’s for both 12V and 24V Ebers. So would the glow plug have such a wide voltage range,  or would the 12V unit have a different glow plug to the 24V unit?  If the latter, that’s something to watch out for when purchasing spares. 

My whispergen has the same glowplug 12 or 24 volt

3 hours ago, bigcol said:

2nd test

with the glow plug back in unit,

started up fan spins for 20 seconds. NOTHING MORE THEN STOPS

Presumably your battery bank has a decent ammeter, a BMV702 perhaps, given it is 24v.

What does the ammeter read before starting the Eber, and what does it read during this 20 second spin-up?

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Presumably your battery bank has a decent ammeter, a BMV702 perhaps, given it is 24v.

What does the ammeter read before starting the Eber, and what does it read during this 20 second spin-up?

I will test this when next down in engine rm

thanks yet another good sugestion

Thankyou Mike