Post your COVID 19 memes

bagginz

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Athy said:

...and maybe it shouldn't, as the number of greenoes, laughing [points & c. bestowed upon many of the contributions shows that numerous members are enjoying it. Surely you would not wish to curtail their enjoyment?

As a recipient of such acknowledgements, even to the post for which I was censured, then of course not, but open minds need to be open to all.

14 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

Yes I know the sketch well. If you cannot see that this adaptation of it titled "stay alert, Tory style" and portraying the working class as expendable in the cause of the economy is highly political and an example of the virus being weaponised for a party political agenda then you are seriously lacking in discernment. The whole thrust of the thing is party political given the title.

You are too kind. I admire your level of discernment, which enables you to ascertain which parties  these three people would vote for. Do we assume that they would all vote Conservative? If so, there's no political comment, as each has a widely different stance. "Class", on the other hand, is mentioned three times, in case you hadn't noticed.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

You are too kind. I admire your level of discernment, which enables you to ascertain which parties  these three people would vote for. Do we assume that they would all vote Conservative? If so, there's no political comment, as each has a widely different stance. "Class", on the other hand, is mentioned three times, in case you hadn't noticed.

The message is clear. It is Tory policy to let the working class die for the enrichment of those "above" him. Tories are bad. If it said "covid 19 style" you would be right, but it doesn't. It's laying the blame for deaths at the feet of a political party. 

51 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

The message is clear. It is Tory policy to let the working class die for the enrichment of those "above" him. Tories are bad. If it said "covid 19 style" you would be right, but it doesn't. It's laying the blame for deaths at the feet of a political party. 

You do go nibbling on sometimes!

46 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Also not political.

I assume it counts as a "meme", though frankly I'm not sure what one is. As "meme" is French for "same", I had thought that the term referred to those little films which some people post, which run for a few seconds and then repeat themselves over and over again - that would make sense, as they're replaying the "same" thing.

So, what does "meme" mean in the context of this thread? What are the pictures supposed to be the same as?

25 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Quite disappointed that a moderator is continuing the non fun arguments on this thread.

I haven't noticed any of us doing that. My last post for example, seeking enlightenment as to exactly what constitutes a "meme", is very relevant to the topic. Do you know what one is?

Edited by Athy

31 minutes ago, Athy said:

I haven't noticed any of us doing that. My last post for example, seeking enlightenment as to exactly what constitutes a "meme", is very relevant to the topic. Do you know what one is?

A meme derives from Evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins. It's a group memory or received wisdom which is self perpetuating in social consciousness in much the same way as a successful gene is perpetuated in the genome. In internet terms it's a vessel for an idea. 

Sometimes it's a non verbal comment such as

High Quality Jacki-Chan Rage Face Blank Meme Template

or

High Quality Captain Picard Facepalm Blank Meme Template

Sometimes it's a comment such as,

*No Title |  SO YOU POST ALL YOUR PROBLEMS ON FACEBOOK; I BET THAT SOLVES ALL OF THEM | image tagged in memes,creepy condescending wonka | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

More recently it seems to have encompassed any picture posted online

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, Athy said:

The members of teaching unions are teachers. The cartoon is about schools.

Agreed.

Nothing to do with Boris?

There is gong to be a helluva barney about this, should have used the standard protocols for negotiation.

Easy to close things down, but not vice versa.

Edited by LadyG

16 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Agreed.

Nothing to do with Boris?

There is gong to be a helluva barney about this, should have used the standard protocols for negotiation.

Easy to close things down, but not vice versa.

Indeed. It would be interesting to know the NUT red lines on the subject. If the levels of "safety" demanded are not realistically achievable then that's the virtual abolition of state education. I'm going back to work on monday and suspect I will be more at risk than a teacher. 

12 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Indeed. It would be interesting to know the NUT red lines on the subject. If the levels of "safety" demanded are not realistically achievable then that's the virtual abolition of state education. I'm going back to work on monday and suspect I will be more at risk than a teacher. 

An interesting comment from a teacher that I saw on tv, was that he felt it was better to distance teach the children than to do very limited work in the classroom, spending more time on bio security than on actual teaching. While distance learning he was able to give one to one attention. This opinion is echoed by a friend who is keeping her children home for exactly that reason.

1 hour ago, Sir Nibble said:

A meme derives from Evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins. It's a group memory or received wisdom which is self perpetuating in social consciousness in much the same way as a successful gene is perpetuated in the genome. In internet terms it's a vessel for an idea. 

Sometimes it's a non verbal comment such as

High Quality Jacki-Chan Rage Face Blank Meme Template

or

High Quality Captain Picard Facepalm Blank Meme Template

Sometimes it's a comment such as,

*No Title |  SO YOU POST ALL YOUR PROBLEMS ON FACEBOOK; I BET THAT SOLVES ALL OF THEM | image tagged in memes,creepy condescending wonka | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

More recently it seems to have encompassed any picture posted online

Thank you!

So the "meme" word perhaps derives from "memory".

14 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

An interesting comment from a teacher that I saw on tv, was that he felt it was better to distance teach the children than to do very limited work in the classroom, spending more time on bio security than on actual teaching. While distance learning he was able to give one to one attention. This opinion is echoed by a friend who is keeping her children home for exactly that reason.

Which presumes that the teaching is the only thing going on. Where would we be if hospitals could,t cope because all the staff were at home with their children?

7 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

c8410ecbcabc0f95e1343787de6b7a58.jpg.f7582a165301b74f5337e3ab578fbede.jpg

Interesting thing this. In my experience it tends to be women who collapse into a whimpering heap at the first sniffle whereasen keep going so long as an arm and leg count continues to add up to four. Isn't "Man up" considered sexist these days?

3 hours ago, Athy said:

I assume it counts as a "meme", though frankly I'm not sure what one is. As "meme" is French for "same", I had thought that the term referred to those little films which some people post, which run for a few seconds and then repeat themselves over and over again - that would make sense, as they're replaying the "same" thing.

So, what does "meme" mean in the context of this thread? What are the pictures supposed to be the same as?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

21 minutes ago, Athy said:

That should be "mene"!

Worrying that Richard Dawkins FRS FRSL doesn't know how to spell a word which he coined - reflects on the state of education in England. I blame the teachers.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

I had thought that the term referred to those little films which some people post, which run for a few seconds and then repeat themselves over and over again - that would make sense, as they're replaying the "same" thing.

I think they are called gifs

59 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Which presumes that the teaching is the only thing going on. Where would we be if hospitals could,t cope because all the staff were at home with their children?

Could schools become like care homes if the staff have no ppe? 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, frahkn said:

Worrying that Richard Dawkins FRS FRSL doesn't know how to spell a word which he coined - reflects on the state of education in England. I blame the teachers.

So do I. But what can one expect from colonials?