Post your COVID 19 memes

bagginz

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, Athy said:

I wonder why "vaxxer" is often written with two "x"s. After all, someone who fixes things is a fixer, not a fixxer, and builders don't use a concrete mixxer.

Probably as its a modern word originating from internet discussions, in a similar vein to “doxxer” or “haxxor” stemming from online chat rooms where the cool kids used “leet-speak” (leet/l33t/1337 meaning elite), which is like a whole language to itself derived from shortened words and typing errors caused by folk trying to get a point across quickly in a fast-flowing chat window and trying to appear part of the crowd.

33 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Probably as its a modern word originating from internet discussions, in a similar vein to “doxxer” or “haxxor” stemming from online chat rooms where the cool kids used “leet-speak” (leet/l33t/1337 meaning elite), which is like a whole language to itself derived from shortened words and typing errors caused by folk trying to get a point across quickly in a fast-flowing chat window and trying to appear part of the crowd.

Blimey. I'll read your post a few more times and it may start to make sense.

I assume that "doxxer" is a port employee, and "haxxor" is a tool used for cutting wood....or did you just makke them up?

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

I assume that "doxxer" is a port employee, and "haxxor" is a tool used for cutting wood....or did you just makke them up?

Surely a "haxxor" is a tool for cutting metal.

And does that make a "junior haxxor" a tool for cutting children?

Edited by David Mack
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

I use a haxxor to cut metal 

17 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Surely a "haxxor" is a tool for cutting metal.

And does that make a "junior haxxor" a tool for cutting children?

:clapping:

16 minutes ago, WhiteSuit said:

I use a haxxor to cut metal 

Yes indeed, Forgive my terminological inexactitude, it's still early.

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

"Pwned"

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Doxxing is the act of deliberately revealing a victims private details online (doxx -> docs -> documents) such as address, phone number, place of employment, etc.

a Haxxor is the online term for a Hacker.

I know you're being deliberately dense for comedic effect, but i have a soft spot for n00bs so have explained it 😛 

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Strange that a site moderator doesn't know what doxxing is.  

Why? I think I have a reasonable command of the English language but I'm not omniscient. If, as has been implied, it's a word used predominantly by teenagers and young adults amongst themselves, it is highly unlikely that I'd come into contact with it. As I suspect that you don't belong to either of those groups, how do you know it?

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Why? I think I have a reasonable command of the English language but I'm not omniscient. If, as has been implied, it's a word used predominantly by teenagers and young adults amongst themselves, it is highly unlikely that I'd come into contact with it. As I suspect that you don't belong to either of those groups, how do you know it?

*Deleted.  Not worth it.

Edited by doratheexplorer
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I know you're being deliberately dense for comedic effect, but i have a soft spot for n00bs so have explained it 😛 

I am not being "dense", deliberately or otherwise; and as I've been on CWDF for at least ten years I'm far from being a noob. Please be careful what you write.

I'm with Athy on this - I have no idea what is being talked about.

This being a boating forum I would have supposed that Doxxing could be 'docking'.

At least with rhyming slang there is some structure and sense to it - how on earth does 'doxxing' get to revealing someones name and address on the internet ?

19 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Doxxing is the act of deliberately revealing a victims private details online (doxx -> docs -> documents) such as address, phone number, place of employment, etc.

a Haxxor is the online term for a Hacker.

I didn't know that and I didn't plan on looking it up, but then again I have been called a racist because I used the wrong term when actually defending someone

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

I am not being "dense", deliberately or otherwise; and as I've been on CWDF for at least ten years I'm far from being a noob. Please be careful what you write.

There is another on is a noob the same as a knob or a Richard head

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I didn't know that and I didn't plan on looking it up, but then again I have been called a racist because I used the wrong term when actually defending someone

There is another on is a noob the same as a knob or a Richard head

To me it means someone who is new or inexperienced, also written as "newby", "newbie" or "nooby". That's another word which had emerged only over the past few years: I doubt whether it was in use before the 21st century, at least in Britain. Before that, words like "newcomer" or "tyro" were more common.

Edited by Athy

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

I was surprised to see that doxxing made it into the OED as long ago as 2009, the same year as cryptocurrency and jeggings.

As well as use by teenagers and young adults it is in common use amongst those who work in information security, and provide advice on maintaining one's privacy when using the internet.