Post your COVID 19 memes

bagginz

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Sir Nibble said:

Where do you get your insight into what the prime minister means when it's not what he says? With your academic knowledge what is the alternative to herd immunity?

It goes unspoken but I presume you completed your MSc?

Yes I did complete it.  MSc with merit in Public Health, graduated 2012.

This is what he said on the 5th of March:

"Philip Schofield: Is the delay essentially trying to spread this out so it doesn’t all happen at once and overwhelm the NHS, and that you can actually delay it into perhaps the summer when it’s a little bit quieter and the ordinary flu might have died down a wee bit, is that what you’re doing?

Boris Johnson: Well it’s a very, very important question, and that’s where a lot of the debate has been and one of the theories is, that perhaps you could take it on the chin, take it all in one go and allow the disease, as it were, to move through the population, without taking as many draconian measures."

People can make their own mind up on whether or not he was advocating a herd immunity outcome.  Ex Brummie said he wasn't.  I say he was.  In fact, the government's attempts to flatten the curve in no way change the basic goal of achieving herd immunity.  The important thing is to manage the outbreak so that our health services can cope.  So really, he's still in favour of herd immunity, contrary to what Ex Brummie said.

As I said in my last post, I'm not against herd immunity.  I never said I was.  You made that up in your own mind.  Don't worry, I'm not expecting an apology.

I suppose there might be other alternatives to herd immunity but I can't see them being hugely succesful.  The most obvious would be the development of an effective anti-viral drug so that people still catch the virus but aren't badly affected so there's no good reason for social distancing etc.  This approach has worked extremely well with HIV and some other viruses.  But the way covid19 spreads, herd immunity would still be acheived in the end.  Essentially, any virus of this sort is unlikely to ever be resolved any other way.  When the R0 drop to a sufficiently low level, the pandemic will burn itself out but the virus will still be knocking around, primarily in third world countries I would imagine.  Years later it may well return and cause another pandemic, like H1N1 did.  Certainly, the currently world population makes future disease pandemic a certainty.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Stop the miserable doom arguments, this thread is light hearted and meant to bring some relief.

Go back to the Covid 2 cases or Brexit threads if you want to handbag each other to death.

I'm going to repeat this - there are other threads to discuss gloom, doom and who did what when - keep this thread for the light-hearted (or black humour) stuff

2 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I'm going to repeat this - there are other threads to discuss gloom, doom and who did what when - keep this thread for the light-hearted (or black humour) stuff

The best way to ensure this is to stop people posting memes or quotes which have a party political dimension.  Then delete anythign posted which does.

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The best way to ensure this is to stop people posting memes or quotes which have a party political dimension.  Then delete anythign posted which does.

Or you could just ignore them?

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

I could, but it's not me that has a problem with it.  Maybe you could have directed this comment at Matty or Patrick?

?

24 minutes ago, Higgs said:

(Sorry, don't seem to be able to get rid of this).

Several posts removed in accordance with instructions given by a moderator in post no. 555.

20 minutes ago, Athy said:

Several posts removed in accordance with instructions given by a moderator in post no. 555.

Do I have a doppelganger? Something feels a bit cryptic. 

"(Sorry, don't seem to be able to get rid of this)." - Athy 

?

Edited by Higgs

47 minutes ago, Higgs said:

"(Sorry, don't seem to be able to get rid of this)." - Athy 

?

No, I couldn't, so it seemed only courteous to give an explanation and apology.

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Boris Johnson: Well it’s a very, very important question, and that’s where a lot of the debate has been and one of the theories is, that perhaps you could take it on the chin, take it all in one go and allow the disease, as it were, to move through the population, without taking as many draconian measures."

However, he continued to say that his view is that “it would be better if we take all the measures that we can now to stop the peak of the disease.”

https://fullfact.org/health/boris-johnson-coronavirus-this-morning/

(As the original post, which contained an out-of-context, partial quote has been allowed to remain, I post this as a rebuttal.)

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

However, he continued to say that his view is that “it would be better if we take all the measures that we can now to stop the peak of the disease.”

https://fullfact.org/health/boris-johnson-coronavirus-this-morning/

(As the original post, which contained an out-of-context, partial quote has been allowed to remain, I post this as a rebuttal.)

But then repeatedly said "we will follow best medical & scientific advice" (and do whatever they suggest), which appeared to be (in the early days) a bit like Sergeant Wilson in Dads Army giving orders :

"We'd be ever so grateful, if you think you can manage it, if you would not go too close to other people for a while"

This subsequently went to 'advice' (which was pretty much ignored) 

The it finally went to be an 'instruction' towards the end of March.