Post your COVID 19 memes

bagginz

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

And what is this 'al-oom-in-um' of which she speaks?

:unsure:

The loss of syllables appears to coincide with a concurrent loss of IQ...

27 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

No, more like mid 90's

Ahh, not the Song & Dance tour then. 

5 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

I believe their way is the original (and therefore correct) way of spelling it, and it was a lot later that we Brits added the spurious letter i

Bunkium.

:D

3 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

I believe their way is the original (and therefore correct) way of spelling it, and it was a lot later that we Brits added the spurious letter i

Thank you - after many years of living and working with Americans, both abroad and in the grand 'ole US of A, whenever I say the 'aly' word, I have to stop and say it the UK way in my head otherwise it comes out the American way and all the younger family members take the proverbial! I shall now refer them to you!!!

During WW2, Americans wishing to pass as European had to remember to cross their legs differently. The American way was to rest the ankle on top of the knee. All down to mannerisms. 

Edited by Higgs

1 hour ago, Keeping Up said:

Hmm... so why don’t they say “Strontum” or “equilibrum” or “condominum” or “pandemonum” or “endothelum” or “planetarum” or “crematorum” or “magisterum” or...

And why do some states say that they’re going to sodder a circuit board, or that a buoy is pronounced “booey”? Would they say that a piece of wood is very booeyant?

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

Isn't it the standard Yankee way of saying aluminium. ?

Point proven... they elected Trump as president after all...

1 hour ago, Keeping Up said:

I believe their way is the original (and therefore correct) way of spelling it, and it was a lot later that we Brits added the spurious letter

It’s a bit more complicated than that. We can blame Sir Humphry Davy...

Sir Humphry made a bit of a mess of naming this new element, at first spelling it alumium (this was in 1807) then changing it to aluminum, and finally settling on aluminium in 1812. His classically educated scientific colleagues preferred aluminium right from the start, because it had more of a classical ring, and chimed harmoniously with many other elements whose names ended in –ium, like potassium, sodium, and magnesium, all of which had been named by Davy.

from here: 

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm
2 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

Condominium - I always thought they made of rubber ???

Confused of Tunbridge Wells

And conform to BS EN ISO 4074, part of which I believe states that they must be able to contain a litre of liquid without rupturing...

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

It’s a bit more complicated than that. We can blame Sir Humphry Davy...

from here: 

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm

Fair enough. What annoys me more, though, is that we are now supposed to refer to Sulfur instead of Sulphur

Just now, Keeping Up said:

Fair enough. What annoys me more, though, is that we are now supposed to refer to Sulfur instead of Sulphur

Yup, and because of that Gibbo went right through his site to change ‘sulphated’ to ‘sulfated’. I simply refuse and if that makes me wrong I couldn’t care less. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Higgs said:

Isn't it the standard Yankee way of saying aluminium. ?

Perhaps.

But it's just wrong, wrong, wrong!

Like, train station, driver's licence or licence plates.

Whose language is it anyway?

Bloody rebel colonists, grrrrrrrrr!

:angry:

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yup, and because of that Gibbo went right through his site to change ‘sulphated’ to ‘sulfated’. I simply refuse and if that makes me wrong I couldn’t care less. 

I wonder why he needed to do that. Was he trying to accommodate to an American market. 

5 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Perhaps.

Whose language is it anyway?

Bloody rebel colonists, grrrrrrrrr!

Not for an American. They did win their independence.

Edited by Higgs

17 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

I don't particularly like "train station", but it is logical - after all, we say "Bus station", not "Road station" (unlike the logical French, who do).

What is wrong with "Licence plates"?

6 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

I wonder how many people have you on ignore due to your persistent unpleasantness?

You might try and pay them the courtesy of using capital letters, where they are commonly used.