Post your COVID 19 memes

bagginz

Featured Posts

23 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I did it in my head, but using exactly your method.

It's half of whatever plus a half for a full egg then the previous one has to be twice that number plus one egg, so it's very quick once you have twigged it.

You could calculate it as a function of n iterations, but you would still need to count all the way down to the first iteration to derive it so it's probably unnecessary!

If he is going to give away half an egg, there is no reason why he might not have given away 1.5 or n.5 eggs so there are multiple solutions?

2 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

If he is going to give away half an egg, there is no reason why he might not have given away 1.5 or n.5 eggs so there are multiple solutions?

The maths would work for those cases, but the original problem was stated as "he meets [a person] who asks to buy half his eggs plus half an egg" so it seemed reasonable to solve for that. :) 

On 14/04/2020 at 15:53, Alan de Enfield said:

When the Irish looked at changing 'the side of the road' they drive on, the proposal was that there should be a staggered introduction & that those heading 'North' should drive on the RH side, and those heading South on the LH side

We never looked into changing the side of the road and this notice was from an block of flats in the UK.

"Humour" aside do you think you'll ever realise just how racist you actually are?? Or is it just a "senior" thing Alf de Garnette.

52 minutes ago, Jellybelly said:

We never looked into changing the side of the road and this notice was from an block of flats in the UK.

"Humour" aside do you think you'll ever realise just how racist you actually are?? Or is it just a "senior" thing Alf de Garnette.

I 'm Irish, though I've been away for a while. The post is not racist - you devalue the huge amount of genuine racism which goes on, with this type of over reaction.

4 hours ago, Jellybelly said:

I would argue Irish people are not a race but a nationailty. 

There is a degree of merit in what you say, but 'Irish' is just a peg to hang the joke on. It would work just as well if say people with eyes further apart than average (or too close together, for political balance) had a reputation for eccentric logic. In other countries Polish people have the same reputation.

I once had a personal experience of amusing Irish logic. Years ago I picked the phone up and a strong Irish acent asked to speak to Peter. I said sorry, wrong number, there is no Peter here. Without the slightest pause the Irish voice said "Well if its the wrong number, why did you pick up the phone?"

Is that amusing or racist?

9 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

No - because only one solution meets the "and had no eggs left at the end"

The ultimate transaction had therefore to satisfy "Half your eggs plus half an egg" is "all your egg's" which only works if the previous transaction had left exactly one egg

The penultimate transaction had to satisfy "half your eggs plus half an egg" leaves you with one which only works if you started with (exactly) three

Repeat.

7 hours ago, Jellybelly said:

I'm so sorry that I appear to have hit a nerve, maybe it is just as a result of the humour by-pass you had.

7 hours ago, Jellybelly said:

Who is 'Alf de Garnette'? Alf Garnett's froggy cousin perhaps? Or is that racial stereotyping?

7 hours ago, frahkn said:

I 'm Irish, though I've been away for a while. The post is not racist - you devalue the huge amount of genuine racism which goes on, with this type of over reaction.

If you don't feel aggrieved that's your choice but I do doubt your Irish credentials if you feel nothing , I'll leave you in your ignorance.

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I would argue Irish people are not a race but a nationailty. 

There is a degree of merit in what you say, but 'Irish' is just a peg to hang the joke on. It would work just as well if say people with eyes further apart than average (or too close together, for political balance) had a reputation for eccentric logic. In other countries Polish people have the same reputation.

I once had a personal experience of amusing Irish logic. Years ago I picked the phone up and a strong Irish acent asked to speak to Peter. I said sorry, wrong number, there is no Peter here. Without the slightest pause the Irish voice said "Well if its the wrong number, why did you pick up the phone?"

Is that amusing or racist?

Semntics maybe but you're possibly correct. Maybe I should have used discriminatory instead.

Peoples eyes being too close together is not the same as labeling an entire nation and it's diaspora as stupid. Ask the Polish, you'll find quite a large number of them take offense too. 

And your anecdote could have been just as funny without the need to bring in any nationality..

1 minute ago, Jellybelly said:

And your anecdote could have been just as funny without the need to bring in any nationality..

So, logically, you are saying that it's just as funny as it stands, in which case it surely does not present a problem for you.

6 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Similar to those jumping on the internet bandwagon, trying to be cool in front of their bookface  and forum"friends"., using a phrase not original  to them, trying to pass it off as their own.

And wrong, I'm not offended on behalf of someone, just trying to inform others that they are offensive.

57 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm so sorry that I appear to have hit a nerve, maybe it is just as a result of the humour by-pass you had.

There was no humour to bypass, And you're back handed apology  is as weak, but not as ugly as your original "joke". A "joke"  where you and like minded idiots rely the need to slag off a nationality rather than actually use any actual wit.

But I'll leave you in your ignorance. To coin an apt Irish phrase "There's just no arguing with thick"

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Jellybelly said:

Similar to those jumping on the internet bandwagon, trying to be cool in front of their bookface  and forum"friends"., using a phrase not original  to them, trying to pass it off as their own.

And wrong, I'm not offended on behalf of someone, just trying to inform others that they are offensive.

JB, I see that you have been an occasional contributor here for a number of years, and of course we're pleased to see you back; but I hope that you have not come here simply to pick a fight where no fight is necessary.

What is a "bookface"?

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Who is 'Alf de Garnette'? Alf Garnett's froggy cousin perhaps? Or is that racial stereotyping?

Alf Garnet was a notorious television racist. Alf de Garnette is a play on Alan de whatever his name was. 

You drew the conclusion it had something to do with being derogatory to the French not me. Perhaps you should ask yourself the question I asked Alan. How racist are you? Afterall why jump to French, why not Belgian, Canadian or any other country where similar names would be common?

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In your opinion, which is worth no more or less than any other opinion.

Except my opinion doesn't label a person as stupid just because of the place of their birth.

I'm not narrow minded enough to assume every English person is priggish or pompous solely because of the likes of you that can't see that your jokes are offensive. Is it your opinion too that to don boot polish, drop to one knee and sing Mammy is not offensive? What's the difference.

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

JB, I see that you have been an occasional contributor here for a number of years, and of course we're pleased to see you back; but I hope that you have not come here simply to pick a fight where no fight is necessary.

What is a "bookface"?

No, just futilely answering posts directed at me to which I'll stop now, Hopefully it might just help some people realise that what they find funny is offensive to others. But with some that will never happen.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, 1st ade said:

No - because only one solution meets the "and had no eggs left at the end"

The ultimate transaction had therefore to satisfy "Half your eggs plus half an egg" is "all your egg's" which only works if the previous transaction had left exactly one egg

The penultimate transaction had to satisfy "half your eggs plus half an egg" leaves you with one which only works if you started with (exactly) three

Repeat.

Oops. Red face.:blush: All these years and I still forget to read the question properly before answering.