Post your COVID 19 memes

bagginz

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

image.png.4ba9b0002d8f50ede5a752ee6f0491f5.png

Spot the problem.....

Believe it or not, a desk-sailor at the Admiralty actually proposed the equivalent rules for safely navigating the Thames Estuary when steam powered ships & tugs first started. Until then the rules of sailing, relative to the wind, had applied. It took a number of collisions, sunken ships, and drowned sailors before he relented and changed his mind to "keep to starboard" was introduced.

The left hand, right hand thing reminds me of clockwise, anticlockwise.

One of my motorcycles .... of a twitchy handling nature says "adjust suspension damper to more damping by turning adjuster clockwise". 

You access the damper via an upside down nut.....

So which way do you turn it?

The wrong way to what I did when I found out when leaned right over on a severe bumpy bend!  ;)

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok, here's another to figure out. Took me while!

Some may have heard this on Radio 2 yesterday morning....

Johnny has some chickens and therefore has eggs for sale.
On his way to market he meets Emma who asks to buy half his eggs plus half an egg. They do the deal and Johnny continues on his journey.
He then meets Debbie who asks to buy half his eggs plus half an egg. The deal is done.
Next Johnny meets Chris who asks to buy half his eggs plus half an egg. Once again Johnny pockets the cash.
Further down the road he bumps into Ben who also buys half of his eggs plus half an egg.
Finally he meets Anne who asks to buy half his eggs plus half an egg. The sale takes place and Johhny has no eggs left.

How many eggs did he start with and how did he do all the deals without breaking any eggs?

Done in my head before I go to bed... 31?

Yep, 31.

But yes, half of 31 is 15.5, so he sold 15.5 eggs (plus half an egg to avoid breaking any) to  Emma, leaving him with 15 eggs, and so on to the end.

I had to write it down, starting at the end with Ann's purchase at the end to get there. Her purchase can only have been ONE whole egg. Then go back up the chain working out each purchase.

Was there a simpler, more logical way? Did anyone do it in their head?

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yep, 31.

But yes, half of 31 is 15.5, so he sold 15.5 eggs (plus half an egg to avoid breaking any) to  Emma, leaving him with 15 eggs, and so on to the end.

I had to write it down, starting at the end with Ann's purchase at the end to get there. Her purchase can only have been ONE whole egg. Then go back up the chain working out each purchase.

Was there a simpler, more logical way? Did anyone do it in their head?

I did it in my head, but using exactly your method.

It's half of whatever plus a half for a full egg then the previous one has to be twice that number plus one egg, so it's very quick once you have twigged it.

You could calculate it as a function of n iterations, but you would still need to count all the way down to the first iteration to derive it so it's probably unnecessary!

15 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

Believe it or not, a desk-sailor at the Admiralty actually proposed the equivalent rules for safely navigating the Thames Estuary when steam powered ships & tugs first started. Until then the rules of sailing, relative to the wind, had applied. It took a number of collisions, sunken ships, and drowned sailors before he relented and changed his mind to "keep to starboard" was introduced.

Reminds me of the old story:

It has just been announced that in Ireland that they are about to change from driving on the left to driving on the right to come into line with other EU countries - actually I think the story dates back to when it was called something else! In any event, from next Sunday all the cars will switch over to driving on the right and if it is a success, all the trucks and lorries will do so from the next month.

Edited by Mike Todd
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Reminds me of the old story:

It has just been announced that in Ireland that they are about to change from driving on the left to driving on the right to come into line with other EU countries - actually I think the story dates back to when it was called something else! In any event, from next Sunday all the cars will switch over to driving on the right and if it is a success, all the trucks and lorries will do so from the next month.

As in Post 225? 

:hug:

It is with great sadness that I have to mention the loss of a few local businesses as a result of COVID-19. A local bra manufacturer has gone bust, a submarine company has gone under, a manufacturer of food blenders has gone into liquidation, a dog kennel has had to call in the retrievers and a company supplying paper for origami enthusiasts has folded. The local strip club has gone tits up, Interflora is pruning its business and Dynorod has gone down the drain.  The saddest one though is the ice cream van man found dead, covered in nuts and raspberry sauce.  He coulnd't take it any more and topped himself.

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It is with great sadness that I have to mention the loss of a few local businesses as a result of COVID-19. A local bra manufacturer has gone bust, a submarine company has gone under, a manufacturer of food blenders has gone into liquidation, a dog kennel has had to call in the retrievers and a company supplying paper for origami enthusiasts has folded. The local strip club has gone tits up, Interflora is pruning its business and Dynorod has gone down the drain.  The saddest one though is the ice cream van man found dead, covered in nuts and raspberry sauce.  He coulnd't take it any more and topped himself.

:clapping:

Brilliant! All your own work?

Has the local telephone shop called the receivers in?

Edited by Athy