Post your COVID 19 memes

bagginz

Featured Posts

On 12/04/2020 at 12:26, Mike the Boilerman said:

If the internet proper goes down, mobiles stop working, the ambulance and police service can't operate, deliveries to shops grind to a stop, as does much manufacturing. National Grid will prolly fail, gas networks,train signalling, and on the list goes....

That is not how the internet works.  Possibly, shop deliveries might be affected, but none of the rest.  [I am just excited that there is finally a topic on here that I know something about...]. 

53 minutes ago, Wittenham said:

That is not how the internet works.  Possibly, shop deliveries might be affected, but none of the rest.  [I am just excited that there is finally a topic on here that I know something about...]. 

Surely that depends on how much of the internet goes down, and which parts.

32 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Surely that depends on how much of the internet goes down, and which parts.

The [public] Internet runs over network infrastructure [fiber optic cables, routers, data centres, etc],   If enough of that network infrastructure falls over, **some** of the effects MtB listed might happen, but those businesses do not run over the internet.  Instead, they run on private networks, some of which might share infrastructure with the [public] Internet.  Also, both those private networks and the internet network are designed to handle a break somewhere and route around it.  Clearly, a big enough break and there is nowhere to route to.  The Internet [actually, the network protocol that the internet uses] was originally created to handle military requirements so that communication could be maintained even if, say, a big network site was taken out.

And I still can't figure out if my batteries are charged sufficiently or not....

1 hour ago, Wittenham said:

The [public] Internet runs over network infrastructure [fiber optic cables, routers, data centres, etc],   If enough of that network infrastructure falls over, **some** of the effects MtB listed might happen, but those businesses do not run over the internet.  Instead, they run on private networks, some of which might share infrastructure with the [public] Internet.  Also, both those private networks and the internet network are designed to handle a break somewhere and route around it.  Clearly, a big enough break and there is nowhere to route to.  The Internet [actually, the network protocol that the internet uses] was originally created to handle military requirements so that communication could be maintained even if, say, a big network site was taken out.

And I still can't figure out if my batteries are charged sufficiently or not....

They're not then..... 

:)

• Happy 1

4 hours ago, Wittenham said:

Indeed, and most data centres are "mirrored", either as a separate dedicated site or in space on other data centres, often in other countries. Power and cooling systems for data centres are always duplicated and sometimes triplicated. Major fibre routes are often duplicated.

So that only leaves local links to fail.

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

Major fibre routes are often duplicated.

Except it's worrying how many triple redundant data links all leave the building down the same trunking.

We discovered this at a major UK datacentre many years ago when a highways contractor yanked the conduit out of the ground with a digger ...

10 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Except it's worrying how many triple redundant data links all leave the building down the same trunking.

We discovered this at a major UK datacentre many years ago when a highways contractor yanked the conduit out of the ground with a digger ...

I have seen the same, even when the links were specified [and paid for] to be physically redundant.  A surprising number of 'simultaneous outages' for 'allegedly' redundant routing:  https://www.silicon.co.uk/networks/broadband/google-offline-fibre-cables-cut-325443

30 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Like Wayne said a few days ago, you lie awake and think it through...

Ok, here's another to figure out. Took me while!

Some may have heard this on Radio 2 yesterday morning....

Johnny has some chickens and therefore has eggs for sale.
On his way to market he meets Emma who asks to buy half his eggs plus half an egg. They do the deal and Johnny continues on his journey.
He then meets Debbie who asks to buy half his eggs plus half an egg. The deal is done.
Next Johnny meets Chris who asks to buy half his eggs plus half an egg. Once again Johnny pockets the cash.
Further down the road he bumps into Ben who also buys half of his eggs plus half an egg.
Finally he meets Anne who asks to buy half his eggs plus half an egg. The sale takes place and Johhny has no eggs left.

How many eggs did he start with and how did he do all the deals without breaking any eggs?

49 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

image.png.4ba9b0002d8f50ede5a752ee6f0491f5.png

Spot the problem.....

When the Irish looked at changing 'the side of the road' they drive on, the proposal was that there should be a staggered introduction & that those heading 'North' should drive on the RH side, and those heading South on the LH side

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When the Irish looked at changing 'the side of the road' they drive on, the proposal was that there should be a staggered introduction & that those heading 'North' should drive on the RH side, and those heading South on the LH side

I heard that all the cars were to drive on the right for an experimental period of one month. If it worked out ok, then all the lorries and buses would swap over too.