Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
doratheexplorer

This is my lockdown. Tell me yours.

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, nb Innisfree said:

World wars are finished, instead we will have 'wars' against nature's biological weapons. Basically harmless viruses modified by labs to keep the threat alive, bolstered by propaganda, after all people need to fight something to 'survive' and justify living. Like past 'threats' - nuclear destruction via cold war - ice age - global warming - just to name three - and now global pandemic. Its all a big con, perceived threats keep the masses under control. 

Covid 19 pandemic is mass panic.

OK. so we've moved on to conspiracy theories.

Time to trot out the one about the Titanic?

31 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

It hit a virus and sank?

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

Our postman has started playing that game we used to play as kids - knock on the door, then run away! Only when I opened the door there was a parcel on the step.☺️

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Our postman has started playing that game we used to play as kids - knock on the door, then run away! Only when I opened the door there was a parcel on the step.☺️

that game's a bit better than that well known pastime often referred to as 'Pass the Parcel in a Belfast Pub'.

19 hours ago, bizzard said:

Very very noticeable here, never seen the sky so clear and blue. B.Stortford near Stansted airport.

There was a paper published by an American author following 9/11, when aircraft over the USA were banned. He found that the difference between day and night temperatures increased during the time there were no aircraft in the sky. His hypothesis was that the contrails from aircraft increased the earth's albedo, thus lowering daytime temperature and increasing night temperature, and that the full effect of global warming was masked by this cooling effect.

Too small a sample to be statistically significant, and I suspect a similar effect would be unnoticeable in the UK, due to our more varied weather, but interesting nonetheless.

Day 6.

I have been working and Liam has been busy in the living room filling some shrinkage cracks ready for painting the ceiling tomorrow, the walls the day after and some papering the day after that.

He is dragging it out though. The living room is out of bounds until Friday evening when he claims it will be finished! 

6 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

OK. so we've moved on to conspiracy theories.

So old hat, the new conspiracy on the block is 5g

18 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Day 6.

I have been working and Liam has been busy in the living room filling some shrinkage cracks ready for painting the ceiling tomorrow, the walls the day after and some papering the day after that.

He is dragging it out though. The living room is out of bounds until Friday evening when he claims it will be finished! 

I've been trying to teach my 10 year old grandson how to play the guitar.....via video link.

Slow progress!

I spent Saturday beginning the preparation of my trailer boat for painting and today I got 2 coats on the cockpit area.

nice to have a boat that I can keep in the front yard and fix up whenever there is a fine spell of weather - even just an hour or two.  B)

e3.JPG

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Murflynn said:

I spent Saturday beginning the preparation of my trailer boat for painting and today I got 2 coats on the cockpit area.

nice to have a boat that I can keep in the front yard and fix up whenever there is a fine spell of weather - even just an hour or two.  B)

e3.JPG

It's a shame we didn't think to get NC put on the drive. We could have got a few bits done. Instead it is sat in the yard doing nothing!

Day 7

A full week in the confines of Gateford Park. Cabin fever has not yet set in.

Work has probably been more productive than normal without all of the usual distractions in the office, but I am missing the interaction with fellow colleagues. 

Having more time at home without the commute is making keeping on top of the housework much easier.

Sydney is loving the extra time with us and in his garden. He is currently crashed out knackered rather than charging around the house. 

It has been a week since I have been in a car. I'm definitely doing more walking during the working week than usual as I'm doing Sydneys dinnertime walk and we are both certainly eating more healthily and not snacking like we do at work.

So far things are heading in the right direction. I'm on annual leave next week so that could change.

On 29/03/2020 at 23:45, nb Innisfree said:

. Its all a big con, perceived threats keep the masses under control. 

That's why organised religion was invented.

• Love 1

I haven't left home (beyond my front garden) since my course of radiotherapy ended on 10th March, and my son (plus the lodger and his girlfriend) have been doing a good job of getting enough shopping in, while I've been keeping busy doing DIY, gardening and cookery among other things. I've done some quite creative cookery making use of the available ingredients, tonight I made pizzas, with the base being made from gram flour (basically from chickpeas) from one of the Asian grocery shops, using a recipe I found online; it kind of worked. My son is able to do his work from home on his laptop, but misses his hobby of playing football.

However I'm due to have an MRI scan tomorrow (Thursday 2nd) and I'm still trying to find out whether that should and can go ahead. I guess it should because the plan a doctor explained to me three weeks ago was that the consultant and his MDT (multi disciplinary team) would be able to look at it, have a think, then see me on Monday 6th to explain how they plan to keep me alive from there onwards. I feel very well indeed, but the nature of this thing is that I may well need further treatment, possibly more radiotherapy (hard to organise with COVID-19 about I suppose) or chaemotherapy (more possible, they would just prescribe tablets for that i gather). But can it? I don't know what sort of lockdown members of the MDT might be having, the email address on the letter they sent me is out of date so when I tried using that it bounced back, so I tried phoning their number (i.e. the consultant's secretary) today but could only leave a message. I'm yet to discover whether the radiologists can be there to do it, and whether I'll get hospital transport (sitting in the vehicle less than 2m away from the driver and any other patient) or would have to either risk going on public transport, or even just walk there! The latter doesn't seem too daft an idea; it's a few miles, but I feel physically up to it, I have an A-Z and could plot a route to avoid places that are likely to be busiest, and I'd have two good reasons to be out; attending an urgent medical appointment and doing one form of exercise, a long brisk walk. But walking back home afterwards would be a second exercise outing in one day?

• Love 3

7 hours ago, Peter X said:

I haven't left home (beyond my front garden) since my course of radiotherapy ended on 10th March, and my son (plus the lodger and his girlfriend) have been doing a good job of getting enough shopping in, while I've been keeping busy doing DIY, gardening and cookery among other things. I've done some quite creative cookery making use of the available ingredients, tonight I made pizzas, with the base being made from gram flour (basically from chickpeas) from one of the Asian grocery shops, using a recipe I found online; it kind of worked. My son is able to do his work from home on his laptop, but misses his hobby of playing football.

However I'm due to have an MRI scan tomorrow (Thursday 2nd) and I'm still trying to find out whether that should and can go ahead. I guess it should because the plan a doctor explained to me three weeks ago was that the consultant and his MDT (multi disciplinary team) would be able to look at it, have a think, then see me on Monday 6th to explain how they plan to keep me alive from there onwards. I feel very well indeed, but the nature of this thing is that I may well need further treatment, possibly more radiotherapy (hard to organise with COVID-19 about I suppose) or chaemotherapy (more possible, they would just prescribe tablets for that i gather). But can it? I don't know what sort of lockdown members of the MDT might be having, the email address on the letter they sent me is out of date so when I tried using that it bounced back, so I tried phoning their number (i.e. the consultant's secretary) today but could only leave a message. I'm yet to discover whether the radiologists can be there to do it, and whether I'll get hospital transport (sitting in the vehicle less than 2m away from the driver and any other patient) or would have to either risk going on public transport, or even just walk there! The latter doesn't seem too daft an idea; it's a few miles, but I feel physically up to it, I have an A-Z and could plot a route to avoid places that are likely to be busiest, and I'd have two good reasons to be out; attending an urgent medical appointment and doing one form of exercise, a long brisk walk. But walking back home afterwards would be a second exercise outing in one day?

New guidance to the police is that the number of times you excercise per day is not limited. They are being told to stick to what the emergency regulations say and not what Boris said. You can walk twice a day if you want.

In your case though please take care. After walking there and a day being tested, you will be knackered. I'd volunteer to drive you but we are 100 miles away. There are still taxis running which should be safe as no one is using them.

Keep safe Peter.

On 30/03/2020 at 17:22, Naughty Cal said:

It's a shame we didn't think to get NC put on the drive. We could have got a few bits done. Instead it is sat in the yard doing nothing!

I thought you sold her last year and bought a camper van instead? Evidently I am out of date.

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

I thought you sold her last year and bought a camper van instead? Evidently I am out of date.

Sale fell through as the chap buying it had to shut his business due to Coronavirus.

Motorhome is on hold now as we are unlikely to sell the boat in the current climate so we are doing a few more bits too it and keeping it for a couple of years or so until the markets recover. We may as well get some use out if it while we still have it. Although it is currently sat ashore in the boatyard which is shut :rolleyes:

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Sale fell through as the chap buying it had to shut his business due to Coronavirus.

Motorhome is on hold now as we are unlikely to sell the boat in the current climate so we are doing a few more bits too it and keeping it for a couple of years or so until the markets recover. We may as well get some use out if it while we still have it. Although it is currently sat ashore in the boatyard which is shut :rolleyes:

Dry boating in the front yard has certain advantages, it reminds me of those halcyon days of summer.  

I can go to bed at night and dream of moving silently on the river as the sun rises above the mist, the water mirror smooth, a little electric outboard quietly purring away in the background, geese and kingfishers startled by my approach, an occasional wave from an early towpath walker. 

What's not to like?

Got to go now - another bit of painting to get on with.   B)    :)

3 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Got to go now - another bit of painting to get on with.   B)    :)

I'm just watching the last bit of painting dry.

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I'm just watching the last bit of painting dry.

Comes naturally to a reds fan ...

:giggles:

• Horror 1

9 hours ago, Peter X said:

Nice to hear again from you Peter and sorry to hear of your continued health problems. I'd second what Dr Bob said about walking to the hospital. Presumably no-one in the household has a car? Them collecting you in their own vehicle would be the best possible outcome to minimise the chances of picking up any virus on the trip back. 

Wishing you all the best from me.

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Comes naturally to a reds fan ...

:giggles:

Oi, that's uncalled for!:giggles:

..we're goin' to win the league.......... (sometime?)

12 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

we're goin' to win the league.......... (sometime?)

I thought this year was supposed to be your year, and then the world shut.

Never mind the conspiracy theories about China and the USA - it was Man U wot dun it!

• Haha 1