Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
doratheexplorer

This is my lockdown. Tell me yours.

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I thought it was gonna be the Greta/CO2/climate change thing that would stop the excessive air travel in the end, but maybe not. Maybe it will be this virus transmission problem. 

I think the difference between Greta and the Corona bug is that people take Corona seriously.

5 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Has anyone else noticed how much fresher the air is lately? 

The air is certainly colder today?

8 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

The air is certainly colder today?

Aside from the temperature it is certainly fresher.

There has been the odd snow flurry here today!

37 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We had a curry last night. 

wow!

20 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

well yes - that's what happens when the wind is in the NE.

25 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But how many of these flights are passenger and how many freight?

is there a publicly displayed arrivals board at Heathrow for purely freight flights?

no, I didn't think so.

36 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Is there a publicly displayed arrivals board at Heathrow for purely freight flights?

no, I didn't think so.

Many regular passenger flights carry significant quantities of freight, in addition to passenger luggage. In the short term, the only way to maintain supplies of perishable imported goods (such as fresh fruit and vegetables), as well as online purchases from China and the like, is to continue with existing arrangements, albeit that with little or no passenger baggage they can probably get more freight per plane, meaning fewer flights.

11 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Many regular passenger flights carry significant quantities of freight, in addition to passenger luggage. In the short term, the only way to maintain supplies of perishable imported goods (such as fresh fruit and vegetables), as well as online purchases from China and the like, is to continue with existing arrangements, albeit that with little or no passenger baggage they can probably get more freight per plane, meaning fewer flights.

ISTR hearing on the bBC yesterday, that a lot of scheduled passenger flights are still running but empty of passengers, for exactly this reason. Holds full of cargo.

21 minutes ago, MartynG said:

It really is very noticeable here already and we are not in a particularly polluted area,  must be even more noticeable in the bigger cities.

Very very noticeable here, never seen the sky so clear and blue. B.Stortford near Stansted airport.

Less choppers flying. Can't remember the last one I heard. We are on the Battersea to Redhill chopper path.

Mainly "hoorah henrys" poncing to and fro sporting calander events. 

Edited by mark99

The 27 hole golf course we back onto has no-one on it. Apart from us locals who are walking their hounds and getting exercise.

Some people are taking advantage doing putting practice and taking the football over there.

I'm deffo a convert to video conferencing. This will be part of our future business plans. Less grief all round and kinder to planet.

Even our board meetings are now 100% dial ins. 

Edited by mark99

12 minutes ago, mark99 said:

I'm deffo a convert to video conferencing. This will be part of our future business plans. Less grief all round and kinder to planet.

We had just started to get into Microsoft Teams before the virus hit - quite a bit better than anything we have tried  before. 

I also  hope video conferencing will remain the method of choice after we get back to normal

Edited by MartynG

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

We had just starting to get into Microsoft Teams before the virus hit - quite a bit better than anything we have tried  before. 

I also  hope video conferencing will remain the method of choice after we get back to normal

I installed two Yealink Microsoft Teams meeting room systems two weeks ago in our offices, now sat empty. Great bits of kit though.

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

It really is very noticeable here already and we are not in a particularly polluted area,  must be even more noticeable in the bigger cities.

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Very very noticeable here, never seen the sky so clear and blue. B.Stortford near Stansted airport.

Same her but I thought it was my imagination . Maybe just the spring arriving ?

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Same her but I thought it was my imagination . Maybe just the spring arriving ?

Dont think so.

I'm pretty sure the increase in air quality will be massive. 

There may be downward pressure on commercial landlords rental yields. Once people like us question the need for an office when Technology facilitates remote meetings.

"Teams" does work with Linux and the Mac, also mobiles.

5 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Nope, well not around here.

But this is my lock down for a week or so :)

9 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

Reading above about the travel restrictions in New Zealand, I just checked the arrivals board at Heathrow - unbelievably there are multiple flights due in from all over the world. Why the hell the UK don't follow NZ's example and close all airports, ports and the tunnel is beyond belief. We are told to keep 2m away from each other, no crowds of more than two, no unnecessary  travel etc etc and they are still allowing travellers in. We are in a good logistical position to follow NZ's lead - we are an island! It would not be difficult to control essential imports etc.

It looks like there are two rational paths for governments to adopt to fight this.

They share a lot of common features, but also have a fundemental difference.

The most common approach is "flatten the curve" Once infection rates are beyond the reasonable ability to trace, track, and isolate every known contact of every infected person this is probably the only option.

This accepts that the virus will spread further, perhaps right to the time the population obtains either  herd immunity or a vaccination programme is completed.

The aim though is to limit peak infestation, by social isolation, to the the rate that stays within the ability of the hospital system to cope, so that admitted patients have a better chance of survival.  Deaths are expected at about 1%

New Zealand, and Wuhan? have adopted a different approach, that is to totally seal off outside sources of the virus and by extremely rigourous isolation and trace, track and isolate every known contact of existing infected people break the infection chain with the end point no community transmission. Infections will be limited to the limited people allowed to return from overseas, and those limited number of people that have to deal with them. This makes an effective trace, track and isolate system feasible. 

Why we had this option and Britain probably did not, was we acted much earlier on the infection curve, although at about the same chronological time.

With borders that were relatively easy to close we also had an advantage.

Both advantages are only advantages though if exploited early enough. We fervently hope so.

A disadvantage is, we will have an entire population with no immunity  at all. We must retain our isolation from the world until this point but we can reopen internally.

There is though the single most important factor of both approaches is that every individual must take extremly rigourous steps to either; prevent passing on their infection or keeping clear of every possible source of infection. It is the community response that will determine what works.

As an aside, the normally expected total passengers, domestic and international would be about  48000 passengers, it carried 670 only, although they are still operating passenger services into all their domestic destinations, transtasman, Pacific islands, Singapore and Los Angeles to maintain critical freight links.

We must think of others like never before.

And still find things to enjoy.

Edited by DandV

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Dont think so.

I'm pretty sure the increase in air quality will be massive. 

I think its the unusual Northerly air flow - dryer air - better clarity of the sky .

However there may be well also reduced pollution = better air quality.

Will see when the wind changes in the week.

World wars are finished, instead we will have 'wars' against nature's biological weapons. Basically harmless viruses modified by labs to keep the threat alive, bolstered by propaganda, after all people need to fight something to 'survive' and justify living. Like past 'threats' - nuclear destruction via cold war - ice age - global warming - just to name three - and now global pandemic. Its all a big con, perceived threats keep the masses under control. 

Covid 19 pandemic is mass panic.

Edited by nb Innisfree

6 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Covid 19 pandemic is mass panic.

So is mass death. Your point?