Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
doratheexplorer

This is my lockdown. Tell me yours.

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Which would be fine if they only infected themselves, but that's not how Covid-19 works, they'll then help spread it to everyone else... 😞

Keep away and minimise your own risk is all you can do. It's every man for himself. The authorities have no interest in interfering with the right to risk others lives. The "engage, explain, encourage" policy set the scene for flouting the rules without consequences and the subsequent vagueness of guidance and the message that each individual can interpret them to suit themselves means there is no national response. You're on your own.

10 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Keep away and minimise your own risk is all you can do. It's every man for himself. The authorities have no interest in interfering with the right to risk others lives. The "engage, explain, encourage" policy set the scene for flouting the rules without consequences and the subsequent vagueness of guidance and the message that each individual can interpret them to suit themselves means there is no national response. You're on your own.

that's a bit like saying that we should ignore and keep away from folk who light fires in the Australian forests.

it seems you are relatively clueless in these matters.

quite apart from your personal risk of getting infected through no fault of your own, it is everybody's business if the lock-down cannot be eased because the R number remains too high  ........................... businesses going bust, employees on the breadline, mental health deteriorating, domestic abuse at unprecedented levels, NHS staff having to continue to put their lives on the line like front-line infantry in WW1. 

7 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

that's a bit like saying that we should ignore and keep away from folk who light fires in the Australian forests.

quite apart from your personal risk of getting infected through no fault of your own, it is everybody's business if the lock-down cannot be eased because the R number remains too high  ........................... businesses going bust, employees on the breadline, mental health deteriorating, domestic abuse at unprecedented levels, NHS staff having to continue to put their lives on the line like front-line infantry in WW1. 

I'm not clueless, I'm powerless. All that you say about the risk to the wider community is, I am sure quite correct but there is nothing I can do about it and the authorities who can do something about it WON'T do anything about it. We have been abandoned to the results of others inconsiderate, reckless folly and all we can do is keep our heads down and hope. If I had my way breaches of covid precautions would result in immediate incarceration in a quarantine facility but in actuality it results AT MOST in a copper saying " please don't do that". No one has been fined except as the penalty for saying "no" to police.

12 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

How do you get that across to idiots who just continue to do as they please?

In my opinion the people floating the rules should be taken to the hospitals to see first hand just what the NHS is up against. Perhaps they would then reconsider their actions. But then again it probably wont make any difference to some :(

On a brighter note we had a lovely walk around the lake at Lakeside, Doncaster earlier.

20200530-114435.jpg

20200530-114932.jpg

20200530-113106.jpg

9 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Day 66

Naughty-Cal's BSS certificate has been issued. That's now sorted for another four years.

Liam is thankfully furloughed again as of yesterday. He wasn't happy with the arrangements at work so in a lot of ways this is for the best.

He will be working on Naughty-Cal next week and with a bit of luck with third parties getting parts back too us it might be ready to put back in the water by Friday.

This means we have a spare weekend this weekend. Not sure what to do with it now.

Put NC back in the water and have two day trips because your not allowed to sleep aboard.  😣

Edited by cuthound
To remove a duplicate post.

36 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Put NC back in the water and have two day trips because your not allowed to sleep aboard.  😣

Not ready yet! 

Day 67

We had a lovely walk at Spurn Point yesterday and then called in at Hull Marina on the way back for a quick coffee break.

The weather was lovely and Hull looked great in the sunshine. The only thing missing was the hustle and bustle of the waterside bars along the quayside. 

Can't wait to get back down there by boat.

101442074-3209352935783992-6458184998343

101297881-3209353262450626-1201164441291

101271567-3209353415783944-5584959022546

101541142-3209353535783932-1543742204030

Day 68

Liam has gone off to the boat to make the most of this lovely weather and get the polishing done. He is hoping to have it all polished today so it could be quite a long day for him!

On 26/03/2020 at 16:26, doratheexplorer said:

For personal reasons I'm staying in someone else's bricks&mortar house and have winterised (springised?) my boat.  My days are mainly spent working at a table by an upstairs window looking out along the back gardens of a terraced street.  There's a lovely cherry tree in blossom which is nice, but I do feel a bit like a crap version of Anne Frank.  Anyway, I digress... 3 doors down, there's an elderly but not decrepit couple.  Every day, their daughter and grand-daughter come over and they all just hang out in the garden.  They are the sort which folks round here call 'yampy' so I don't have the nerve to say anything to them.  Also, I suspect that millions of other's are doing similar things and they're justifying it to themselves somehow.  Or they're just ignorant?  Either way, it's this low-level rule breaking which will cost people their lives.

That's my life.  I eat, I sleep, I work, I intermittantly post on web forums.  Once a day a go for a walk round the park and repeatedly facepalm at the stupid stupid things people are doing.  Round here they are still elbow bumping, as if that's exempt from the 2 metre rule!

Sometimes I break the monotony by staring despondently at the full-up home delivery slots on various websites.

But enough moaning eh?  The positive is that I've been spending a lot more time cooking than I usually do.  Last night was baked and stuffed butternut squash.  The night before was braised lamb.  Tonight is pasta bolognese.

Keep well peeps!

The cherry tree in the background. It looked way better 2 days ago. But it’s interesting to watch it change. 

4C394D80-E27D-4058-AA3F-A4378D73169B.jpeg

Since I started this thread, I thought it about time I updated it.  I'm still sat in the same room, working.  Still looking at the same view out of the window. 

I've been doing a lot of walking and cycling and have been keeping my daily steps over 10,000.

I've been watching the government and CRT guidelines closely, so this Friday I will be moving back onto my boat permanently and hope to set off on Saturday.  I'm a little worried that a second spike will bring a reintroduced full lockdown, but I'll sail under that bridge when I come to it.

I note that the weather looks to be turning cold later this week.  That will be my fault then, jinxing it.  But I am still hugely looking forward to setting off.  I'm got a route roughly in mind, which will minimize locks and hopefully take me to fairly unpopulated places.

Capture.JPG

don't your neighbours get pissed off when you take photos of their back gardens and through their windows, and then publish same on a public forum?

the thought police and PC brigade will come a'knockin' on your door if you're not careful !   :rolleyes:

your graphic reminds me of something .............................  oh, yes !  ........................... the long-awaited daily Covid-19 tests (should be running at 250,000 by now).    :(

7 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

don't your neighbours get pissed off when you take photos of their back gardens and through their windows, and then publish same on a public forum?

the thought police and PC brigade will come a'knockin' on your door if you're not careful !   :rolleyes:

Through their windows?  It's through my window, not theirs?  I would think a photo of a tree, a hedge and a couple of sheds is sufficiently anonymous.  It's not like I've given an address.  It doesn't really show any more than the 3D birds-eye view on google maps. 

your graphic reminds me of something .............................  oh, yes !  ........................... the long-awaited daily Covid-19 tests (should be running at 250,000 by now).    :(

Blimey!  You're right.  I need to get my r-number back up.  In my defence, my steps have dropped off in the last few days because I've replaced walking with boat prepping.

Turns out Liam is not having a great day. Some bees have moved into the narrowboat chocked up next door and they are getting a little bit angry when Liam puts the ladders near to their new homes entrance in a sink outlet :unsure:

Pest control are coming out to move them on tomorrow but it does mean that polishing that section of hull is out of the question until they are evicted.

Looks like being mechanical work on the drive tomorrow while pest control do their bit!

On 30/05/2020 at 13:50, Naughty Cal said:

On a brighter note we had a lovely walk around the lake at Lakeside, Doncaster earlier.

In the same sentence?

Well, there is a first time for everything.

And I'm so old I can remember when all that was an airfield and you could see coal mines away in the distance!

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Through their windows?  It's through my window, not theirs?  I would think a photo of a tree, a hedge and a couple of sheds is sufficiently anonymous.  It's not like I've given an address.  It doesn't really show any more than the 3D birds-eye view on google maps

well I can see clearly through the window at the extreme left of your first photo, for example.  if you had a better camera I would be able to read the book titles on the shelves.  you're lucky it's not my house!     :unsure:

37 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

In the same sentence?

Well, there is a first time for everything.

And I'm so old I can remember when all that was an airfield and you could see coal mines away in the distance!

It was a really nice walk around the lake. I have been several times for work to the developers offices and we have worked on several of the housing schemes there but have never had the time to have a walk around. They are doing a really good job of redeveloping the area and when it is finished it will be a nice development.

It was a shame the lake was suffering a blue green algae bloom otherwise Syd could have gone for a swim off the beach.

37 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

well I can see clearly through the window at the extreme left of your first photo, for example.  if you had a better camera I would be able to read the book titles on the shelves.  you're lucky it's not my house!     :unsure:

Why?  Have you got 'naughty' books on your shelves?

Day 69

Liam has packed the car boot full of tools and headed off to the boat again. Hopefully the pest control will come early enough and remove the bees and then he can finish the polishing. He has taken the tools to start work on the stern drive so he has something else to do. Not got all of the parts delivered yet though. Fingers crossed in the next couple of days they will be ready.

Also got around to licencing the boat, that has gone up a fair amount from what I remember it being. Just short of £400 for the year with prompt payment discount.

And we managed to sort out a mooring at Burton Waters for 12 months as well. Unfortunately E37, our mooring since 2008 has been taken so we are now on mooring E33 instead which is still an alright mooring and if anything has slightly more room in front of the boat to swing in past the restaurant. It does have a silly post in the middle of it though!

20170514-160810.jpg

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Why?  Have you got 'naughty' books on your shelves?

if that was the case you'd be lucky that it was my house   :P

It turns out that the bees have not been evicted from the narrowboat today so Naughty-Cal is being moved across the yard instead.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

It turns out that the bees have not been evicted from the narrowboat today so Naughty-Cal is being moved across the yard instead.

A swarm can only be collected in the evening. During the day the bees are on the wing and will return later.

1 hour ago, Sir Nibble said:

A swarm can only be collected in the evening. During the day the bees are on the wing and will return later.

Oh no. They are not going at all. Somehow the message got relayed it was wasps and pest control were called!

Obviously they wouldn't move the bees.

So they are moving the boat instead. It's a bit irrelevant now anyway. Looks like some bits are not going to arrive in time for the weekend anyway now and the weather isn't looking great for polishing or antifoul painting other than Friday :(

My lockdown is going to take a turn for the better next Monday.  Given that the Welsh government has said that water sports can be undertaken if you can get to a location locally (aprox 5 miles radius) Snowdonia National Park has said we are allowed to sail on Llyn Tegid (Bala Lake) from this Thursday. I plan to go next Monday.  It is going to be so good to get on on the water and I am very lucky to have the lake within my local area.  I have been looking longingly at it every time we have gone into Y Bala for shopping. I shall now be able to test the new sails for the first time.

Yeeha!!!

Edited by churchward
  • Greenie 3

52 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Oh no. They are not going at all. Somehow the message got relayed it was wasps and pest control were called!

Obviously they wouldn't move the bees.

So they are moving the boat instead. It's a bit irrelevant now anyway. Looks like some bits are not going to arrive in time for the weekend anyway now and the weather isn't looking great for polishing or antifoul painting other than Friday :(

Different kettle of fish entirely. Most local authorities call a beekeeper to take bees away and hive them. Quite often the same beekeeper will be called to wasps to put on his suit and empty a tin of raid into the nest. 

On 30/05/2020 at 13:08, IanD said:

Which would be fine if they only infected themselves, but that's not how Covid-19 works, they'll then help spread it to everyone else... 😞

Is that not the plan?

Youngies get the virus while oldies stay in isolation, for a few years, 'till natural causes tkes over?

Day 71

Liam is making the most of the expected dry day today and is finishing of the polishing and antifouling Naughty-Cal. They have moved the boat to the opposite side of the yard for him so no trouble with bees this time :D

He had a nightmare day with mechanical parts yesterday which resulted in him driving to Sheffield and back three times. He was not a happy chappy but it is mostly sorted out now. We are just waiting on the pair of shafts coming back now and then we can get the drive built back up. Looks like this might slip into next week now though so hopes of getting it in the water for this weekend are looking slim. No great issue though, an extra week ashore after all this time won't make any difference. :rolleyes:

We will probably nip across on Saturday and start loading some gear back onto the boat as it is currently a bare boat.