Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
doratheexplorer

This is my lockdown. Tell me yours.

Featured Posts

For personal reasons I'm staying in someone else's bricks&mortar house and have winterised (springised?) my boat.  My days are mainly spent working at a table by an upstairs window looking out along the back gardens of a terraced street.  There's a lovely cherry tree in blossom which is nice, but I do feel a bit like a crap version of Anne Frank.  Anyway, I digress... 3 doors down, there's an elderly but not decrepit couple.  Every day, their daughter and grand-daughter come over and they all just hang out in the garden.  They are the sort which folks round here call 'yampy' so I don't have the nerve to say anything to them.  Also, I suspect that millions of other's are doing similar things and they're justifying it to themselves somehow.  Or they're just ignorant?  Either way, it's this low-level rule breaking which will cost people their lives.

That's my life.  I eat, I sleep, I work, I intermittantly post on web forums.  Once a day a go for a walk round the park and repeatedly facepalm at the stupid stupid things people are doing.  Round here they are still elbow bumping, as if that's exempt from the 2 metre rule!

Sometimes I break the monotony by staring despondently at the full-up home delivery slots on various websites.

But enough moaning eh?  The positive is that I've been spending a lot more time cooking than I usually do.  Last night was baked and stuffed butternut squash.  The night before was braised lamb.  Tonight is pasta bolognese.

Keep well peeps!

The cherry tree in the background. It looked way better 2 days ago. But it’s interesting to watch it change. 

4C394D80-E27D-4058-AA3F-A4378D73169B.jpeg

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 2

I too am in a house. Its a detached 17c stone cottage with a fair old sized garden and no other house except across the road. I am here to sell the damn thing but thats gone out of the window for now. I take the dog into the open fields and walk by the river in the valley here. A few others around but never any need to go near anybody. I have been going to the shops for food as there has been no alternative, however I went on line this evening and Tesco has gone from no click and collect or delivery slots till may to a large choice of click and collect from tomorrow onwards!! So keep checking, things have changed at last. Still no deliveries but thats no big deal for me. Weather been factastic so doing weird house stuff like garden and plants

Thus far. 

I started working from home in Tuesday. Took a day or so to set up properly but now online fully.

PC set up on dining table as we don't really have anywhere else to put it. Right now the dining table is home, work and the pub.

I have been teaching Sydney how to do my job. The boss need never know.

20200324-163116.jpg

On the plus side we have miles and miles, hectares and hectares of beautiful and empty woods and fields on our doorstep, quite literally,  so we can get out and enjoy some fresh air. 

20200326-180647.jpg

20200326-181038.jpg

Liam is furloughed as of this evening which is great news. So if we make it through the next 7 days we should be, fingers  crossed, a virus free house with just the weekly veg run to contend with. 

• Greenie 3

Been hard at work so far. Drive, patio and paths all cleaned. Yeti mothballed.  Removed a large shrub today using my trusty chain hoist, all chopped up and in the bin now. Workshop tidied, Still have double garage to sort but saving that for rainy day.

Picture is of the East garden there is garden on the other 3 sides that C wants me to help with :(

2020-02-19 16.21.41.jpg

• Greenie 1

Computer set up at home was quite quick - but laptop plus extra screen is easier than a desktop.

Our IT people have been brilliant helping with minor issues and in some cases more serious problems that some colleagues have experienced.

We have good communications  . In some ways communications with customers who are also working from home have been improved as there have been fewer distractions compared to the office . Must have saved the environment quite  a bit in exhaust fumes  as people find a video conference can be a perfectly good way to hold a meeting.

Some colleagues are very quiet and have not been working up to speed for a week or so. 

New work opportunities  seem at the moment to be on the increase .  We have today been advised of  scheme involving a substantial expansion of an existing project. Some teams within our office may be affected and we may be able to supply them with work.

Late afternoon sun in my ''office'' window is a bit of an issue but other than that I feel I am adapting to  working from home. 

Some much overdue gardening at the weekend perhaps - or there is a little light DIY to do.

25 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Been hard at work so far. Drive, patio and paths all cleaned. Yeti mothballed.  Removed a large shrub today using my trusty chain hoist, all chopped up and in the bin now. Workshop tidied, Still have double garage to sort but saving that for rainy day.

Picture is of the East garden there is garden on the other 3 sides that C wants me to help with :(

2020-02-19 16.21.41.jpg

You mothballed a Yeti?  Is that a good idea?

Before all this went mental we came back to the boat to prepare it to go up onto the slipway (tomorrow) for me to black it .  Without our own car, and with no wish to even think about using public transport we are going to have to remain where we are for the forseeable future. It seems that 'slipping' the boat can still go ahead as it can be done whilst complying with the separation requirements, so for the next week I will be blacking it and doing other bits of painting to it.

Tomorrow is a bit of a concern though since, once we've got the boat onto the slip I've got to go and get the week's shopping as we are pretty much out of most stuff. I'm hoping things have improved since the last time I went out (last weekend) when the shop took 3 hours (by bike) and visits to a number of pretty much empty supermarkets.

Food delivery services from supermarkets seem booked up at the moment .

However it seems possible to more easily buy booze for home delivery .

Independent butcher delivering meat tomorrow.

I've discovered the Amazon Prime Now delivery service for groceries.  The choice is a bit limited but they bring goodies in a few hours.

17 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Before all this went mental we came back to the boat to prepare it to go up onto the slipway (tomorrow) for me to black it .  Without our own car, and with no wish to even think about using public transport we are going to have to remain where we are for the forseeable future. It seems that 'slipping' the boat can still go ahead as it can be done whilst complying with the separation requirements, so for the next week I will be blacking it and doing other bits of painting to it.

Tomorrow is a bit of a concern though since, once we've got the boat onto the slip I've got to go and get the week's shopping as we are pretty much out of most stuff. I'm hoping things have improved since the last time I went out (last weekend) when the shop took 3 hours (by bike) and visits to a number of pretty much empty supermarkets.

No problem shopping now, loo paper is put out in small quantities, spirits shelves full to bursting. Queuing outside took ten minutes. Disabled priority. Click and collect is a good option.

Edited by LadyG

26 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

You mothballed a Yeti?  Is that a good idea?

Yes its quite placid ;)

Only use it for long trips and towing the van and heavy stuff and there wont be much of that for a while.

C's Rav 4 will take the strain.

27 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Where are you? Maybe a local forumite can deliver for you? 

Just now, MartynG said:

In a year from now I wonder what the world will look like?

The book of Eli

• Greenie 1

Working from home is quite easy for us as I spent half of last year migrating our company to cloud managed laptops with everything stored in Microsoft Office 365. Our company use of Microsoft Teams has rocketed with lots of video conferencing happening.  We had a team meeting today which had 27 of us video calling, I think this could change the future working practices and reduce traveling massively as we don't need to physically meet up.

It is a bit tighter where i live, you can go out from 05.00-10.00 and again at 16.00-20.00 Big fines applied if you dont have permission to be out, nice and quiet though, shops well stocked, no beer shortage.

• Happy 1

Well I’m stuck in the house, as a “highly vulnerable “ person, and my wife, as my house-sharing partner is strongly advised not to go near shops or other shared access places.

At least we have a good-sized garden to give Chris plenty to do, assisted by me in an advisory capacity.

still waiting to be contacted by Sainsbury’s or the NHS about food deliveries due to my health status, having registered on the gov website; also had my letter today from the NHS confirming my status.  Luckily our freezer is fairly well stocked and a neighbour has kindly offered to do some shopping for us.

So I’ve been confined to barracks for about a week now and am still moderately sane.  Not sure what it will be like in a couple of months time.  Still plenty of books to read. One advantage of having a sieve for a memory is that I can re-read a book I read a few months ago and not remember how it goes.

Shame about not being able to go to the boat.

i guess we will survive.

Stay safe out there...

10 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

It is a bit tighter where i live, you can go out from 05.00-10.00 and again at 16.00-20.00 Big fines applied if you dont have permission to be out, nice and quiet though, shops well stocked, no beer shortage.

This seems counter productive.  More people will go out at the same time, creating bigger crowds.

23 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The commute to work was terrible this morning :rolleyes:

Nearly tripped over your dressing gown?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, MartynG said:

In a year from now I wonder what the world will look like?

Still round

LAmcvf5bSuErwHQ8YTddDP-1200-80.jpg

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 2

34 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Nearly tripped over your dressing gown?

:D

We are trying (not sure how long it will last) to keep to some sort of morning routine as we normally would if we were going to work. 

7 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We are trying (not sure how long it will last) to keep to some sort of morning routine as we normally would if we were going to work. 

Today was probably it ...

15 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

:D

So do you get up later to start work at the normal time, start work earlier, or just lounge about during the time you would have been commuting?