Beta marine - continuous beeping?

OllyO

Featured Posts

I’ve just started our engine after a rewire of the engine room and some work done to cooling system and found that whilst the engine starts and runs fine the beeping present on the first ignition position doesn’t turn off after the engine has started.

Oil pressure looks ok, temp ok, batt charging.

Any thoughts?

On my  2204 / 50 the oil presssure sender is on the back of the engine and the signal lead is easy to dislodge. Again IRRC the oil pressure switch (as opposd to the meter sender - you have the 'posh' panel) is separate - thus it's possible to get a reading on the gauge  but a beep fron the low pressure switch / or lack of connection to it.

8 minutes ago, OllyO said:

Still can’t get to the bottom of this. 

the engine is the 5cyl kubota.  If anyone has some further thoughts or can point me in the direction of the oil pressure sender I’d be much appreciated.

If you can post what engine (model) it is someone may have a manual.

It’s the 5cyl kubota 

K14134 

BF2803

ive now found that our electrician had somehow managed to connect B1 (+) of the Dom alternator to a batt neg.  this has now been rectified but we’re now getting a cracking/buzzing rather than a continuous beep?

33 minutes ago, OllyO said:

It’s the 5cyl kubota 

K14134 

BF2803

ive now found that our electrician had somehow managed to connect B1 (+) of the Dom alternator to a batt neg.  this has now been rectified but we’re now getting a cracking/buzzing rather than a continuous beep?

Is it çharging ?

35 minutes ago, OllyO said:

It’s the 5cyl kubota 

K14134 

BF2803

The BF2803 is the base industrial Kubota engine, this was marinized by Beta Marine and is the "Beta 62" which seems to be obsolete.

The nearest one now is the 4-cylinder Beta 60

https://www.betamarinenc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Engine_Installation_Guide.pdf

The 62 is quite a big engine for the inland waterways, (what boat do you have ?)

Maybe you can try and see if anyone has the wiring diagram (the Kubota manual and wiring diagram will not be relevant) for a Beta 62 (maybe try on the Dutch Barge forum , or one of the offshore forums where bigger engines are more common.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, OllyO said:

It’s the 5cyl kubota 

K14134 

BF2803

That connection would cause the alternator to run at full output so maybe a diode or two have failed. I suspect it may be a main negative diode. SirN will know more I hope.

In theory the alternator should be able to put up with that but in practice, especially at low speeds, I have my doubts.

19 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

That connection would cause the alternator to run at full output so maybe a diode or two have failed. I suspect it may be a main negative diode. SirN will know more I hope.

In theory the alternator should be able to put up with that but in practice, especially at low speeds, I have my doubts.

Yes that sounds very plausible.  Are the diodes within the alternator?  I may just whip it off and take it to be tested

18 minutes ago, OllyO said:

Yes that sounds very plausible.  Are the diodes within the alternator?  I may just whip it off and take it to be tested

Yes, inside the alternator and any decent alternator and starter place should be able to replace them if needed..

Remember its only a theory, I had hoped SirN would chip in to confirm or say its rubbish.

13 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yes, inside the alternator and any decent alternator and starter place should be able to replace them if needed..

Remember its only a theory, I had hoped SirN would chip in to confirm or say its rubbish.

He may not have spotted it.

@Sir Nibble might get his attention.

Well if it's a standard nine diode alternator then the stator voltage will have been unable to rise above the diode volt drop so the D+ will have been buggerall volts hence the beeping. Output current would have been very low. Suggest comparing voltage at B+ and D+ as usual.

Edited by Sir Nibble
To add three diodes