Lockdown! Part 2

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You are still allowed to buy houses now. 

I'll give you £50k for it right now, sight unseen if it gets you out of. hole. Stitching meself right up, paying that much for it, but y'know, mates an all that :)

I'll offer £51K providing you include carpets and curtains.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

My missus reckons shes seen a list saying its not allowed????????

More likely she's seen a list of shops allowed to open, and EAs are not on it. Not sure an EA counts as a shop anyway.

On the bright side, you ARE allowed to sell a house without using a high street EA. Look at Purple Bricks etc for DIY flogging of houses. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well there seems to be a it more to it than that. 

At the moment the plan is to lift the foot off the brake briefly in a month or two once the infection rate "appears" to be falling, then when it starts racing up again then put the brakes on hard for another couple of months. Keep doing this until the vaccine testing has finished and found safe/effective. OR, some other strategy for controlling it gets developed e.g. copy what they have done in S Korea.

Lots of calm and dispassionate analysis by this bloke here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIp8DxCdoBo&feature=youtu.be

it's mostly all here, in the Pandemic Response Plan from 2014:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/344695/PI_Response_Plan_13_Aug.pdf

"Recovery

The focus in this phase would be:

normalisation of services, perhaps to a new definition of what constitutes normal service

restoration of business as usual services, including an element of catching-up with activity that may have been scaled-down as part of the pandemic

response eg reschedule routine operations

post-incident review of response, and sharing information on what went well, what could be improved, and lessons learnt

taking steps to address staff exhaustion

planning and preparation for resurgence of influenza, including activities carried out in the detection phase"

39 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think the govt were shown a forecast of 200,000 UK deaths plus the overwhelming of NHS within weeks, this was seen to be unacceptable, and shook the government in to action.

Not sure why facemasks are not yet freely [as in free] available.

They haven't even got enough to the front line yet, so no chance of them becoming "freely" available to you and me.

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

They were coming on tuesday to do the biz but cancelled so I assume they are closing but havnt checked. My missus reckons shes seen a list saying its not allowed????????

Estate Agency offices opening is definitely not allowed!!

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

They haven't even got enough to the front line yet, so no chance of them becoming "freely" available to you and me

And yet in places like South Korea, there is a massive public effort to make them. If you can sew, you make your own mask. If you know someone who can't, you make some for them too.  But for this to happen, the population needs to understand why. In SK they see the evidence and grasp that everyone wearing masks depresses the R value.

Here, the gummint don't really get it so make no effort to convince the population that masks in public are a simple and cheap way to make a real reduction to the spreading of this virus. The mask isn't for protecting YOU, it is for protecting everyone else from any infection YOU might be spreading. The Engerlish just do not get this. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Add a bit more

24 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And yet in places like South Korea, there is a massive public effort to make them. If you can sew, you make your own mask. If you know someone who can't, you make some for them too. 

I have seen a few videos on YouTube which show how to make a mask.... havent watched any yet, just saw they exist, whilst I was looking for examples of how to make hand sanitiser.

As a result of some help here, I got some IPA, (99.9% Alcohol), and found that you need to mix it with Aloe Vera or Glycerine. I had neither, and both were hard to find in stock, so I made some with some hair shampoo, and with an ageing 100ml bottle of sanitiser - chose to go for the 70% alcohol mixture, rather than 60%.

Glycerine arrived today, so I've made a 0.8 litre mix of sanitiser, and will add a few drops of citronella essential oil when I get it from the boat, (during a dog walk).

Anyway... at the end of this exercise, we will almost certainly have more sanitiser than we will need, so am trying to find a way to distribute it to some of our neighbours, if they need/want some. 

• Greenie 2

20 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I got some IPA, (99.9% Alcohol), and found that you need to mix it with Aloe Vera or Glycerine.

I just mixed it with some ‘skin moisturiser’ that the boss said she didn’t use. Seems to work fine although it’s still very runny. I guess that’s what the glycerine is for. 

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

I'll offer £51K providing you include carpets and curtains.

If you up that to £80K you can have one of mine. I have to warn you though, it's dangerous to approach the tenant and although I'll include the carpets and curtains the curtains in the main bedroom have some nasty stains on them, origin unknown. 

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

I think the govt were shown a forecast of 200,000 UK deaths plus the overwhelming of NHS within weeks, this was seen to be unacceptable, and shook the government in to action.

Not sure why facemasks are not yet freely [as in free] available.

Because they do not do much to reduce the rate of transmission? 

18 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Because they do not do much to reduce the rate of transmission? 

Really?

Is this what you told Boris?

He dare not advise their use 'cos he did not order any even though he watched the news broadcasts from Wuhan two months ago.

Medics making masks from plastic bottles, personal care nurses told they don't need full PPE. I think we had same dimwits supplying the army with inapropriate kit in Afghanistan a few years ago.

Edited by LadyG

5 hours ago, WotEver said:

I just mixed it with some ‘skin moisturiser’ that the boss said she didn’t use. Seems to work fine although it’s still very runny. I guess that’s what the glycerine is for. 

Still quite runny, even with the glycerin. We are filling a couple of 60ml spray bottles we have cleaned of the original contents.

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

The householder can do it online, try Purple Bricks

Even if a homeowner produces their own photos, measurements and description, you still need to do viewings, (unless you sell cheap to MtB :)).

3 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Even if a homeowner produces their own iphotos, measurements and description, you still need to do viewings, (unless you sell cheap to MtB :)).

And mortgage lenders seem to be concentrating their resources on requests for payment holidays, rather than new loans, and are not carrying out valuations, so transactions are likely to be drawn out.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/mar/26/halifax-withdraws-majority-of-mortgages-coronavirus

Edited by David Mack

14 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:
14 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Come year end, big profit for CRT, big bonuses for their executives.

Since CRT is a charity, it cannot make a profit. 

It might have a surplus on its account, though.

The executives can still get big bonuses though. ?

13 hours ago, LadyG said:

I think the govt were shown a forecast of 200,000 UK deaths plus the overwhelming of NHS within weeks,

A similar death toll to nuking a city or two. ?

14 hours ago, Halsey said:

Just what we need a "Part 2" topic to keep us all in good spirits - IMHO anything with a 2 etc after it is never as good as the original.

Sequels are rarely as good. This one only has one exclamation mark in the title, not three.

Jen

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And yet in places like South Korea, there is a massive public effort to make them. If you can sew, you make your own mask. If you know someone who can't, you make some for them too.  But for this to happen, the population needs to understand why. In SK they see the evidence and grasp that everyone wearing masks depresses the R value.

Here, the gummint don't really get it so make no effort to convince the population that masks in public are a simple and cheap way to make a real reduction to the spreading of this virus. The mask isn't for protecting YOU, it is for protecting everyone else from any infection YOU might be spreading. The Engerlish just do not get this. 

Agreed, as I have been led to understand, just any old face mask won't protect the wearer - if you breathe in the virus may not reach you (although if it's a coarse weave fabric it may) but it will sit on the mask for several hours waiting for you to touch the mask , for example, when you take it off, and transfer by other means

If you are exhaling the virus a mask will be more effective at stopping other people getting it if you are carrying it

Edited by magpie patrick

2 hours ago, Ange said:

Hastings seafront yesterday when hubby took his driving break. Peeps seem to be doing the right thing

IMG-20200326-WA0002.jpg

I lost my kite on Hastings beach. I cried. 

I used to like the fishermen’s museum though - is it still there?

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

Really?

Is this what you told Boris?

He dare not advise their use 'cos he did not order any even though he watched the news broadcasts from Wuhan two months ago.

Medics making masks from plastic bottles, personal care nurses told they don't need full PPE. I think we had same dimwits supplying the army with inapropriate kit in Afghanistan a few years ago.

I was asking a question (and still am), not making a statement as the public statements from people who appear to have some expertise do vary. Even more so if you had been talking about gloves rather than masks.

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

One is all you need

Official advice is not to move house unless really essential. Hence the dramatic fall in the completion of agreed sales. Unclear how one would organise the house move and maintain social distancing etc. I guess most folk would want the destination house fully de-virused first.