Waterways World free online

Richard Fairhurst

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

The current issue of Waterways World can be read for free online, in recognition of the fact that most people can't get to newsagents/chandleries right now:

https://reader.waterwaysworld.com

Lots of good stuff in there (not just my map of the Middle Level ;) ).

But useful all the same ...........

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

The current issue of Waterways World can be read for free online, in recognition of the fact that most people can't get to newsagents/chandleries right now:

https://reader.waterwaysworld.com

Lots of good stuff in there (not just my map of the Middle Level ;) ).

A good clear map, though a pedant like me would note one small error, namely the relief channel is connected to the Great Ouse not the tidal Ouse.....

2 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

The Imrays guide to Great Ouse has a turn of more than 180 degrees approaching St Ives....

I can think of a few of those, the best known is probably coming uphill from Red Bull services and doing the 270° right turn onto the Macclesfield.  This does work much better than a 90° left as you pass under the aqueduct.

• Greenie 1

Does waterways world ever print anything new? or is it the same old dressed up stuff from the past? How many times can for instance a boat review go into how a boat " swims " when they are all made from standard makers shells etc etc. Not looked at one for years.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Does waterways world ever print anything new? or is it the same old dressed up stuff from the past? How many times can for instance a boat review go into how a boat " swims " when they are all made from standard makers shells etc etc. Not looked at one for years.

Didn't they run a series on those newfangled dilithium crystals over the last few issues?

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Didn't they run a series on those newfangled dilithium crystals over the last few issues?

Dunno, thats why I was asking if anything has changed?? Thirty odd years ago its all there was and indeed where I found the advert for my first boat!! but over the years it seemed to be just repetition. Maybe its changed? I will have a look online whilst its still free ?

17 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It's a reasonable point. I must confess I never read the boat reviews, as I am not thinking of buying a new boat.  Maybe it's a bit like wedding magazines, I can't imagine most people subscribing to those for more than a year or two.   I do enjoy the gadget column though, and getting some of my photos published (eg the one of the slacker at  Ashline Lock in the April edition).

41 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Is that before or after visiting the Blue Bell?

:unsure::cheers::unsure:

(Which I hope will still be open when all this is over)

Me too -- but just a note in case you haven't been there recently. When I was there a few months ago the beer was still great but the new licensees seem to be trying to get in more of the yoof market -- not a bad thing for a business, but I want to sit in a pub and chat (like on previous visits) and not be irritated by (fairly loud) music in the background... ?

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

@Dr Bob should know ...

Dec, Jan and Feb had the di-lithium articles (in Canal Boat) which was defo new and hadnt been covered before.

When we got our lumpy water bote, we used to get PBO and Yachting world and found it took about 2 years before everything was being repeated. Looks like the same is true of the canal boat mags.

When we wrote the articles on the di-lithium, the editor waived the normal '1000 words only' and what was originally planned as one article turned into a trilogy over 3 months. The editor seemed very happy that he had something new to fill his copies with.

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

It'll do until someone publishes a proper red-covered cruising guide to the Middle Level!

Someone has been trying for the past 20 odd years but HCP refuse to bite. They maintain that there is a) insufficient demand and b) there are insufficient retail outlets in the area. Costed the exercise at least twice in that time!

However, it is my understanding that Stanfords have commissioned a new Fens guide and that a well known figure, with considerable boating experience of the area, is hard at work on it ever now ....... . 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Dec, Jan and Feb had the di-lithium articles (in Canal Boat) which was defo new and hadnt been covered before.

When we got our lumpy water bote, we used to get PBO and Yachting world and found it took about 2 years before everything was being repeated. Looks like the same is true of the canal boat mags.

When we wrote the articles on the di-lithium, the editor waived the normal '1000 words only' and what was originally planned as one article turned into a trilogy over 3 months. The editor seemed very happy that he had something new to fill his copies with.

Must have paid you well, indeed enough to buy yourself a new boat. ???