Diesel for my Eberspatcher

-Cookie-

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

This is a very interesting thread.

We had a webasto blown air heater on our lumpy water bote and used it like Alan says above.

On our canal bote though we have been running our ebersparky like Cuthound does after hearing stories of the thing coking up if run on half power. We therefore tend to just rely on the stove and only use the ebersparky for heating the back of the boat up on cold mornings. It is interesting though that two of the boats not too far from us in the marina run their ebersparkys all the time on the thermostat and you can hear them coming on and off during the day/evening. Surely that is expensive as they use over half a litre of diesel per hour....as well as potentially causing maintenance issues? Both the boats ebersparkys are still working as we approach the end of the winter so it doesnt sound like they are dying. I wonder  just how bad 'continuous' running (ie cycling up and down) is?

Plenty of evidence of diesel heaters coking up before the introduction of ULS diesel. Indeed Eberspacher said as much.

Since the adoption of dyed road ULS diesel instead of gas oil the problem seems less common.

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

Plenty of evidence of diesel heaters coking up before the introduction of ULS diesel. Indeed Eberspacher said as much.

Since the adoption of dyed road ULS diesel instead of gas oil the problem seems less common.

I am sure there are examples of the fault but, as far as I was aware, it was anything but 'common', I never came across a case of it before discussions on this forum.

Maybe some people got the 'Friday afternon, or Monday morning' production

In real life situation in Marinas and talking to other boaters the subject never arose.

I think that both myself & @Dr Bob are talking about the times well before ULS Gas Oil.

We were using an Eberspacher on our boats in the early 80's, and in the NB's from the 90's. In fact we had a (water) Webasto installed in a NB in 1999 and we treated it exactly the same, no problems.