Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Jennifer McM

Don't Use Microwave To Conserve WiFi

Featured Posts

The postmen swimmers in Venice don't think its crystal clear.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

Indeed not but my original point was not about the clarity or otherwise of venitian canals but about being wary of misleading "information" bandied about the internet, of which this is just one example. Venitian canals may well be crystal clear for all I know but the only evidence we have to back up that theory is falsified.

Except the information which started this thread is not false or misleading; in an admittedly limited sample of two houses (here and next door) we both see this problem, and the reason for it in the original article is correct...

3 hours ago, churchward said:

I knew someone who had 8 cats.

A woman?

10 hours ago, WotEver said:

I ran a load of Cat5 too.

10base2 (Google it) - wired the whole house before it was taken over by twisted pair - we don't use either now - WiFi all the way.

And flood wired the house for telephone - don't use that either - DECT rules (except for the emergency phone under the stairs which is hard wired and powered by BT from the exchange)

2 hours ago, 1st ade said:

10base2 (Google it)

Don’t need to Google it. I used to wire it. Horribly unreliable POS. One hung cpu could pull the whole network down. 

Last install I did at our current place of work was Cat6 GigE and that still rules for throwing large amounts of data around. 

10 hours ago, IanD said:

Except the information which started this thread is not false or misleading; in an admittedly limited sample of two houses (here and next door) we both see this problem, and the reason for it in the original article is correct...

It is correct and I explained why it is correct which the originator of that piece of waffle didn't. hat is just pure and unadulterated senstionalism and anyone else who just says that that article is correct without proper explanation is just being sensationalist themselves. But then I suppose there are people who like to spread and agree with articles that do not explain things properly even on this forum. Oh well I'm out of here.  

37 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Don’t need to Google it. I used to wire it. Horribly unreliable POS. One hung cpu could pull the whole network down. 

Last install I did at our current place of work was Cat6 GigE and that still rules for throwing large amounts of data around. 

Or one pain in the arse user disconnecting a t-piece to move their PC.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Or one pain in the arse user disconnecting a t-piece to move their PC.

or removing the termination resistor from the end...

4 hours ago, 1st ade said:

10base2 (Google it) - wired the whole house before it was taken over by twisted pair - we don't use either now - WiFi all the way.

And flood wired the house for telephone - don't use that either - DECT rules (except for the emergency phone under the stairs which is hard wired and powered by BT from the exchange)

mixture of cat5e and cat 6 here with a 24 port switch at one end of the house and an 8 port switch at the other (22 ports in use one end and 4 ports at the other).

Servers, router and the link between the 2 switches are all cat6

Anything else is running 5e (and running 1000base t if possible but falling back to 100)

for wifi we use a pair of old netgear routers set up as access points (one each end of the house) but due to the construction of the house you can be 4 feet from the access point and have no signal (same deal for phones, DECT doesn't work if you move rooms and mobiles only work on windowsills)

On 25/03/2020 at 17:29, Machpoint005 said:

If I was a fish I'd have been hiding in the murky water - much safer!

Some fish are quite clever. They wait till sun is less than 10 degrees angle on water before venturing out of weeds etc knowing diffraction means the out of water predators cannot see in.