Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Jennifer McM

Don't Use Microwave To Conserve WiFi

Featured Posts

Well we live and learn...

 

Quote

 

It’s slightly strange tech advice, but Brits are being told not to use the microwave at the same time as their Wi-Fi to improve connection speeds.

 

The message comes from media regulator Ofcom, which is issuing the advice to help Brits cope amid the coronavirus lockdown. At a time when our internet signal is the connection to the outside world, it’s crucial to keep it running as speedily as possible. ‘Did you know that microwave ovens can also reduce wi-fi signals?’ Ofcom writes. ‘So don’t use the microwave when you’re making video calls, watching HD videos or doing something important online.’

 

The warning comes as broadband providers like BT’s Openreach are reporting a 20% surge in usage as millions of people are now working and learning from home.

 

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/25/brits-told-not-use-microwave-conserve-wi-fi-12453961/?ico=pushly-notifcation-small&utm_source=pushly?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I found it hard to believe.

 

Surely the whole point of a microwave oven is to contain the microwaves.

 

But I'm open to a proper explanation.

 

Yes we know about cordless phones and baby alarms - but microwaves??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s just avoiding stuff that has the potential to cause interference, and therefore improve the speed of your Wi-fi.  It is not going to conserve bandwidth, you will download the same stuff just at a lower rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes another extremely badly written piece designed to be sensationalist and without proper explanations. The ONLY reason that microwave ovens should not be used if you are using you broadband is because the radio frequencies produced by a microwave oven can interfere with the wireless radio waves of your wireless connection. If it is a problem, and in the highly unlikely event of it actually causing a problem during the very limited time that a microwave oven is used, then a connection using an ethernet cable rather than a wireless connection to the router will eliminate the problem. Hells bells if we listened to all the nay sayers that have come out the fecking woodwork over the last couple of weeks we might as well go and live in our bunkers, if we had one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pete.i said:

Yes another extremely badly written piece designed to be sensationalist and without proper explanations. The ONLY reason that microwave ovens should not be used if you are using you broadband is because the radio frequencies produced by a microwave oven can interfere with the wireless radio waves of your wireless connection. If it is a problem, and in the highly unlikely event of it actually causing a problem during the very limited time that a microwave oven is used, then a connection using an ethernet cable rather than a wireless connection to the router will eliminate the problem. Hells bells if we listened to all the nay sayers that have come out the fecking woodwork over the last couple of weeks we might as well go and live in our bunkers, if we had one.

A quick google also would suggest they only interfere with the 2.4 Ghz frequency if at all.

 

The 5Ghz frequency should be fine?

 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pete.i said:

Yes another extremely badly written piece designed to be sensationalist and without proper explanations. The ONLY reason that microwave ovens should not be used if you are using you broadband is because the radio frequencies produced by a microwave oven can interfere with the wireless radio waves of your wireless connection. If it is a problem, and in the highly unlikely event of it actually causing a problem during the very limited time that a microwave oven is used, then a connection using an ethernet cable rather than a wireless connection to the router will eliminate the problem. Hells bells if we listened to all the nay sayers that have come out the fecking woodwork over the last couple of weeks we might as well go and live in our bunkers, if we had one.

I'm firmly planted in my bunker (aka boat) 😷

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

A quick google also would suggest they only interfere with the 2.4 Ghz frequency if at all.

 

The 5Ghz frequency should be fine?

 

That is my understanding as well.  The 2.4Ghz frequency is very congested anyway so much better to move to 5Ghz if your kit supports it.

 

Most likely cause of interference will be your neighbours wifi.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

That is my understanding as well.  The 2.4Ghz frequency is very congested anyway so much better to move to 5Ghz if your kit supports it.

 

Most likely cause of interference will be your neighbours wifi.

 

I would agree, although one reason the 5Ghz band is less congested is that the range is less, so a single router may not cover the whole house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take everything with a huge heap of salt, even harmless things like the pictures of Venice's suddenly clean canals that were taken nowhere near Venice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

I take everything with a huge heap of salt, even harmless things like the pictures of Venice's suddenly clean canals that were taken nowhere near Venice.

The venetian canals are clearing, but clear does not mean clean.  Just the daily churn of silt by many taxi boats and the like keep the water normally somewhat opaque.  The canals are tidal so a fresh (ish) set of water comes in each day so without churn the waters could clear.  The fish people may be seeing could have been there all along but one can only see them now it is more clear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rob-M said:

That is my understanding as well.  The 2.4Ghz frequency is very congested anyway so much better to move to 5Ghz if your kit supports it.

 

Most likely cause of interference will be your neighbours wifi.

 

True, but 5GHz is much less good at getting through walls. At the back of my house (through several brick walls from the router) there's no usable 5GHz signal so I have to use 2.4GHz -- and the microwave is in the kitchen at the back of the house, and I do see WiFi data rates drop when it turns on...

 

And before anyone says "Oh my God, that's dangerous, a microwave shouldn't leak power, unplug it!" remember that a microwave has about a kilowatt of 2.4GHz inside it, the leakage specs are specified for safety (5mW/cm2 at 5cm distance) not RF interference, and this is plenty to interfere with a weak WiFi signal while being perfectly safe...

Edited by IanD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as easy to turn your microwave off when you have finished warming your pies!

 

I don't really see how this can be much of a problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, churchward said:

he fish people may be seeing could have been there all along but one can only see them now it is more clear. 

If I was a fish I'd have been hiding in the murky water - much safer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, IanD said:

True, but 5GHz is much less good at getting through walls. At the back of my house (through several brick walls from the router) there's no usable 5GHz signal so I have to use 2.4GHz -- and the microwave is in the kitchen at the back of the house, and I do see WiFi data rates drop when it turns on...

 

And before anyone says "Oh my God, that's dangerous, a microwave shouldn't leak power, unplug it!" remember that a microwave has about a kilowatt of 2.4GHz inside it, the leakage specs are specified for safety (5mW/cm2 at 5cm distance) not RF interference, and this is plenty to interfere with a weak WiFi signal while being perfectly safe...

I use Power Line adapters now for several of my connections in the house as it is a more reliable connection rather than using wifi.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I use Power Line adapters now for several of my connections in the house as it is a more reliable connection rather than using wifi.

 

Same here.

 

Our router couldnt be further away from our TV if we tried. It was sited years ago long before the advent of smart TV's and Sky+ HD.

 

Both the telly and the sky box connection was transformed when we started using them. A wi fi repeater we bought and sited as per the instructions made things only marginally better so thats in a drawer now.

 

The only TV related thing that works via. Wi fi is the Chromecast dongle and I had to extend the leads on that to get it from out behind the telly where it works much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I use Power Line adapters now for several of my connections in the house as it is a more reliable connection rather than using wifi.

 

I use good old cabled Ethernet for the stuff that doesn't move around, but this is less useful for laptops/tablets/smartphones...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, churchward said:

The venetian canals are clearing, but clear does not mean clean.  Just the daily churn of silt by many taxi boats and the like keep the water normally somewhat opaque.  The canals are tidal so a fresh (ish) set of water comes in each day so without churn the waters could clear.  The fish people may be seeing could have been there all along but one can only see them now it is more clear. 

The pictures circulating of the fish and swans in the suddenly clear water were taken in the town of burano which is on an island about 10km from Venice where the clear water depicted is normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, IanD said:

I use good old cabled Ethernet for the stuff that doesn't move around, but this is less useful for laptops/tablets/smartphones...

Funny thing is when out house was built 17 years ago I had the electrician install a Cat5 network, but we don;t use it at all at the moment, everything is wifi.  I have used repeaters and power line connections and  second access points and all the permutations in the past to get wifi everywhere, but now we have a BT home hub, and it is so much better than the run of the mill routers and we get wifi everywhere on 2.4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Funny thing is when out house was built 17 years ago I had the electrician install a Cat5 network...

I ran a load of Cat5 too. Now two generations behind (Cat5e and Cat6)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sir Nibble said:

The pictures circulating of the fish and swans in the suddenly clear water were taken in the town of burano which is on an island about 10km from Venice where the clear water depicted is normal.

I agree they were but it does not mean the canals in Venice can't clear for the reasons I posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I ran a load of Cat5 too. Now two generations behind (Cat5e and Cat6)...

What about CAT7..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

What about CAT7..?

I knew someone who had 8 cats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

What about CAT7..?

Or even Cat8 indeed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, churchward said:

I agree they were but it does not mean the canals in Venice can't clear for the reasons I posted.

Indeed not but my original point was not about the clarity or otherwise of venitian canals but about being wary of misleading "information" bandied about the internet, of which this is just one example. Venitian canals may well be crystal clear for all I know but the only evidence we have to back up that theory is falsified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.