COVID-19 and EA / Anglian Waterways???

Featured Posts

Does anyone have any clue if the Envinronment Agency have released a statement for liveaboards on the Anglian Waterways? There's a fair few boaters on the lower half of the Great Ouse, none of us can seem to find any information about it online, nor get in contact with them on the phone to ask if such a thing has been issued or not.

Would be nice to know what's going on... whether the lock maintenence will be finished on time still and whether Earith sluice is remaining open?

If anyone knows anything at all please do enlighten me haha. Sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum...didn't know where was best to post it.

I've not seen anything. The note yesterday from my marina (Cathedral at Ely) refers to the CRT guidance -- so I am guessing there isn't anything specific from the EA.  (Note: they do have a location on the Weaver as well, which may explain).  On the relevant FB fora most people have worked out what stay at home means.

I have read a FB post from a Thames lockkeeper saying that all the locks on the Thames are on self-service -- if anyone is moving. 

And the Port of London Authority (and a number of other harbour and port authorities) are strongly discouraging leisure use

Just arrived is this from EA on the Medway, which is perhaps more relevant than what is happening on the Thames. ..... 

Actually, it applies to all EA waterways not just the Medway !!

LINK 

Still nothing here, usually the best source!  https://www.northamptonmarina.co.uk/navigation-works-calendar 

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
  • Greenie 1

Dear Customer

These are unprecedented times and here at the Environment Agency we have been working hard to make sure our response to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic follows Government advice, in the best interests of the health of our staff and customers.

We have done our best to maintain our sites and services as close as possible to business as usual, keeping waterways and facilities open for everyone to enjoy afloat and on foot, subject to following Government guidance.

Following Monday’s announcement from the Prime Minister about the UK’s heightened response to the Coronavirus emergency, we have taken the difficult decision to introduce limits to the use of our waterways to stop all non-essential travel. 

This means:

• We are asking the owners of all boats kept or used on our managed waterways not to make any journeys on their boats, other than to access essential services and facilities.

• We will not provide ‘assisted passage’ (staff to operate locks) at any of our lock sites but locks will remain open for self-service use where possible. This will allow those living aboard their boats to reach essential services if they need to. 

• At the few locks where self-service is not possible, our local teams will put special temporary operating arrangements in place to allow boats to return to their home moorings.  

• We will lift time restrictions on the short stay moorings we own or manage, to assist those who live aboard their boats so they can access essential services.

• We will do the very best we can to keep open the essential facilities we provide (e.g. water supply, sewage pump-out and chemical toilet disposal), for those who need them. However our staff will not be able to offer the sale of keys, cards or tokens. These essential services will not include the provision of shower and toilet facilities.  

• We advise our customers to stay at home rather than self-isolating aboard, unless your boat is your primary residence. This is so you do not put yourself at increased risk or place additional burden upon our facilities.

• The river conditions on our waterways are starting to improve and in some places our Strong Stream Advice will be updated in the coming days. However, any travel on our waterways should still be minimised to the essential movement outlined above. 

We will keep these restrictions under constant review in the light of the developing situation and advice from Government, but we expect them to be in place until at least 14 April 2020.  It goes without saying that our priority is to keep our staff and customers safe, and we will be working to make sure that everybody can get back to enjoying everything our waterways have to offer as soon as it is possible.

You will appreciate our National Customer Contact Centre is very busy at this time, please help us by getting in touch only if it’s essential. If you do need to contact us, we encourage you to email us at enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk

For the full Government guidance on coronavirus go to www.gov.uk/coronavirus

Thank you all for your co-operation during these very challenging times for everyone.

Best wishes

Alice Mayne
Deputy Director for Navigation and Commercial Development

Environment Agency

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Just arrived is this from EA on the Medway, which is perhaps more relevant than what is happening on the Thames. ..... 

Actually, it applies to all EA waterways not just the Medway !!

LINK 

Still nothing here, usually the best source!  https://www.northamptonmarina.co.uk/navigation-works-calendar 

Cheers, explains most of what I wanted to know! Did think they were just going to leave us in the dark as per usual lol.

6 minutes ago, lifeintheslowlanes said:

Cheers, explains most of what I wanted to know! Did think they were just going to leave us in the dark as per usual lol.

I've also been sent it by CRT, possibly because I have a gold licence. There's also a separate notice saying that Hermitage and Denver are closing on Friday evening fo rthe duration.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

3 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I've also been sent it by CRT, possibly because I have a gold licence. There's also a separate notice saying that Hermitage and Denver are closing on Friday evening fo rthe duration.

Ah that's odd i'm on a gold license too but haven't recieved anything as of yet. That does however answer the only question I had which was the situation with hermitage and denver... guess i'll be staying put for a little while longer. Whats another couple months when i've been stuck for the last 4 haha. Might be a good excuse to get out on some wild moorings for a while though so it's not all bad I guess!