Floor plywood thickness

Featured Posts

The soon-to-be back cabin area of the boat is currently floored with 1/2 inch ply. It’s in decent nick but I’m wondering about the merits of replacing with - say - 18mm especially as the main back cabin structure will be sitting on it. 
At present it is located on central fore-aft bearers and others down each side (eg no cross members). 

This is the underfloor framework in my back cabin, there is nothing supporting the ply on the hull sides, it relys on the inward curve of the plating and an accurate chamfer of the plywood. I fixed wood onto the steel but the original bearers were timber. 

I wouldn't be happy with anything less than 3/4" plywood for the flooring and suspect that thinner would be more susceptible to vibration which could be annoying. 

IMG_20181026_114654.jpg

Is this a trad back cabin? If so I would want longitudinal bearers a couple of feet apart down the middle, so you can have fixed floor panels either side beneath the bed and cupboard structures and central liftable floor panels to give access to the prop shaft.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Is this a trad back cabin? If so I would want longitudinal bearers a couple of feet apart down the middle, so you can have fixed floor panels either side beneath the bed and cupboard structures and central liftable floor panels to give access to the prop shaft.

Not sure if you're referring to mine or the op, the picture shows an identical structure to the original as fitted to a large Woolwich. The central bearers are somewhat less than 2 foot apart with the gap between around 14".

27 minutes ago, BWM said:

Not sure if you're referring to mine or the op, the picture shows an identical structure to the original as fitted to a large Woolwich. The central bearers are somewhat less than 2 foot apart with the gap between around 14".

I was referring to the OP, but your picture illustrates the point.

Well bearing in mind that the timber suppliers near me are all either closed or prioritising customers on essential work, and that the ply I've now measured more accurately and found to be 15mm (not a size I've come across but it's quite old) I've decided to leave well alone. I'll probably stiffen it with some screwed and glued timbers on the underside..

Thanks for all your advice (and, yes, it's a traditional cabin with bearers either side of the propshaft.