Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
mark99

"Essential Services" Darklist

Featured Posts

Our local car hand wash was documented as still open yesterday!

Hopefully the authorities will pay them a vist.

Just now, mark99 said:

Our local car hand wash was documented as still open yesterday!

Hopefully the authorities will pay them a vist.

To be fair getting others to wash yer car is essential if the windows are too mucky to see out of. I always use the automated ones. Washing a car makes as much sense as polishing brass innitt. 

The trouble is that, as we are now suddenly discovering, the bulk of essential jobs are lowpaid and insecure, and are now often done by those supposedly self employed.  And as there's no benefit safety net, it's work or have a fair risk of not only being hungry, but being slung out of your home too, especially as the government reneges on one promise after another (eg "no evictions" turns into an extra month on your notice to quit)

So if you have a mild case of what feels a bit like flu, what you going to do? Anyway, it might just be a bit of a cold...

• Greenie 3

We as a population perhaps should be considering a black list of businesses for boycott when this is all over. I certainly have two on my personal list. Pleased to see pet shops still allowed to open though. Supermarkets seem to think the only pet animals with needs to be met go woof or meow.

4 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

We as a population perhaps should be considering a black list of businesses for boycott when this is all over. I certainly have two on my personal list. Pleased to see pet shops still allowed to open though. Supermarkets seem to think the only pet animals with needs to be met go woof or meow.

I have managed to get stocked up with (hopefully) a couple of months worth of Dog, Poultry, Goat and Horse feed as the supplier expects the Mills to be closed down, not by 'decree' but by lack of staff due to 'self isolation'.

18 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

I saw #Halfords trending this morning. They are asking their (I understand poorly paid) workers to take health risks by going to work, and to take advantage of the pandemic situation.  People aren't very happy.

Edited by Jennifer McM
  • Angry 1

I was glad to see that Sports Direct backed down and finally shut up shop yesterday.

14 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I was glad to see that Sports Direct backed down and finally shut up shop yesterday.

Did they back down after reconsideration or after being grabbed by the throat and slammed against the wall?

1 minute ago, Sir Nibble said:

Did they back down after reconsideration or after being grabbed by the throat and slammed against the wall?

Essentially, the latter

Hasn't SportsDirect put up their prices by 60%? Which means, when they open their stores again, they can legally claim all their stock is 60% off.

Perhaps I'm too cynical?

3 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Hasn't SportsDirect put up their prices by 60%? Which means, when they open their stores again, they can legally claim all their stock is 60% off.

Perhaps I'm too cynical?

I don't think you can be too cynical, where the owner of Sports Direct is concerned.

• Haha 3

I am surprised that clothes shops are not viewed as essential; are we to become a nation of naturists?

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I am surprised that clothes shops are not viewed as essential; are we to become a nation of naturists?

RSBP have had to shut.

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Royal Society for Boaters Protection

Not to be confused with RSPB (Royal Society for the Prevention of Birds).

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

Not to be confused with RSPB (Royal Society for the Prevention of Birds).

No confusion, the letters are in a different order.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No confusion, the letters are in a different order.

Quite so - but how many of our members think that there is a "RWLP" on the forum?

And how many know that "DNA" is the National Dyslexic Association?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

This is a true.

We've been doing some major internal work on a boat for a couple who have not long bought it. One of them was supposed to have a major op so they had booked in a Travelodge next to the hospital until he was discharged. They were booted out yesterday by way of a note stuck under their door, two hours after a conversation with the head office which assured them everything was OK. 

Emergency tidy up and make safe and they moved on late afternoon.

Also kicked out was a 85 year old lady who's husband had just had a triple bypass, her new flat is not ready yet, no heating or kitchen.

Well done Travelodge,  not.