Mystery Pic

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

I'm pretty sure it's Torksey - the low wing wall and higher gates are are a match, also if you enlarge and look behind the second post from the right you can make out the paddle gear. Very Humber looking boat too.

Update:

Case closed I think - click the link and scroll down the page a bit - the building with the dormer windows can clearly be seen.

https://www.gainsboroughheritage.co.uk/trentside-memories-new-publication-available-now/

Edited by Rose Narrowboats
  • Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

I'm pretty sure it's Torksey - the low wing wall and higher gates are are a match, also if you enlarge and look behind the second post from the right you can make out the paddle gear. Very Humber looking boat too.

Update:

Case closed I think - click the link and scroll down the page a bit - the building with the dormer windows can clearly be seen.

https://www.gainsboroughheritage.co.uk/trentside-memories-new-publication-available-now/

Torksey-Lock-768x478.jpg

Richard

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Got it - the map fits

36 minutes ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

Update:

Thanks all 

Let's see what dad's next brain teaser is

Here's another mystery which I posted some time ago under the heading of horses and steam - but where could it be?  It is many years since I was last cruising on English canals but I have a vague memory of this looking a bit like the Tring cutting of the GU.  Any thoughts?

The original post read--

"This painting dates from 1888 and, I think, depicts a boat with steam or smoke emitting plus a tow-rope in use - presumably with a horse.   The painting is behind a glass frame so the picture is a bit confused with reflections.

I read somewhere that Henry De Salis  used a boat that looked a bit like a gondola when touring the canals to write his first guide book - could this be him?"

20160928_225235.jpg.fa660b098699da9ae428d970592b94d5.jpg

17 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

Long way off Patrick although I wish I did have photos from that canal

Okay - now I've got to think where else there are substantially intact locks with a tailbridge and trees growing in them! It's wprth going to see the L&LU, there are a lot of substantial remains

18 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Here's a lock I visited recently. 

dsc_8393.jpg

hmmm, a large modern concrete flood lock with gate paddles that can only be operated by elves or similar small creatures... 

58 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Okay - now I've got to think where else there are substantially intact locks with a tailbridge and trees growing in them! It's wprth going to see the L&LU, there are a lot of substantial remains

hmmm, a large modern concrete flood lock with gate paddles that can only be operated by elves or similar small creatures... 

Clue 1: And no longer in use -- the floodbank in the distance blocks off the canal.

Clue 2: The town this lock is in has the same name as the canal itself. And it also describes its function.

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

WI would they do that? Does it not take ages to get to the port now they have blocked off the canal? ;)

Very good, you win the prize.  The local we met was rather surprised that anyone knew there was a canal at all!

https://scholargypsy.org.uk/2020/01/06/wisconsin-new-year-2020/

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

22 hours ago, Loddon said:

Heres one,  Not the best of pics.

Where was it? 

2020-03-25 20.20.06.jpg

You ask where was it, so presumably it's not there any more?

It's clearly a Grand Union type lock, but I'm not that familar with the GU - the building behind should be recognisable though

Unless @Pluto is going to come along and tell us that teh GU was the model for a very similar canal in Azerbaijan or something...

23 hours ago, Waterway2go said:

Here's another mystery which I posted some time ago under the heading of horses and steam - but where could it be?  It is many years since I was last cruising on English canals but I have a vague memory of this looking a bit like the Tring cutting of the GU.  Any thoughts?

The original post read--

"This painting dates from 1888 and, I think, depicts a boat with steam or smoke emitting plus a tow-rope in use - presumably with a horse.   The painting is behind a glass frame so the picture is a bit confused with reflections.

I read somewhere that Henry De Salis  used a boat that looked a bit like a gondola when touring the canals to write his first guide book - could this be him?"

20160928_225235.jpg.fa660b098699da9ae428d970592b94d5.jpg

I can see where you're coming from...

Tring Cutting.JPG

As to the boat - Rodolph de Salis had a steam launch named dragonfly but I think it would be stretching it to say it looked like that

Edited by magpie patrick

9 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

You ask where was it, so presumably it's not there any more?

It's clearly a Grand Union type lock, but I'm not that familar with the GU - the building behind should be recognisable though

The site is on the GU and still in use but somewhat different.