Mystery Pic

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

To keep dad entertained whilst on lockdown in his care home people have been emailing him pictures to identify - there have been some challenging ones but those dad can't get I usually can. This one however had me stumped, and when I sent a message back to that effect it transpired that the originator didn't know either. 

Any ideas anyone?

Juno John Foley.jpg

Thanks guys - the only further clue I can offer is it was apparently in a set labelled "southern GU", but I'm so certain it's NOT the southern GU that seemed a pointless addition.

Yes, the boat has a wheelhouse and combings, so it does look a bit Humber Keel-ish, the house in the background looks European - where's @Pluto when you need him? 

It is a pity indeed that the photo cannot be "blown up" so that the sign on the right-hand side could be read. When I tried, the text of your post got bigger but the photo stayed the same size.

49 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

the house in the background looks European - where's @Pluto when you need him? 

I'm not convinced by that, there are plenty of pan tiled roofs in the UK, I believe they were imported from Holland as ballast. That might suggest an east coast location

Otherwise the telegraph post behind the house and the small shed with stovepipe chimneypot looks very UK

Richard

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Agreed. Plenty of pantile roofs like that in East Yorkshire.

My inital thought was if it might be early West Stockwith Lock or possibly where the river meets the Trent. The capstan might have been for manoeuvring barges off the Trent into the lock. I think they used capstans at some Thames flash locks

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Otherwise the telegraph post behind the house and the small shed with stovepipe chimneypot looks very UK

I thought that too. On the other hand, the dormers in the building are very non-UK in style. A comment I seem to remember being made about another photo on here a year or two ago. Maybe the same photo, or same region?

Actually no. Here's that thread:

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I thought he was the bassist in "The Monkees"...

Yes, they hired him for the series because he didn't demand a high salary.

Tork is cheap.

Perhaps the Ancholme or Pocklington or Driffield. As it looks like a motorised keel, it needs to be a canal which was open and used commercially circa 1930-1940, the sign suggesting that there was possibly some tourism.

57 minutes ago, Pluto said:

Perhaps the Ancholme or Pocklington or Driffield. As it looks like a motorised keel, it needs to be a canal which was open and used commercially circa 1930-1940, the sign suggesting that there was possibly some tourism.

My first thought was maybe Pocklington, River Ouse or Ripon Canal. There's quite a few pantiled roof buildings around there. But it's not my local area, so it was a wild guess really.

1 hour ago, Pluto said:

Good thoughts 

Not the Ancholme as I can picture the only two locks and it's neither of them - nothing to do with the buildings it's the locks

1 minute ago, John Brightley said:

My first thought was maybe Pocklington, River Ouse or Ripon Canal. There's quite a few pantiled roof buildings around there. But it's not my local area, so it was a wild guess really.

Not the Ouse, the locks have much more freeboard

You've both suggested Pocklington - I've only seen that once nearly forty years ago but I seem to recall rounded wing walls, although of course it's possible one or more locks were different

I think we're getting warm (and as stated, I don't know the answer