Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
churchward

How do we cope with staying at home and isolation

Featured Posts

34 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

don't think son would appreciate dogs in the car. 

AFAIK no-one is going to challenge a mild mannered (  :rolleyes:  ) elderly man like me driving around the local neighbourhood (even without dogs in the car) unless they just want to look at the car and do the anorak thing. 

P1000854.JPG

It doesn't look very roomy inside but at least there's a useful luggage rack on the back.

surprisingly the luggage rack is made of soft foam plastic with a resilient hard surface.  I'm not sure that it adds much to downforce but it does look like the mutt's danglies.   B)

At least it's gor a decent amount of rubber on those wheels.

Modern motors have rubber bands for tyres and it 'one' lives away from towns amd cities (ugh) the apalling state of most roads will be uncomfortable / expensive in shatterd tyres...

On 25/03/2020 at 13:49, john6767 said:

They can remain open, but unless it essential stuff you need you can’t go there.  I see B&Q are closed at the moment while they work out to stay open supplying only essential items.  

I need paint and it’s is hard to get paint delivered given as it is classified as hazardous, even water based, so looks like I have my excuse to stop doing decorating.

Craftmaster delivered to me at home a couple of years ago. They might still be operating online?

Or... if someone is going to Homebase for something essential, I wonder if you can buy something non essential, (like paint), while you are there?

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

Craftmaster delivered to me at home a couple of years ago. They might still be operating online?

Or... if someone is going to Homebase for something essential, I wonder if you can buy something non essential, (like paint), while you are there?

Still doing on line delivery  https://www.craftmasterpaints.co.uk/

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

On 25/03/2020 at 09:44, churchward said:

Mains electricity supply is not likely to be at risk unless the people operating the power stations all get ill or they needed to ration supply to prioritise hospitals etc.  I have not heard of that kind of issue occurring in Italy or Spain.

In any case file that thought in folder called "things I can't do anything about"  Although since you are a boat dweller you generate your own electricity so that is a blessing to count.

Broadband for similar reasons should be OK but again nothing you can do about it.  Broadband max speeds may be capped to help sharing of capacity but actually the system throttles itself to an extent.  In an area we share the bandwidth/capacity the more people who use it at once the less there is to go round.  It is more of an issue with copper networks but less so with Fibre as the capacity is high on them.  It's a bit like if everyone turned on their water taps in a street all at once each house would get some but at lower pressure and volume.

I am very lucky at home although I live remotely about 18months ago or so we got fibre all the way to the house or FTTP as they call it. so speeds are good more than we need at around 35mb/s so something for me to be grateful for.  Mobile signal is rubbish though and almost non-existent it seems to depend on the weather, how man clouds are in the sky etc..

I get 50+ mb/s on copper, your's must be more

27 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

I get 50+ mb/s on copper, your's must be more

Yes I do. I should have typed 75mb/s not 35 it could be faster than that but it is throttled at the exchange as it is all that I pay for.  20mb/s for what I use it for would be plenty.

Edited by churchward

18 hours ago, Athy said:

It doesn't look very roomy inside but at least there's a useful luggage rack on the back.

That's not a luggage rack, it is the optional deluxe cup holder capable of holding a complete tea set. 😁🤣😂

• Greenie 1

On 26/03/2020 at 13:55, Athy said:

No, it's a George Foreman BBQ grill

Edited by LadyG

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

No, it's a George Foreman BBQ grill

Engine heated? How long a drive to cook the sausages?

7 hours ago, DandV said:

Engine heated? How long a drive to cook the sausages?

hmmm   .....   if I removed the cooling fan belt on the mighty air-cooled engine it might work  ..................  but I don't think son would be too impressed.

.....................  oh! and the plastic grill would get saggy and the sausages would fall off, even if I drove carefully.   .......   saggy roadkill sausages - no thanks.

Edited by Murflynn

1 minute ago, mark99 said:

My immediate experience is that they take the order/money but don't deliver nor give you an update.

I fully appreciate the situation means they cannot deliver - however no communication is not good.

Oh dear. My experience a couple of years ago led me to preferring to order from the Chandlers at Stockton Heath, and drive to collect. This can mean waiting for their next order or paying a tenner for them to order it specially.

If you do get your delivery, open the box in front of the delivery driver and make sure nothing has been bashed and leaked. Mine was badly packed to say the least.

4 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Oh dear. My experience a couple of years ago led me to preferring to order from the Chandlers at Stockton Heath, and drive to collect. This can mean waiting for their next order or paying a tenner for them to order it specially.

If you do get your delivery, open the box in front of the delivery driver and make sure nothing has been bashed and leaked. Mine was badly packed to say the least.

They just contacted me to say it was delivered to wrong address and apologised. Will check when arrives ta.

Edited by mark99

Sign in to follow this