Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
churchward

How do we cope with staying at home and isolation

Featured Posts

Nothing to add - Wise words for us all to digest.

Finally I will be able to get hold of the elusive "Round Tuit."

Now we are barred from the boat and van.

"The Boss" has started on making the garden tidy, bought a pile of seeds and cleaned out the greenhouse.
I washed the Midget this afternoon and can see a few rust spots I am going to have to sort out.
And if it rains I've got a model railway to finish.

• Greenie 1

Mr.Chuchward - or may I call you G.J.? - I have awarded a Greeno for your post but it probably merits about three of them.

I did mention your point no.1 in an earlier post, but you've thought it through far further trhan I had.

For us, not a huge amount has changed. I have my office, where I work part-time writing things, upstairs. Mrs. Athy has the study downstairs as her office. Instead of being based there some of the time, and attending her company's offices at P'bo' or Cambridge a couple of days a week, she now works exclusively from there. I have said to her in the past that there were entire weeks when the only people I spoke to, apart from her, were selling me something, so little has changed there. By chance we got a couple of things done - haircut, buying new car - a couple of weeks ago which we could not do now. We almost went to the boat last weekend, decided to go next weekend instead....oh well, one can't win 'em all.

24 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

"The Boss" has started on making the garden tidy, bought a pile of seeds and cleaned out the greenhouse.
I washed the Midget this afternoon and can see a few rust spots I am going to have to sort out.
And if it rains I've got a model railway to finish.

Let's hope for a great warm and long summer and a pleasant Spring would be good too.  No time spent on the model railway is waisted either it is creative, thoughtful and even artistic.  It covers a lot of what helps our well-being mentally.  Losing oneself in an hour or two operating session is very relaxing. 

I fully accept though that it only works if you have an interest in railways etc. but a creative hobby of any kind has many benefits.

26 minutes ago, Athy said:

Mr.Chuchward - or may I call you G.J.? - I have awarded a Greeno for your post but it probably merits about three of them.

I did mention your point no.1 in an earlier post, but you've thought it through far further trhan I had.

For us, not a huge amount has changed. I have my office, where I work part-time writing things, upstairs. Mrs. Athy has the study downstairs as her office. Instead of being based there some of the time, and attending her company's offices at P'bo' or Cambridge a couple of days a week, she now works exclusively from there. I have said to her in the past that there were entire weeks when the only people I spoke to, apart from her, were selling me something, so little has changed there. By chance we got a couple of things done - haircut, buying new car - a couple of weeks ago which we could not do now. We almost went to the boat last weekend, decided to go next weekend instead....oh well, one can't win 'em all.

Yes I saw and was part of what triggered my thoughts.  For those interested it is a very fortunate thing to have a garden in these circumstances.  With hopefully good weather coming it is going to be great to get outside in our own space and enjoy the fresh air.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Im spending my time assembling a time machine.

See you in November.

Which year?

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, churchward said:

With our now enforced isolation and “stay at home policy” and other restrictions on where we can go and when, I have been thinking about how to mentally deal with the situation and get through it. It is worth a conversation around I think our approach to our own and the household’s well-being.  So, what are your thoughts?

For my own part I think it is important to have a strategy and tactics that will help. I have been trying for instance to think of upsides to the situation.

1.     The garden this year will look the best it has ever been.

2.     I am hoping for a bumper crop of vegetables to help feed us in the house.

3.     The Morris Minors are going to get more TLC than usual.

4.     Both Model railway layouts are also going to get more TLC and renewal.

5.     Lots of jobs around the house will get done that have been waiting but time has been lacking.

6.      More time for studies.

We do need to count our blessings as above and what’s good about the coming day e.g. I am still virus free, we have enough food, I am with the people I love etc.

Much of how we deal with the situation is about our own attitude and what we decide.  We can’t do anything about the virus or the situation we are in but we can decide how we go about our day and how we treat each other.

That being said if we are living with someone we need to be tolerant and allow them space to express themselves, we will all get frustrated from time to time.

We need to find a new rhythm to our lives and a new daily routine to retain or return some order and purpose to our days.  It is also important I think to make sure you take time to treat yourself to an activity you like or something that makes you feel good.  We need to try and make the day go by well and not be a drudge.

I like to keep up to date with what is going on but it is also important not to obsess about what you cannot control but focus on what you can.

Stay in touch with friends and family and all the people you love. Social media is great for this but it is no substitute for seeing someone and talking to them.  We may not be able to see many of them just now but we can speak to them on the phone and have a chat and that will make all involved feel better and act as a support group.  Also true to check on neighbours especially any older people who may be living alone.

If you are healthy and fit enough consider volunteering for local help services in any way you can for any activity you are able to do.  Pass any kindness received on to others.

OK perhaps some random and erratic thoughts but over to you now.

And I for one would love to receive periodic updates on how your projects and garden are progressing. With photos?

Take care.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Ray T said:

Finally I will be able to get hold of the elusive "Round Tuit."

I've had one of those for years it's in the loft

54 minutes ago, DandV said:

And I for one would love to receive periodic updates on how your projects and garden are progressing. With photos?

Take care.

That is food for thought.  I suppose in these extraordinary times it may be good to have a record.

Just now, churchward said:

That is food for thought.  I suppose in these extraordinary times it may be good to have a record.

A youtube vlog maybe

1 minute ago, buccaneer66 said:

A youtube vlog maybe

I am not sure I would go that far although I do enjoy following several utube vlogers on a range of subjects.

It is another thing I can enjoy day to day as long as the broadband works!

Today I took delivery of a 1977 3.0 Porsche 911 Carrera Targa on behalf of my son who is working (and now stuck) in Saudi.  He is busily compiling a list of things (for me) to do.  

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Not quite 'there' yet, but I'll never be able to live up to this splendid pair :hug:

They got rhythm!

How splendid.

Have we had any assurance that electrickery will be unrestricted, and the internet. I spend hours on net every day, I did a few corses online, quite intensive. coursera.org

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Have we had any assurance that electrickery will be unrestricted, and the internet. I spend hours on net every day, I did a few corses online, quite intensive. coursera.org

It has been reported that the 'internet' (Broadband) is being 'throttled' and as more folks start using all the film streaming it is said that it will be further 'rationed'.

Seeing as the absolute best we ever get is 3Mb (which drops to 1 or below when 'the kids get home from school) and we are 5Km from the exchange and it is 'copper' all the way, and we are 'the last on the line' I doubt we will notice much difference.

I actually get better speeds using my phone and 'hot-spot' off it.

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

All the big streaming services including the brand new Disney+ have lowered the max resolution of the videos they make available which allegedly will reduce the butden on ISP's

We got an email from our provider to re assure us they have ample capacity but to expect increased wait times if we needed to call them.

As for electric no ides, ive not seen anything that suggests there is a capscity issue yet. Thst said our power did go off the other day and we had a brief moment of concern at the prospect of being locked down with no power!

Nothing much will change for me. I am working from home so will be busy for 7.5 hours each day with that. I have shifted my hours this week so that I am starting early and finishing early but that might change next week when Liam is not working so won't be getting up as early.

We have decorating to be getting on with so that will keep Liam busy while I am working. The Sierra will probably get a few bits done too it, that hasn't seen the light of day since we moved house and we will keep the garden looking neat and tidy. We won't get around to the landscaping on the front that we had hoped to do this year as we won't be able to go and buy the plants and gravel but that can be don't another time, no rush.

We are lucky that we have super fast fibre at home so a drop off in speed won't really bother us too much. The mobile network however is really not very good, even worse now everyone is trying to use it at the same time.

Out of interest what Sierra do you have? I done my apprenticeship on Fords back in the 70s so have an interest in Fords.

4 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Out of interest what Sierra do you have? I done my apprenticeship on Fords back in the 70s so have an interest in Fords.

1985 XR4i

16836497-1418642628188374-79644658708155

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Greenie 2

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

Mains electricity supply is not likely to be at risk unless the people operating the power stations all get ill or they needed to ration supply to prioritise hospitals etc.  I have not heard of that kind of issue occurring in Italy or Spain.

In any case file that thought in folder called "things I can't do anything about"  Although since you are a boat dweller you generate your own electricity so that is a blessing to count.

Broadband for similar reasons should be OK but again nothing you can do about it.  Broadband max speeds may be capped to help sharing of capacity but actually the system throttles itself to an extent.  In an area we share the bandwidth/capacity the more people who use it at once the less there is to go round.  It is more of an issue with copper networks but less so with Fibre as the capacity is high on them.  It's a bit like if everyone turned on their water taps in a street all at once each house would get some but at lower pressure and volume.

I am very lucky at home although I live remotely about 18months ago or so we got fibre all the way to the house or FTTP as they call it. so speeds are good more than we need at around 35mb/s so something for me to be grateful for.  Mobile signal is rubbish though and almost non-existent it seems to depend on the weather, how man clouds are in the sky etc..

Edited by churchward

Sign in to follow this