Researchers Launch Coronavirus Tracking App

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

Don't know about Apple, but for Android it seems to want access to your whole phone. A bit suspect.

This app has access to:

c5fJsmDZCeHY1tZmeGXL12sHi8herULd72A_egjaAHylmgM-4gLiw4CuDJSzNnK5q8yxAAy4RyxtkdYzcg=s20-rwContacts
  • read your contacts
pHtIujPWxciAZcfYSwlrGGq14Z984rKLMgcm9RPATLiOlbrWy-tVlelEWgED7gpktgcD1tZizVeHiO5fkw=s20-rwPhotos / Media / Files
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
xbP_oGuJ21iG29iVh0p-UIZPzi_fYj8PMYiqDd9-LvaZ_a1tRcwp0I2-arfXvgX9YtfZTTaqwcLRWPNQM_c=s20-rwCamera
  • take pictures and videos
4rkEm_eN4F8lAtqf1avrqAQ49_IjMjRduxI5szmftCXmKzSaLsNScjM5DSGQp2qtI5R_fqj8j7aJi_G3dg=s20-rwLocation
  • approximate location (network-based)
  • precise location (GPS and network-based)
U-_SG8pHTsqU_IyZTGQRkVMdLaAUeq1OnKGrB06KHF1z7vkkIQK3iF0HcbfTe1RnGlh-ajnZkbphl2W3Gdk=s20-rwWi-Fi connection information
  • view Wi-Fi connections
HamT9lfCgDFF51sEKg0PVXBeo5spdXLKf7ZGZwBg4DqDCzIqraYBO3iNyi0cqGzXR_wktUPw56h-_KUf=s20-rwCalendar
  • read calendar events plus confidential information
  • add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without owners' knowledge
aWNKQedLTpw6u6yyMjQObmuoKu67A1czWnIcvID86oAmMT02r5mNdRn6l9ZN2t2MIyH6tNy-01v7ukeQ=s20-rwStorage
QDYtvjtZon4TYi4-wkvfIqszmmJL258051XdtozjpIZVH-8zVoay1oBS9vw7lzDYYaDz48AzxmOY040lNqc=s20-rwPhone
  • read phone status and identity
daUjqbSOr2QpaqXS2HQbNzYzzqN2yWGzM_7AZxwFaWLT7_kIhX95HKi_HSpjeeQDOmFMENZxJqblbu_4qg=s20-rwMicrophone
  • record audio
l2htRLV5Mt-RZ6nroJCXy3OF_CqdntOsEetnLEjH1wC-WJWV00R5orcBWj0NMFKJVEQU6JhPYRBCKnj3_Q=s20-rwDevice ID & call information

Other
  • manage document storage
  • receive data from Internet
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • view network connections
  • draw over other apps
  • run at startup
  • change your audio settings
  • install shortcuts
  • control vibration
  • full network access
  • read Google service configuration
  • modify system settings

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Dunno about Android but presumably it’s like iOS where you can simply disable the access you don’t want it to have?

You can do, but most people just install and go. Unaware of what it's up to in the background.

I hate apps that do that. It's surely got no reason to need all those permissions? So why are they using them? Tinfoil hat at the ready...   :D

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

You can do, but most people just install and go. Unaware of what it's up to in the background.

I hate apps that do that. It's surely got no reason to need all those permissions? So why are they using them? Tinfoil hat at the ready...   :D

Conspiracy theorists will say what they like to say of course :)

Knowing nowt about designing apps perhaps it’s simpler to design it like that?

Or maybe the conspiracy theorists are right...

If some company I've never heard of makes a couple of quid out of selling the data about how I feel each morning or even where I've been, that is fine with me given primary use to which that data is being put. My data will contribute slightly in helping the whole human race get on top of this problem. I see it as churlish to be quibbling about ZOE.com also benefitting. Do you know for a fact they will be? What if they developed the app FOC?

There are those in the world who are givers, and those who are takers...

1 hour ago, ronnietucker said:

Don't know about Apple, but for Android it seems to want access to your whole phone. A bit suspect.

This app has access to:

c5fJsmDZCeHY1tZmeGXL12sHi8herULd72A_egjaAHylmgM-4gLiw4CuDJSzNnK5q8yxAAy4RyxtkdYzcg=s20-rwContacts
  • read your contacts
pHtIujPWxciAZcfYSwlrGGq14Z984rKLMgcm9RPATLiOlbrWy-tVlelEWgED7gpktgcD1tZizVeHiO5fkw=s20-rwPhotos / Media / Files
xbP_oGuJ21iG29iVh0p-UIZPzi_fYj8PMYiqDd9-LvaZ_a1tRcwp0I2-arfXvgX9YtfZTTaqwcLRWPNQM_c=s20-rwCamera
  • take pictures and videos
4rkEm_eN4F8lAtqf1avrqAQ49_IjMjRduxI5szmftCXmKzSaLsNScjM5DSGQp2qtI5R_fqj8j7aJi_G3dg=s20-rwLocation
  • approximate location (network-based)
  • precise location (GPS and network-based)
U-_SG8pHTsqU_IyZTGQRkVMdLaAUeq1OnKGrB06KHF1z7vkkIQK3iF0HcbfTe1RnGlh-ajnZkbphl2W3Gdk=s20-rwWi-Fi connection information
  • view Wi-Fi connections
HamT9lfCgDFF51sEKg0PVXBeo5spdXLKf7ZGZwBg4DqDCzIqraYBO3iNyi0cqGzXR_wktUPw56h-_KUf=s20-rwCalendar
  • read calendar events plus confidential information
  • add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without owners' knowledge
aWNKQedLTpw6u6yyMjQObmuoKu67A1czWnIcvID86oAmMT02r5mNdRn6l9ZN2t2MIyH6tNy-01v7ukeQ=s20-rwStorage
QDYtvjtZon4TYi4-wkvfIqszmmJL258051XdtozjpIZVH-8zVoay1oBS9vw7lzDYYaDz48AzxmOY040lNqc=s20-rwPhone
daUjqbSOr2QpaqXS2HQbNzYzzqN2yWGzM_7AZxwFaWLT7_kIhX95HKi_HSpjeeQDOmFMENZxJqblbu_4qg=s20-rwMicrophone
  • record audio
l2htRLV5Mt-RZ6nroJCXy3OF_CqdntOsEetnLEjH1wC-WJWV00R5orcBWj0NMFKJVEQU6JhPYRBCKnj3_Q=s20-rwDevice ID & call information

Other
  • manage document storage
  • receive data from Internet
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • view network connections
  • draw over other apps
  • run at startup
  • change your audio settings
  • install shortcuts
  • control vibration
  • full network access