Researchers Launch Coronavirus Tracking App

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

Researchers in the UK have launched a coronavirus tracking smartphone app and are urging everyone to use it to help us track the spread of the deadly disease.

The COVID-19 Symptom Tracker app can be downloaded for free for both iOS and Android devices. It asks users to put in details like their age, sex and postcode and then take one minute each day to report on whether or not they feel healthy. If not, they can answer questions on a wide range of symptoms like a dry cough, fever or fatigue. The app will help health officials build up a picture of how the virus is spreading through the UK and what can be done to help areas most at risk.

The app was a collaborative effort from researchers at Kings College London and Guy’s and St Thomas’ hospitals alongside the health data company ZOE.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/24/coronavirus-symptom-tracker-app-launches-can-help-stop-disease-12449524/?ico=pushly-notifcation-small&utm_source=pushly?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

• Greenie 1

I've searched for the app on Google store, but it's not come up. I've also searched for a website based app... but that failed too.

It looks great. You don't have to be ill, you put your info in, like if you've asthma, age, etc. Then for a couple of minutes every day you update the app. 

I'll keep trying to download it as it's something maybe I can contribute to.

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

I've searched for the app on Google store, but it's not come up. I've also searched for a website based app... but that failed too.

I've just followed your first link, found it and downloaded it onto my iPhone. 

There was a link to the Android app next to the link for the Apple app that I selected.

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

"Our twins are fantastically committed, enthusiastic health research participants who have already been studied in unprecedented detail, putting us in a unique position to provide vital answers to support the global fight against COVID-19,’ Professor Spector said."

Professor Spector??  Clearly something from straight out of a movie!

• Horror 1

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Get an iPhone.

Hard to put a value on things that 'just work'.

Apple find it easy enough to put a value on it!!

Ps I have owned iPhones since they were launched. I still reckon they are the best. 

A08069A5-560F-4EF2-8C1B-7B080E9B7CFD.png

The phrase "alongside the health data company ZOE." would terminally put me off, even if I had a smartphone, which i don't.  Health companies have been trying to get access to personal info for years and have already made fortunes out of what as supposed to be redacted info from the NHS.

ZOE is "a nutritional science company on a mission to help people eat with confidence...  based in Boston and London, and are backed by investors and entrepreneurs who have built multi-billion dollar technology companies". So, if you trust billion dollar tech companies with your personal info, go ahead... pardon my cynicism.

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The phrase "alongside the health data company ZOE." would terminally put me off, even if I had a smartphone, which i don't.  Health companies have been trying to get access to personal info for years and have already made fortunes out of what as supposed to be redacted info from the NHS.

ZOE is "a nutritional science company on a mission to help people eat with confidence...  based in Boston and London, and are backed by investors and entrepreneurs who have built multi-billion dollar technology companies". So, if you trust billion dollar tech companies with your personal info, go ahead... pardon my cynicism.

Did you actually bother to read everything before forming that opion?

You are contributing to advance research on COVID-19 in partnership with leading scientific institutions like King’s College London and the Twins Study, one of the most clinically detailed studies in the world.

All of your data is securely protected and will be used only with public health or other research institutions (i.e. universities, scientific organizations etc) doing research on COVID-19 - these include King’s College London, Guys & St Thomas' Hospitals and the NHS. No information you share will be used for commercial purposes. You can read more, as well as find a list of the institutions we are working with, in our our privacy policy

56 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This writes someone who confuses value with price!

I don’t confuse the two but maybe should have added that Apple would value them as priceless. 

2 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

Did you actually bother to read everything before forming that opion?

You are contributing to advance research on COVID-19 in partnership with leading scientific institutions like King’s College London and the Twins Study, one of the most clinically detailed studies in the world.

All of your data is securely protected and will be used only with public health or other research institutions (i.e. universities, scientific organizations etc) doing research on COVID-19 - these include King’s College London, Guys & St Thomas' Hospitals and the NHS. No information you share will be used for commercial purposes. You can read more, as well as find a list of the institutions we are working with, in our our privacy policy

Yup. A privacy policy by a healthcare company backed by tech companies is worth exactly as much as a privacy policy made by any other tech company.  I am astonished such naiveity still exists.

They may even, just possibly, mean it this morning. But the company that buys them out for the data next year won't. Nor will the hackers who get hold of all your personal info because the security somewhere along all the people its shared with is crap.

12 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Yup. A privacy policy by a healthcare company backed by tech companies is worth exactly as much as a privacy policy made by any other tech company.  I am astonished such naiveity still exists.

They may even, just possibly, mean it this morning. But the company that buys them out for the data next year won't. Nor will the hackers who get hold of all your personal info because the security somewhere along all the people its shared with is crap.

I'm not sure what harm you think is gonna come to you from telling the app each day if you feel well, or not, even if the data IS sold on.

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm not sure what harm you think is gonna come to you from telling the app each day if you feel well, or not, even if the data IS sold on.

Presumably it is tracking you location as well, or is that a different one.  I thought there was one app that used Bluetooth to track who you came close to, and therefore be able to track the passing of infection person to person.

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

Presumably it is tracking you location as well, or is that a different one.  I thought there was one app that used Bluetooth to track who you came close to, and therefore be able to track the passing of infection person to person.

This one certainly doesn’t do that.