Time to go

LadyG

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

There is some minimal airborne transmission, in that it can stay alive for short periods in airborne water droplets from coughs and sneezes (and theoretically their breath).  That's partly why we're being asked to keep 2 metres away.  The 2 metre thing is also a reasonable distance to make very sure that nobody accidentally touches you.  The most likely source of transmission is touching surfaces which have bee recently touched by others (recent can be up to 72 hours depending on the surface type).  This is why it's off crucial importance not to touch your eyes, mouth, nose or ears while you're out and to thoroughly wash your hands when you get in.  Obvious things to think of are door and gate handles, pin keypads, any kind of touch screen, anything which is passed to you - paper, coins etc.  When you do need to shop, think about the items you're picking up, which would benefit from wiping down when you get home, and then you wash your hands again.  This also applies to delivered items.

Also for those still thinking of heading out boating lock gates, paddle gear, the buttons on self operated hydraulic locks, sanitary station facilities, water points, gates on locked pontoons, 

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

Also for those still thinking of heading out boating lock gates, paddle gear, the buttons on self operated hydraulic locks, sanitary station facilities, water points, gates on locked pontoons, 

Exactly, which was the nub of my objection to the reason for this thread in the first place.  Boating, by definition, is incompatible with social distancing. 

• Greenie 3

16 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Be careful not to feel too secure about wearing gloves.  They absolutely will not help if you touch a contaminated surface while wearing them and then wipe your eye or mouth.  These sort of actions are often done instinctively without realising.  I've had to explain this to people who have said they aren't at risk because they're wearing gloves.

It strikes me that wearing disposable gloves should be thought of as equivalent to washing one's hands. The level of protection they afford seems to me to be more or less equivalent.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It strikes me that wearing disposable gloves should be thought of as equivalent to washing one's hands. The level of protection they afford seems to me to be more or less equivalent.

Not really.  That would only hold if you kept changing to new gloves each time to had a new interaction.  Then the taking off of the gloves would be a problem and you ought to wash your hands anyway.  I've seen shop staff on tills wearing disposable gloves whilst serving a constant stream of customers.  That is giving no more protection than using bare hands.  Possibly the protection is less because of the false sense of security the gloves are giving.  If there were gloves impregnated with some kind of anti-viral substance then that would help, but I don't know if they exist.

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Not really.  That would only hold if you kept changing to new gloves each time to had a new interaction.  Then the taking off of the gloves would be a problem and you ought to wash your hands anyway.  I've seen shop staff on tills wearing disposable gloves whilst serving a constant stream of customers.  That is giving no more protection than using bare hands.  Possibly the protection is less because of the false sense of security the gloves are giving.  If there were gloves impregnated with some kind of anti-viral substance then that would help, but I don't know if they exist.

Yes, I have thought it through loosely and came to all those conclusions myself, particularly the need to wash one's hands caused by taking them off! 

But when hand washing facilities are not available, putting on pairs of disposable gloves every so often seems to me better than nothing, hence my conclusion they are broadly analogous to hand-washing. 

Not exactly the same, but still better than nothing. What do you think? Do disposable gloves have a part to play when going to the water point, or shopping, say? Or does the false sense of security they engender do more damage then the benefit?

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes, I have thought it through loosely and came to all those conclusions myself, particularly the need to wash one's hands caused by taking them off! 

But when hand washing facilities are not available, putting on pairs of disposable gloves every so often seems to me better than nothing, hence my conclusion they are broadly analogous to hand-washing. 

Not exactly the same, but still better than nothing. What do you think? Do disposable gloves have a part to play when going to the water point, or shopping, say? Or does the false sense of security they engender do more damage then the benefit?

I think it depends on the person.  If the person understands why they're wearing gloves then maybe.  But if they aren't the sharpest tool and have just been given them by their manager, then I think they could do more harm than good.  Alcohol gel would be a better protection but it plays havoc with my delicate skin!  Luckily, I've been able to shut myself off from the world pretty well and have access to soap and water almost all the time.  When I do have to go out, I wash my hands thoroughly before leaving, go and do the thing I need to do as quickly as possible, come boack and wash my hands again.  While out I make sure to not touch anything unless I really have to.

Just maintain the hand washing, and not touching the face, keeping surfaces clean, taps and handles.  Everyday normal activity, even under usual times, means you're coming into contact with all kinds of bugs. 

51 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I went into the local Spar yesterday and was pleased with myself for pushing the door open with my elbow. Then I had to leave... ;)

You wait for another customer arriving, he will let you out.

1 minute ago, Higgs said:

Just maintain the hand washing, and not touching the face, keeping surfaces clean, taps and handles.  Everyday normal activity, even under usual times, means you're coming into contact with all kinds of bugs. 

True, but this bug has just killed over 20,000 people and counting, we have no vaccine or cure for it, and unchecked it could kill millions.  That's the difference with this one.

5 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I think it depends on the person.  If the person understands why they're wearing gloves then maybe.  But if they aren't the sharpest tool and have just been given them by their manager, then I think they could do more harm than good.  Alcohol gel would be a better protection but it plays havoc with my delicate skin!  Luckily, I've been able to shut myself off from the world pretty well and have access to soap and water almost all the time.  When I do have to go out, I wash my hands thoroughly before leaving, go and do the thing I need to do as quickly as possible, come boack and wash my hands again.  While out I make sure to not touch anything unless I really have to.

The alcohol gel we had at work has ruined the skin on my hands.

They are starting to recover now I am at home and not using it but my hands are still dry from all of the hand washing. Even Liams "working hands" cream isn't helping!!

It's killed 21,577 so far.  But the really scary thing?  18,063 have happened in the last 20 days.  Anyone want to guess how many will die in the next 20 days?

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The alcohol gel we had at work has ruined the skin on my hands.

They are starting to recover now I am at home and not using it but my hands are still dry from all of the hand washing. Even Liams "working hands" cream isn't helping!!

diprobase.

8 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Alcohol gel would be a better protection but it plays havoc with my delicate skin! 

Where did you get THAT from?!!!

I've heard that vodka does a similar job. Seems a waste to drink it now I know that...

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

True, but this bug has just killed over 20,000 people and counting, we have no vaccine or cure for it, and unchecked it could kill millions.  That's the difference with this one.

Yes, these are not normal times, but the hygiene regime is similar. As you say, wearing gloves might result in an over confidence. I'd probably advise gloves, if you have broken skin on the hands. 

2 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Yes, these are not normal times, but the hygiene regime is similar. As you say, wearing gloves might result in an over confidence. I'd probably advise gloves, if you have broken skin on the hands. 

Not really an option for some of us who react to the latex in gloves and getting hold of the "sensitive" type is pretty difficult at the moment!

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

Not really an option for some of us who react to the latex in gloves and getting hold of the "sensitive" type is pretty difficult at the moment!

I guess it might be a case of some other kind of gloving or some other kind of barrier over any cuts. I've noticed with hand washing , the finger tips are becoming over sensitive. It's like sanding for long periods without protection. The fingertips tend to become thin and crack. Makes me wary of washing the hands too vigorously, or hard. 

23 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

You could wear latex gloves and refresh them with alcohol gel regularly.

22 minutes ago, Higgs said:

I had to use the motorway services last week, Have you ever tried washing your hands properly there, the water flows for about 5 seconds before you have to press the diryt tap top again. Next to imposible to do a proper job

latex gloves are not very robust. 

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

I had to use the motorway services last week, Have you ever tried washing your hands properly there, the water flows for about 5 seconds before you have to press the diryt tap top again. Next to imposible to do a proper job

I'm very fortunate, never use motorway service stations, though, I can understand what you say about those tap mechanisms.

28 minutes ago, Higgs said:

latex gloves are not very robust. 

I'm very fortunate, never use motorway service stations, though, I can understand what you say about those tap mechanisms.

And then having to use a pull handle to get out after you have washed your hands.

16 hours ago, WotEver said:

Yeah, my text said that, but that was yesterday. The email was about an hour ago. 

I am still being left out

I had to make a visit to my local hospital the other day and was surprised that all the doors and there are lots of them all needed pulling or pushing open so everyone had to grab a handle at some point. Even shops have automatic doors

13 hours ago, Trento said:

My marina's pump out station is on the main canal,  about 700 mtrs from the marina entrance on the offside.

Given that I have only a holding tank unit in the boat, soon, I will need to leave my berth and go to the pump out station.

I understand that the Coronavirus is not an airborne virus, onpassing is by contact, clothes, hair,  body fluids etc etc..

I'm single crew, so no trouble with self isolating, but....After I've used the PS and cleaned down the hose and handles, I have a further 1.5 mile trip to the nearest winding hole. A total of approx 4.5 miles round trip from the Marina berth.

I presume this is acceptable and in compliance with Boris's directives..

Q. If after using the PO, I missed the first winding hole and turn at the next available, this gives a round trip of approx 10-11 miles...If this is acceptable.and why should it not be.? . Then why not take a weekend cruise, ..and still be in compliance.. As indeed Lady G is suggesting. Different canals, different reasons, but same principle.

Essential movement is allowed. I would think that emptying the bog and filling up with water is essential. Is a weekend cruise essential?

Having said that, given the resources available, following the rules is a bit of an honesty box kind of thing. The chances of a few boats going a bit further than, “the rules allow”, being challenged, are pretty much slim to nil. Even if challenged, you would probably only be educated on the rules, and asked to return to where you came from.

I think it is for each of us to be responsible and follow the rules.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Where did you get THAT from?!!!

I've heard that vodka does a similar job. Seems a waste to drink it now I know that...

It seems that Vodka is only about 40% alcohol, so no use even if you use it neat....

you won’t be wasting it if you drink it, so I’d suggest you carry on as you were :) 

Things have changed, road and town really peacefull, all quiet in boatyard after my [not full on] hissy fit this a.m. Very little outdoor interaction

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

It seems that Vodka is only about 40% alcohol, so no use even if you use it neat....

you won’t be wasting it if you drink it, so I’d suggest you carry on as you were :) 

Correct, it would need to be some of that stuff produced in the USSR or elsewhere to get anywhere near the 60% minimum required to be effective as a hand sanitiser.

https://www.drinkfinder.co.uk/balkan-176-vodka-88-70cl.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpfHzBRCiARIsAHHzyZqYsK0-NpYfCrTnbuEmCjA_u6zCuPyLx8H84l_CWivNwOQwqJsXwDUaAig8EALw_wcB