Time to go

LadyG

Featured Posts

I am happy to condemn irresponsible actions in general in the current virus crisis, but I would not join in judging an individual case as seems to be happening here.  There may be factors that have not been accurately presented on this forum.

• Greenie 1

56 minutes ago, Chagall said:

So help them. Show them "how to control disease"   It sounds more like you dont really want to help, you just want to get away from others... cant blame you for that, but if you saw it coming, you perhaps needed to have silently shifted long before now.  (and give up the 'expert' tagline a bit, it's wearing really thin!)

I am showing by example, they have got the message today, but I ramped up last week. They are now offering to wear gloves if they need to help me, I think they decided I am not just eccentric.

can't control the disease,  I can prevent it spreading loacally, most importantly, not coming on board. Pointless "hoarding food" if you are sick.

?back l8ter

Edited by LadyG

Hillmorton Locks open still. I got back  2 hours ago and at least 4 boats passed my mooring...one hire boat ! and the rest  CCers I guess.

My view is that if you self-isolate and dont use locks then for CCers to move to water points etc. is fine. If they all have to congregate at one point it will be chaos as there wont be space so its fair play that some have to move to get services and take precautions.

Thinking of offering a place to breast up cos I got a home mooring and there would be space as there is so little traffic. I got water too but no sanny.

Maybe dig a pit latrine could be good idea.

45 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I am happy to condemn irresponsible actions in general in the current virus crisis, but I would not join in judging an individual case as seems to be happening here.  There may be factors that have not been accurately presented on this forum.

I am surprised at tbe reaction, online and in marina, if I leave marina and go and tie up a few miles away in isolation, how can that be condemmed?

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 2

35 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I am surprised at tbe reaction, online and in marina, if I leave marina and go and tie up a few miles away in isolation, how can that be condemmed?

It seems that CRT have pulled the plug on your plans. In their latest Boaters Update just over an hour ago they have called for all non-essential boating to cease, so it looks like you are stuck in Goole for at least three weeks or so.

Whatever I may think, please stay safe and the sooner we can all get back to normal the better.

Howard

19 minutes ago, howardang said:

Whatever I may think, please stay safe and the sooner we can all get back to normal the better.

Informed opinion seems to be about two years before the virus plays out due to us all being vaccinated. 

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Informed opinion seems to be about two years before the virus plays out due to us all being vaccinated. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised, by which time who knows what else may be in the pipeline!

Howard

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Thanks for the whatabouttery. I’m still disgusted. You should be ashamed of yourself. What is you me valid reason for this trip. It had better be good. 

To be fair Lady G is not a hobby Boater. The majority on here are hobby boaters that are locking down in a house with all its space etc. It's much harder on the confines of a boat and in the middle of nowhere I can see the appeal for her as a full time Boater. 

4 hours ago, Halsey said:

I'm not casting aspersions re any of the comments above BUT IMHO you need to satisfy YOURSELF that moving away from a marina base is the right thing to do.

.........….then identify a destination that allows you to survive if the rules change as they seem to have a habit of doing with very little notice.

I have a pal who is a very well travelled seasoned liveaboard/Cc'er and he has found a long pound with turning points at both ends and all the services he could possibly need on that pound for 6 months - his view, and he hates being controlled, is that peace of mind and knowledge of the environment in which you might get trapped is the most important thing to him at the moment

Its a shame that your first trip is under these circumstances but enjoy it and rest assured the weather will improve 

Keep safe

I'm astounded at the outrage, must admit was not thinking I was contravening any laws/guidelines.

This could go on for a year, by which time living in one place could be hell.

I had a practice on Monday, one day on my own in the boat was bad enough. In my opinion I will be safer out on the cut, which is better all round. I certainly won't be infecting anyone, so they should be pleased.

Edited by LadyG

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'm astounded at the outrage, must admit was not thinking I was contravening any laws/guidelines.

This could go on for a year, by which time living in one place could be hell.

I had a practice on Monday, one day on my own in the boat was bad enough. In my opinion I will be safer out on the cut, which is better all round.

Good Luck!  if you cant survive for one day alone on your boat you really are going to need some luck with that out on the cut, even if you think you are disease free.  ... and of course good luck with all the work you want to do on the boat...out there on the cut.  Take Care. 

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I had a practice on Monday, one day on my own in the boat was bad enough

In what way?

Unplug from the shoreline and do a week still on your berth.  It really is going to be a vastly different experience out in the wilds, and you are much better off finding out about it where you are currently moored.  If it's too much of a struggle, for either yourself or your boat systems, then you can plug back in.

If that works, try a week or a fortnight outside the marina, a mile or so up the way.  Different again, and harder to get perishables.

It's a very different plan to the original "Stuff all y'all I'm going to Ripon!" one, and splits the difference between looking like you don't care what anyone else thinks and the "stuck in a marina" itchy feet.  My record is 3 days in a marina by the way, and one of them was on the hardstanding!

• Greenie 2

These things are not clear cut.  If a boater can move themselves from a place where there is some risk to a place where there is no risk then, on average, that is good for everybody.

Trouble is,  all the Londoners who are moving to North Wales and Cornwall are thinking the same way.

................Dave

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Unplug from the shoreline and do a week still on your berth.  It really is going to be a vastly different experience out in the wilds, and you are much better off finding out about it where you are currently moored.  If it's too much of a struggle, for either yourself or your boat systems, then you can plug back in.

If that works, try a week or a fortnight outside the marina, a mile or so up the way.  Different again, and harder to get perishables.

Sometimes the most excellent advice is blindingly obvious... but only after someone has said it!

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

These things are not clear cut.  If a boater can move themselves from a place where there is some risk to a place where there is no risk then, on average, that is good for everybody.

Sadly no it isn't. The boater in a place with 'some risk' 'may' be transferring some virus load to the 'no risk' place if they move. 

This is why we are being exhorted not to travel unless the journey is 'essential' (whatever that means).

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, dmr said:

................Dave

Trouble being Dave, this is not an experienced boater and not exactly the best time to be trying to find it. The biscuit has the best advice so far. 

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Sometimes the most excellent advice is blindingly obvious... but only after someone has said it!

Sadly no it isn't. The boater in a place with 'some risk' 'may' be transferring some virus load to the 'no risk' place if they move. 

This is why we are being exhorted not to travel unless the journey is 'essential' (whatever that means).

If she is going into the wilderness to be alone and with good supplies, then its not a big risk or problem, not like a load of Londoners all descending on a little Cornish shop.,   But, this could easily be a 12 or even 24 month problem and you need a very big boat to carry supplies for that long.

.............Dave

5 minutes ago, Chagall said:

Trouble being Dave, this is not an experienced boater and not exactly the best time to be trying to find it. The biscuit has the best advice so far. 

Yes, I was making a general point rather than one specific to this case. We have thought quite hard about the pros and cons of moving to a more remote spot, but circumstance forced us to stay put. Heard today that a LOT of people have chosen to go towpath walking at our proposed remote spot so a good decision.

...............Dave