Time to go

LadyG

Featured Posts

Crt website is quite clear on what boat movements are currently permitted. Everyone's plans are having to change. We planned to spend summer out cruising but not now possible. People everywhere making sacrifices and if that means having to stay in your marina that is surely what is needed.. Just take care to keep 2 m distance in my view.. Quite easy to keep safe in boat I would imagine. 

• Greenie 1

Was it necessary to call the emergency number when it’s not actually an emergency? It might feel like one but is it really? Stay put, don’t venture out unnecessarily and keep a distance when you do (which is only when essential or for exercise). From reports being on the towpath would be even more hazardous and stressful. 

3 minutes ago, Joe Bourke said:

I am in the same marina,  as pictured.  At a guess there must be about 200 boats of all descriptions and maybe about 20/25 liveaboard boats scattered around.  I know LadyG and almost every other liveaboard.  This is the best marina i have ever moored in and I've been in a few.  Of course as in all marinas there can be strife between neighbours but things have got pretty bad in that particular corner of the yard.  It seems to me they never really hit it off from the start, and has continued to deteriorate.  It could have been so different.  Yes there are one or two rough diamonds as in any yard but believe me they would do anything for you if in a fix,  if approached in the right way.  

I personally haven't seen any particular contravention of the social distancing rules but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened, and in fact I did notice how they were ' socializing at a distance' in the sunshine yesterday.  Narrowboats moored stern to bank and only 2ft between means that things could be awkward at times especially at this time.  

The owner of the Marina would I'm certain step in if approached and try and move you to another berth, perhaps at the office end of the yard.  I'm sure someone would do a swap, you've got a good mooring there.

As for leaving the yard due to all this, wouldn't you be acting a little prematurely.  Are you ready to go "self sufficient" ?

Anyway I've rambled on long enough.  My advice, chill, at least for now.  If you don't you will go bananas in a marina surrounded by people you're not getting on with.

IMG_0360_1.JPG

Thank you for that more balanced view.
I suspect the words at the end of your first paragraph are very apt, and hasn't been done.

Correct joe, I ask people politely and they just carry on, so that's where we are now. 

I really don't like being lied to, and set up, so this week rather than letting it go, I've had a go at them in return. Obviously they don't like it. Marina living is not for me. But I won't have anyone assaulting me, or effing and blinding, it's not acceptable.

I have been gearing up for a trip out, but missed the window of opportunity, and that was extremely annoying, not being able to contact the CRT.

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Correct joe, I ask people politely and they just carry on, so that's where we are now. 

I really don't like being lied to, and set up, so this week rather than letting it go, I've had a go at them in return. Obviously they don't like it. Marina living is not for me. But I won't have anyone assaulting me, or effing and blinding, it's not acceptable.

I have been gearing up for a trip out, but missed the window of opportunity, and that was extremely annoying, not being able to contact the CRT.

You really do seem to be having a run of bad luck.

When you were selling your house didn't you have a series of 'workmen' turn up and then disappear never to be seen again.

House buyers who came and complained about the condition of the house, viewed and never contacted you again.

Problems getting anyone to come and work on your boat.

Falling out with your adjacent moorers.

And now, C&RT won't return your calls.

If you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all.

1 hour ago, Ianws said:

Was it necessary to call the emergency number when it’s not actually an emergency? It might feel like one but is it really? Stay put, don’t venture out unnecessarily and keep a distance when you do (which is only when essential or for exercise). From reports being on the towpath would be even more hazardous and stressful. 

I explained, I had tried nearly every day since a week on Friday. The call centre did not have a local number, I tried at least three of the staff with same query, no number, they don't ask CRT to return calls.

I could not find a local number. Ten days ago I had a simple query about a VM mooring which I would not expect a call centre to even understand, but they wanted all the details then said they could not help.

I was being told all different stories, about the local situation, most of it untrue.

I used the emergency number[it's the call centre], for clarification, but told them it was not an emergency. I got a number , went to voicemail, then someone selling a mooring, then someone who had some knowledge rang me, we agreed a solution then next day they changed their mind, I think for good reason, but they agreed to help, it kinda is their job.

I 'll have to stay here, but I am fed up getting pumped for information [I've little doubt they are reading this]. Some of them are fine, but I would rather pay to get a job done properly than wait four months for three batteries to be installed for example, chasing them up week after week, most of the electricians were not really up to the job but if they don't want a job or can't do it, all they need do is say, in the end I found my own people, difficult to find good ones, but they are out there.

Edited by LadyG

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You really do seem to be having a run of bad luck.

When you were selling your house didn't you have a series of 'workmen' turn up and then disappear never to be seen again.

House buyers who came and complained about the condition of the house, viewed and never contacted you again.

Problems getting anyone to come and work on your boat.

Falling out with your adjacent moorers.

And now, C&RT won't return your calls.

If you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all.

Funny isn't it how some people have nothing but bad luck.

Perhaps they need to have a good long hard look in the mirror. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I had a simple query about a VM mooring

Surely, as a liveaboard, you need a residential mooring, not a 14 days Visitors Mooring (VM) unless you are planning on CCing, if you are CCing you don't have a VM 'allocated' to you,  you just arrive, if there is a space you tie up, and (normally) move on after the mooring time limit (somewhere between 2 hours to 14 days).

Obviously the time limits are 'on hold' at the moment but I would still suggest that you cannot book and be allocated a VM.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I explained, I had tried nearly every day since a week on Friday. The call centre did not have a local number, I tried at least three of the staff with same query, no number, they don't ask CRT to return calls.

I could not find a local number. I had a simple query about a VM mooring which I would not expect a call centre to even understand, but they wanted all the details then said they could not help.

I was being told all different stories, so I used the emergency number[it's the call centre], but told them it was not an emergency. I got a number , went to voicemail, then someone selling a mooring, then someone who had some knowledge, we agreed a solution then next day they changed their mind.

Have you seen the news at all in the last month?

Do you really think you are more important than the lives of the CRT staff?

• Greenie 3

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I could not find a local number. I had a simple query about a VM mooring which I would not expect a call centre to even understand, but they wanted all the details then said they could not help.

I was being told all different stories, so I used the emergency number[it's the call centre], but told them it was not an emergency. I got a number , went to voicemail, then someone selling a mooring, then someone who had some knowledge, we agreed a solution then next day they changed their mind.

If ever there was a request that should have been emailed, this was it.

Harassing the day-to-day call centres is stupid.  Calling the emergency number (some of which is covered by the ambulance services, or at least used to be) when they are fielding a fast growing number of emergency medical calls is so far out of order I don't have words for it.

• Greenie 3

41 minutes ago, Joe Bourke said:

I am in the same marina,  as pictured.  At a guess there must be about 200 boats of all descriptions and maybe about 20/25 liveaboard boats scattered around.  I know LadyG and almost every other liveaboard.  This is the best marina i have ever moored in and I've been in a few.  Of course as in all marinas there can be strife between neighbours but things have got pretty bad in that particular corner of the yard.  It seems to me they never really hit it off from the start, and has continued to deteriorate.  It could have been so different.  Yes there are one or two rough diamonds as in any yard but believe me they would do anything for you if in a fix,  if approached in the right way.  

I personally haven't seen any particular contravention of the social distancing rules but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened, and in fact I did notice how they were ' socializing at a distance' in the sunshine yesterday.  Narrowboats moored stern to bank and only 2ft between means that things could be awkward at times especially at this time.  

The owner of the Marina would I'm certain step in if approached and try and move you to another berth, perhaps at the office end of the yard.  I'm sure someone would do a swap, you've got a good mooring there.

As for leaving the yard due to all this, wouldn't you be acting a little prematurely.  Are you ready to go "self sufficient" ?

Anyway I've rambled on long enough.  My advice, chill, at least for now.  If you don't you will go bananas in a marina surrounded by people you're not getting on with.

IMG_0360_1.JPG

I know that our friens who moored there with their boat Nitty Gritty really enjoyed it there. 

We couldn't get a mooring there for love nor money, it is obviously very popular. 

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Harassing the day-to-day call centres is stupid.  Calling the emergency number (some of which is covered by the ambulance services, or at least used to be) when they are fielding a fast growing number of emergency medical calls is so far out of order I don't have words for it.

I have a word.

Moronic. 

42 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I have been gearing up for a trip out, but missed the window of opportunity, and that was extremely annoying, not being able to contact the CRT

I'm sure the office would help sort this out if told.

37 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I could not find a local number. Ten days ago I had a simple query about a VM mooring which I would not expect a call centre to even understand, but they wanted all the details then said they could not help.

I was being told all different stories, about the local situation, most of it untrue.

I used the emergency number[it's the call centre], for clarification, but told them it was not an emergency. I got a number , went to voicemail, then someone selling a mooring, then someone who had some knowledge rang me, we agreed a solution then next day they changed their mind, I think for good reason, but they agreed to help, it kinda is their job.

I 'll have to stay here, but I am fed up getting pumped for information [I've little doubt they are reading this]. Some of them are fine, but I would rather pay to get a job done properly by than wait four months for three batteries to be installed, for example, chasing them up week after week, most of the electricians were not really up to the job but if they don't want a job, no need to bother, in the end I found my own people, difficult to find good ones, but they are out there.

It is difficult times for everyone and people are chasing their tails trying to catch up. My aunt’s medicine runs out next week. She is in her eighties and wants me to collect it. I can’t get through to the pharmacy to arrange what needs to happen but understand they are probably quite busy at the moment. Things have changed and unless it’s an immediate emergency don’t expect immediate responses, even then you might need to wait more than usual. Things are changing on a daily basis and it’s hard for people to give an accurate position on anything at the moment.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I 'll have to stay here, but I am fed up getting pumped for information [I've little doubt they are reading this]. Some of them are fine, but I would rather pay to get a job done properly than wait four months for three batteries to be installed for example, chasing them up week after week, most of the electricians were not really up to the job but if they don't want a job or can't do it, all they need do is say, in the end I found my own people, difficult to find good ones, but they are out there.

Hang on in there Lady G.

When you are out of the marina, all will be ok.

Hell is other people!  ;)

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Hang on in there Lady G.

When you are out of the marina, all will be ok.

Hell is other people!  ;)

Pretty sure other people exist on the towpath.

In fact there are probably more of the little blighters than there are in a marina.

37 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Wanna bet??

Carry on. You prove  the point admirally.

40 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Pretty sure other people exist on the towpath.

In fact there are probably more of the little blighters than there are in a marina.

On  the 'path, you  can move away if needed however.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Surely, as a liveaboard, you need a residential mooring, not a 14 days Visitors Mooring (VM) unless you are planning on CCing, if you are CCing you don't have a VM 'allocated' to you,  you just arrive, if there is a space you tie up, and (normally) move on after the mooring time limit (somewhere between 2 hours to 14 days).

Obviously the time limits are 'on hold' at the moment but I would still suggest that you cannot book and be allocated a VM.

I wanted to pop on to a VM to get sorted, then start a wee cruise, I would have been someone with a home mooring. I wanted to clarify, VM/Winter Mooring and so on, before I went outside, cos I was not confident of returning to my berth singlehanded without having quite a lot of practice.

Anyways it all went t'ts up.

The goalposts moved.

Edited by LadyG

12 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Carry on. You prove  the point admirally.

On  the 'path, you  can move away if needed however.

To where. Pretty much all of the A&C moorings are towpath moorings or require going through a manned (or not at the minute) lock to escape society!

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I wanted to pop on to a VM to get sorted, then start a wee cruise, I would have been someone with a home mooring, anyways it all went t'ts up.

A VM on the towpath?

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

A VM on the towpath?

There maybe a perception that the towpath is a VM, when as we know a VM is a specific part of the towpath which is (normally) provided with rings or bollards and dredged to the bank side.

As Jo has not experienced the Canals yet she may be unaware of the difference between mooring on the towpath (for 14 days), and mooring on a VM (for between 2 hours and 14 days depending on restrictions)

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Well the call centre should tell me what to do, how am I suppose to know?

Look at the 'Emergency Numbers' they link to call centre. btw my email was never answered.

I've only ever called 999 once, that was when a guy was ready to die, very cold winter night, I tried Police, waited 12 mins and called ambulance as he was drifting ............ I was shivering too, as I had given him all my outer clothes. No nonsense about name, address etc, he was swaddled and off to hospital within five mins of my second 999. 

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Well the call centre should tell me what to do, how am I suppose to know?

The C&RT web site has a page about how to contact them at https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/contact-us  which you might find helpful. There is a lot to get to grips with for a new canal boater and the C&RT site often has the answers under their FAQ s. 

good luck!

haggis