Time to go

LadyG

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'm not prepared to stay here surrounded by fools.

Then you will do what you want to do, regardless.

You won’t be alone.... the Manchester Evening News showed a photo of cars in a jam trying to get to The Peak District today. Presumably, they believe that one period of exercise allows them to go for a long drive, to somewhere not “local”, and take their exercise.

14 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

You won’t be alone.... the Manchester Evening News showed a photo of cars in a jam trying to get to The Peak District today. Presumably, they believe that one period of exercise allows them to go for a long drive, to somewhere not “local”, and take their exercise.

One chap and his wife  went all the way from London to Scotland to stay in his holiday home and he was already showing symptoms or the virus  

11 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

The  last but one government advice was that going for a drive is fine, dunno if they have changed this in the most recent increase in lockdown. I confess we have sometimes been driving a few miles to walk the dog in the hills, its just so much safer than using the local park or towpath which can both be quite busy at times. The only important thing is to not go to the same place as everybody else ?.

We do try to combine the drive to the hills with an essential shop. Went via Pets at Home today to collect a lot of per-ordered dog food. The isolation procedures at the shop were well thought out and very strict, but noticed that the shop next door was almost business as usual.

(Pets at Home, doors closed, met at door, one of us allowed in to pay with card then sent out, man with protective gloves dragged box of food half way to car, then moved away for me to collect it.)

...................Dave

34 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Hardly the same thing, I will be alone except for execise and minimal shopping, at the moment I am only going to bins/shop/pharmacy, meanwhile close neighbours are just doing what they normally do.

Edited by LadyG

Could you move to another mooring within the marina away from the boat next door whose owners seem to be paying little regard to the corona instructions ?

haggis

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Hardly the same thing, I will be alone except for execise and minimal shopping, at the moment I am only going to bins/shop/pharmacy, meanwhile close neighbours are just doing what they normally do.

Which marina are you in - Viking or Goole Boathouse? Have you had a word with the manager who may be able to help.

Howard

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

I don't see CRT closing locks to commercial traffic.

Is there any  commercial traffic  passing through C&RT locks  between Goole and Ripon?

In any case its irrelevant as I am afraid you must stay where you are - except if you can be allowed to move to a different spot in the marina for better isolation. 

I went for a walk past Farndon  Marina after I finished working from home  (in Farndon) at 5pm. I could see from the footbridge over the marina entrance there were a few cars in the marina - more than I had expected to see so they must be liveaboards . No boats moving nor do I expect to see any.

A marina must be a good place to stay isolated . A shame you seem to be located near idiots .

My marina's pump out station is on the main canal,  about 700 mtrs from the marina entrance on the offside.

Given that I have only a holding tank unit in the boat, soon, I will need to leave my berth and go to the pump out station.

I understand that the Coronavirus is not an airborne virus, onpassing is by contact, clothes, hair,  body fluids etc etc..

I'm single crew, so no trouble with self isolating, but....After I've used the PS and cleaned down the hose and handles, I have a further 1.5 mile trip to the nearest winding hole. A total of approx 4.5 miles round trip from the Marina berth.

I presume this is acceptable and in compliance with Boris's directives..

Q. If after using the PO, I missed the first winding hole and turn at the next available, this gives a round trip of approx 10-11 miles...If this is acceptable.and why should it not be.? . Then why not take a weekend cruise, ..and still be in compliance.. As indeed Lady G is suggesting. Different canals, different reasons, but same principle.

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Could you move to another mooring within the marina away from the boat next door whose owners seem to be paying little regard to the corona instructions ?

haggis

I don't think so, probably they might pick up on this, but I won't be popular. I'm not one for complaining, lol

Edited by LadyG

25 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I didn't know that.  Do you have a reference for that please ?

I too have puzzled why c-19 is not airborne [ie carried on the wind like Foot and Mouth]. I can only think that it is too heavy, or that it does not have "hooks" to allow it to be carried on dust / moisture in the atmosphere. The other explanation being that it does, and we are not being told!

There seems no doubt it is aerosols "spraying" from infected people ending up infecting other people via the thin tissues of nose / eyes mouth. From what we are told, anyway.

Edited by LadyG

Many viruses (?viri), bacteria and animals do not survive drying out so only survive while moist in aerosoles, droplets or water. I assume CV is amongst them.

Just like boaters

Edited by nikvah
to prevent pedantry

7 minutes ago, nikvah said:

Many viruses (?viri), bacteria and animals do not survive drying out so only survive while moist in aerosoles, droplets or oceans. I assume CV is amongst them.

Another variable is the "load", health workers would expect to get a heavy load compared to man opening shop doors. That is a double whammy for nursing staff.

Edited by LadyG

It's started already, some#### left marina gates open this a.m, neighbour goes out to close them as a lorry trying to turn.

I told my neighbour off for mixing with everyone else yesterday. Aparently we all have to die some time.

I am just going out  to tape off the area in front of me so everyone gets my message.

UPDATE

I've had a bit of communication now, and there are no dogs running loose. I think it will might sink in that the hour's exercise does not mean wandering around sitting at each others table and chatting.

We have been very lucky in East Riding, very few cases, might be due to lack of commuting by public transport, no hugh airports , or luck.  Once it starts, it might escalate rapidly, let's hope not.

I still have had no notification from CRT about Aire and Calder.

IF you ring 111, Humberside you might expect to hang on for over an hour.

Off to B&Q for clamps.

Lidl for fresh meat and more gin.

Sunshine and roses, I will paint inside today, had enough conflict  assertiveness for one day.

10.30 and all in their boats, te he ?

Might be deciding to complain to owner about my hazzard tape!

Of course I will take it down if the behave properly. 

Edited by LadyG

9 hours ago, Trento said:

After I've used the PS and cleaned down the hose and handles, I have a further 1.5 mile trip to the nearest winding hole. A total of approx 4.5 miles round trip from the Marina berth.

As there is unlikely to be much traffic, can you not slowly reverse back 700mts ?

Or even 'walk-it' back (bow haul) you've got all day but it should take less than an hour.

9 hours ago, LadyG said:

I don't think so, probably they might pick up on this, but I won't be popular. I'm not one for complaining, lol

I would think your health/survival is more important than being popular with folk who are breaking the rules.

haggis

• Love 1

12 hours ago, LadyG said:

Bins are one of the things that everyone touches.

Be sure to wear gloves and wash your hands after using them.

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

I understood it was transmitted by air and by transmission from contact surfaces? 

There is some minimal airborne transmission, in that it can stay alive for short periods in airborne water droplets from coughs and sneezes (and theoretically their breath).  That's partly why we're being asked to keep 2 metres away.  The 2 metre thing is also a reasonable distance to make very sure that nobody accidentally touches you.  The most likely source of transmission is touching surfaces which have bee recently touched by others (recent can be up to 72 hours depending on the surface type).  This is why it's off crucial importance not to touch your eyes, mouth, nose or ears while you're out and to thoroughly wash your hands when you get in.  Obvious things to think of are door and gate handles, pin keypads, any kind of touch screen, anything which is passed to you - paper, coins etc.  When you do need to shop, think about the items you're picking up, which would benefit from wiping down when you get home, and then you wash your hands again.  This also applies to delivered items.

6 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Bins are one of the things that everyone touches.

Be sure to wear gloves and wash your hands after using them.

Be careful not to feel too secure about wearing gloves.  They absolutely will not help if you touch a contaminated surface while wearing them and then wipe your eye or mouth.  These sort of actions are often done instinctively without realising.  I've had to explain this to people who have said they aren't at risk because they're wearing gloves.

If you need to open the lid of a communal bin, a good idea is you use a tissue or piece of paper to open it with and then throw it in the bin when done.

• Greenie 2