Time to go

LadyG

Featured Posts

From the CRT guidance:  "We ask everyone to be considerate and make sure at least a minimal amount of essential movement is maintained to keep vital boater facilities and services accessible to those that need them."

This is the complete opposite of a minimal amount of essential movement.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

From the CRT guidance:  "We ask everyone to be considerate and make sure at least a minimal amount of essential movement is maintained to keep vital boater facilities and services accessible to those that need them."

This is the complete opposite of a minimal amount of essential movement.

Appalling standard of English - I take that to mean, go to the 'services' fill up / empty' and then move on. Don't hog the services keep them free for other to use.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Appalling standard of English - I take that to mean, go to the 'services' fill up / empty' and then move on. Don't hog the services keep them free for other to use.

I agree that it's badly written, but the intention is clear.  CRT are wanting people to do a minimal distance to avoid blocking service blocks, but no more.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

The plan is to find a nice countryside mooring

In extremis I can use pumpout

Do you mean pumpout into the countryside or canal?     

Edited by Chagall
...took out ambiguity of any unpleaseantness!
  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Chagall said:

Do you mean pumpout into the countryside or canal?     

My thoughts as well. Possibly a bit of a blackmail... (If I can't move then I'll poo in the cut...)

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Is she?  I thought she was in a marina currently, and has been since she bought her boat.

If she leaves the marina and goes CCing she might not be let back in!

ho ho ho

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Sorry to be harsh but this proposal is utterly selfish, I would have thought better from the OP.  Lots of us would love to go cruising but we aren't.  Non-essential travel has been ruled out by the government - this is quite clearly non-essential travel.  This is a classic case of entitlement and 'the rules don't apply to me'.  And you say you're an expert in disease control???  So let presume you already have the virus but don't know it - how do you propose to get yourself from Goole to Ripon without touching anything on the way or once you get there?  Using the excuse that we've been told to stay at home and therefore you can move about like this because your boat is your home is appaling pedantry.  You know damn well that's not what the advice means and you're using a technicality to try and dodge round the rules.  The 14 day rule has been relaxed for a reason - it's to try and prevent all non-essential boat movements, but allow boaters to still access vital services. 

People are dying because of selfish attitudes like yours.  I'm frankly disgusted.

Your not impressed then? 

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

I challenge anyone to find me, if I choose to hide. It's ridiculous, I happen to be expert in hygiene and disease control. I am in danger from other people, not vice versa.

If, as you say, you are an "expert" in hygiene and disease control, may I suggest that your attitude suggests that you definately need a refresher! And you also need to read and follow the rules that have been imposed on all of us for the common good. Watch the current video by medics whose message is "Stay at home!" and unless you are sillier than I suspect is the truth, you know that your home is your boat moored in Goole Marina.

Howard

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

noooooooooooooo, it;s all self operated locks, I can't stay here . I'm taking my home with me, Bugger Boris.

jo

Let's hope not everyone takes the same attitude as the isolation strategy will not work and many are doomed.

However, I don't think there is anything to stop you moving just now.  Living on your boat in a remote location if you have enough supplies etc. is a great short term tactic as long as you are not already infected.  Being isolated in an out of the way place may make it harder to get help is one thing to consider.

As long as you are happy with your own company. If so I wish you good luck and bon voyage!

Edited by churchward

With the expectation of severe restrictions coming in shortly, My wife Chris went to the boat yesterday afternoon to clear out any food, cleaning materials, bog rolls etc.   Just in time.  I don't think we would have any risk in going to the boat, as we moor on the offside in a long pound, and I had been half expecting we would go regularly for a break.  Even bought more coal on Saturday!

However whilst I don't think there would be any risk to myself (and I am very vulnerable) or others, the spirit of the latest restrictions means we will stay at home (although I have to go to the hospital this afternoon for one of my important regular scans).   I suppose I could say "sod the lot of you", and probably get away with it, but it's not a good example to set others.  Hopefully I can maintain my sanity in the house, but oh what would I give to go for a bit of boating; god knows what i will feel like in a few weeks time.

• Greenie 2

15 minutes ago, dor said:

With the expectation of severe restrictions coming in shortly, My wife Chris went to the boat yesterday afternoon to clear out any food, cleaning materials, bog rolls etc.   Just in time.  I don't think we would have any risk in going to the boat, as we moor on the offside in a long pound, and I had been half expecting we would go regularly for a break.  Even bought more coal on Saturday!

However whilst I don't think there would be any risk to myself (and I am very vulnerable) or others, the spirit of the latest restrictions means we will stay at home (although I have to go to the hospital this afternoon for one of my important regular scans).   I suppose I could say "sod the lot of you", and probably get away with it, but it's not a good example to set others.  Hopefully I can maintain my sanity in the house, but oh what would I give to go for a bit of boating; god knows what i will feel like in a few weeks time.

You will know better than anyone but I would have thought with your issues it is best you take all measures to stay away from others.  Good luck, stay safe.

I'm not casting aspersions re any of the comments above BUT IMHO you need to satisfy YOURSELF that moving away from a marina base is the right thing to do.

.........….then identify a destination that allows you to survive if the rules change as they seem to have a habit of doing with very little notice.

I have a pal who is a very well travelled seasoned liveaboard/Cc'er and he has found a long pound with turning points at both ends and all the services he could possibly need on that pound for 6 months - his view, and he hates being controlled, is that peace of mind and knowledge of the environment in which you might get trapped is the most important thing to him at the moment

Its a shame that your first trip is under these circumstances but enjoy it and rest assured the weather will improve 

Keep safe

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I've inserted the missing word for you.

Expressing opinions is fine. Personal insults to other members are not fine. Careful, gentlemen, please.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Expressing opinions is fine. Personal insults to other members are not fine. Careful, gentlemen, please.

I just stated a fact,  no names mentioned, could be anyone.