Time to go

LadyG

Featured Posts

"Trapped" in Marina in Goole, ready to go, first trip, can anyone advise on route / advisability of a trip to Ripon this week, I have 100 l diesel, enough food, and bog rolls for two weeks. 

jo

• Angry 1

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Stay trapped. Them’s the rools

Are them, er I mean they?

Jo is a cc'er. Her boat is her home, so she would be staying at home even if that home moved. I thought I had read elsewhere on CWDF that they were permitted to move.

10 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Stay trapped. Them’s the rools

noooooooooooooo, it;s all self operated locks, I can't stay here . I'm taking my home with me, Bugger Boris.

jo

Edited by LadyG
not literally!

Just be aware that getting locked on the wrong waterway without access to facilities is quite possible, and you will have no notice of it.

On the big Yorkshire waterways, all they need to do is click a switch in a control cabin and you could be stuck on the river for a while.

Edited by TheBiscuits

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It's all gonna stop without a doubt. 

I challenge anyone to find me, if I choose to hide. It's ridiculous, I happen to be expert in hygiene and disease control. I am in danger from other people, not vice versa.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Just be aware that getting locked on the wrong waterway without access to facilities is quit possible, and you will have no notice of it.

On the big Yorkshire waterways, all they need to do is click a switch in a control cabin and you could be stuck on the river for a while.

Who? 

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Who? 

TPTB 

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

Jo is a cc'er. Her boat is her home, so she would be staying at home even if that home moved. I thought I had read elsewhere on CWDF that they were permitted to move.

The lifting of the 14 day rule would seem to me to suggest otherwise. 

I can live in isolation with no support for four weeks, but better to live with support once a week.

10 minutes ago, WotEver said:

TPTB 

Probably to help Londoners and to cut CTC staffing locks etc

T=THEM as have

Power?

To

Be officious?

Edited by LadyG

8 minutes ago, WotEver said:

To me it suggests that cc'ers are not forced to move every fortnight rather than their not being allowed to. 

There is a nice long pound between Goole and the first lock, or movable bridge on either the Aire and Calder, or New Junction. Possible to go up there for a bit and scuttle back to Goole if necessary without being trapped. More isolated than being in Goole Marina. Most of the bank is deep crinkle cut piling, which is too deep for normal fenders to space you off. Also, if a big boat passes, the wash will rip out normal mooring pins, so you need to moor to something more substantial. If you can cope with deep crinkle cut piling, then fine. If not, then there are a number of mooring spots that let you moor with normal fenders and to rings, or bollards.

Jen

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

There is a nice long pound between Goole and the first lock, or movable bridge on either the Aire and Calder, or New Junction. Possible to go up there for a bit and scuttle back to Goole if necessary without being trapped. More isolated than being in Goole Marina. Most of the bank is deep crinkle cut piling, which is too deep for normal fenders to space you off. Also, if a big boat passes, the wash will rip out normal mooring pins, so you need to moor to something more substantial. If you can cope with deep crinkle cut piling, then fine. If not, then there are a number of mooring spots that let you moor with normal fenders and to rings, or bollards.

Jen

I like the sound of that, as long as can chill out

Extract from message from CRT - Richard Parry - just received by email:

'... we are asking leisure boaters to stop all non-essential travel. As a result, and to help those who live-aboard (along with those who would need to travel to their boat in order to move it) we are suspending the requirement to move every 14 days. The suspension will be kept under review in line with revised government guidance, applying initially until 14 April....'

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Is she?  I thought she was in a marina currently, and has been since she bought her boat.

If she leaves the marina and goes CCing she might not be let back in!

You could be right. I should have said "liveaboard".

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Have you not seen any of the stuff from the government then, it all seemed quite clear to me!

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

Have you not seen any of the stuff from the government then, it all seemed quite clear to me!

No, I have seen nothing from them pertaining to canal boats. I did read CART's communiqué which was posted on here earlier.

But I may hav ebeen mistaken in my assertion that Jp was a cc'er. If she is a permanent marina moorer then she may subject to different regulations.

11 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Yup- Caravans move but they are not allowed to be used, unless, you are on a residential 'plot'.

It is really inconsiderate to think 'I'll be all right and can move about, go back into the marina every couple of weeks for shopping / water / pump-out.

Our Marina manager's wife has 'got-it' so he is self isolating and the marina on shut-down but staff have to be retained for essential actions, (which includes opening the sea-lock twice a day to stop the moorings drying out and boats becoming damaged).

Apparently all of the coastal marinas around North Wales have been instructed to shut-down.

I presume the other areas will have been told to as well.

20191030_111350.jpg

20191030_110947.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

CRT's position is 'please avoid non-essential movement'. Which I'd take to mean 'please don't move unless you're about to run out of water, gas or diesel, or your toilet is about to overflow'. I must admit I was a bit concerned that marinas and boatyards would be forced to shut up shop by being considered as non-essential by some faceless person in Westminster who's never before stepped aboard a boat, but a quick call this morning to Aston Marina suggests they're still open for essential items. Hopefully others will be too.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, I have seen nothing from them pertaining to canal boats. I did read CART's communiqué which was posted on here earlier.

But I may hav ebeen mistaken in my assertion that Jp was a cc'er. If she is a permanent marina moorer then she may subject to different regulations.

You don’t need to see anything relating to canal boats.  The rules are the same for every person in the country, but it does seem that a lot of people are deciding that those rules do not apply to them.  It is all rather sad.

• Greenie 2

Just now, john6767 said:

You don’t need to see anything relating to canal boats.  The rules are the same for every person in the country, 

Well actually, I think one would need to. The rules require people to "stay at home" as much as possible. So is her boat considered to be her home, or is it the marina? If the former, she could move and still be at home; if the latter, she couldn't.

18 minutes ago, john6767 said:

You don’t need to see anything relating to canal boats.  The rules are the same for every person in the country, but it does seem that a lot of people are deciding that those rules do not apply to them.  It is all rather sad.

Which is precisely why we got to where we are this morning.

People do seem intent on trying to find ways around the rules or finding a way to interpret them in a way so that they do not apply to them.

(like the 'Nail technician' yesterday who tried to convince a head teacher that she was a 'key worker' so she could leave her kids at school.)

Edited by The Happy Nomad