2 week rule suspended.

lampini

Featured Posts

Coronavirus and boating update 

Hello Jane,

Following the most recent announcement from the Prime Minister regarding the UK’s response to the coronavirus crisis, we are asking leisure boaters to stop all non-essential travel. As a result, and to help those who live-aboard (along with those who would need to travel to their boat in order to move it) we are suspending the requirement to move every 14 days. The suspension will be kept under review in line with revised government guidance, applying initially until 14 April.

We ask everyone to be considerate and make sure at least a minimal amount of essential movement is maintained to keep vital boater facilities and services accessible to those that need them. We will continue to maintain boater facilities and pump out cards are available from our online shop. (We will be urgently reviewing the implications for face-to-face sale of pump out cards and facilities keys from our public offices). 

Please click here for the latest updates to our Frequently Asked Questions and up to date advice on where to get support.

Colleagues whose roles are critical to the safe management of the waterways, for example those managing water levels, those carrying out statutory inspections of canal structures, ensuring essential facilities for boaters are available etc will continue their day to day work. 

We will be doing whatever we can to support our customers and protect the waterways so we can return to enjoying them fully when the crisis is over. We will keep the situation under active review and update you in line with changing circumstances and guidance.

If you subscribe to Boaters' Update you already received this email yesterday evening but technical difficulties prevented us from adding all boat licence holders that we have a valid email address for. These have now been added so we apologise if you're receiving this email for the second time. 

Thank you for your patience and forbearance and please stay safe during these unprecedented times.

Richard Parry
Chief Executive
Canal & River Trust

Surely there's no need to panic if they are keeping the locks open? More of a worry for us are the amount of people going past the boat on the towpath. C&RT have asked people not to walk past boats but how many look at their site? Or take any notice anyway? We have been diving face first in to the hedge to avoid them as we have to let the dogs out still on a towpath too narrow to safely distance.

7 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

C&RT have asked people not to walk past boats but how many look at their site?

I'd imagine unless you have a boat, virtually zero, and even then.....

I'm amazed how many are out and about in our village, there's been a definite increase since yesterday.

20 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I'm amazed how many are out and about in our village, there's been a definite increase since yesterday.

Here it's quite peaceful. Every few minutes a car passes, and a tractor just clattered along the road. I mentioned to Mrs. Athy that this was how the village must have been 50 or 60 years ago.

1 hour ago, Rickent said:

There will now be a scramble to moor near elsan and water points.

Well. we won't be doing that. We'll go to the water point when we need to and probably do some shopping on the same trip then head off back to the countryside for another two weeks.

54 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

Surely there's no need to panic if they are keeping the locks open?

Since I have about 3 miles of water, bounded at one end by a lock too short for the boat, and at the other end by a manned lock, with a few miles beyond that, a flood-related stoppage now marked as "until further notice" I don't think I will be moving much!

Edited by David Mack

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Here it's quite peaceful. Every few minutes a car passes, and a tractor just clattered along the road. I mentioned to Mrs. Athy that this was how the village must have been 50 or 60 years ago.

Living between a pub, a Liberal Club and a Conservative Club we've really noticed the difference on an evening, especially the weekend just gone.

• Greenie 1