Wyvern Shipping Still Hiring Out Boats

Parahandy

Featured Posts

On 24/03/2020 at 19:19, Rose Narrowboats said:

For the record, we had five boats out prior to this weekend, all sent out before any boating restrictions or even pub closures were in place.

Two of those have now returned. A third (out since the beginning of February) was at Cropredy this morning and will be back by Thursday evening.

The remaining two are crewed by entirely unrelated couples from New Zealand who currently have nowhere else to go. As of this morning they are mulling over whether to return to base and live here for the next few months or hunker down where they are (one of which is a fair way north having already been out for a while), which will depend on the likelihood of continued availability of essential services where they are vs. how much grief they will get from people jumping to conclusions if they boat back.

I note that here today there are still a number of private boats moving too but no one complaining about that, and forgive me if this sounds bitter, but I expect there'll be a thread on here soon complaining that all the boatyards are shut and how dare we as we're an essential service, probably started by the same people who normally post advice on avoiding boatyards at all costs as they're too expensive. Rant over :)

Incidentally, if anyone needs fuel round here, I spoke with Rue at Armada Boat Hire this morning and he's going to stay open for fuel for the foreseeable, and if it gets to a point where he's unable to continue we'll pick up the baton.

What has happened to your New Zealanders, I take it they can't go home even if they want to?

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update re my holiday booking.

Great Rail Journeys have shut down their telephone system and  leave a message to email or look on their website. They have also stopped answering emails so it looks like they may be going broke. It also means that I can't pay them  the balance by card so they have manoeuvred the situation so they can claim I cancelled by not paying the balance on time so they can keep the deposit.

The insurance company (GoSure) just direct me to GRJ or my credit card company. They are all relying on small print that I now feel has become an unfair contract term. A usual its the ordinary people who get had over.

I just hope the canal companies behave in a more customer friendly way.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

The insurance company (GoSure) just direct me to GRJ or my credit card company.

So make a claim against the credit card issuer for both your holiday deposit AND the travel insurance.

You did pay it by credit card didn't you?

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

So make a claim against the credit card issuer for both your holiday deposit AND the travel insurance.

I did and hope that I can.The fact the GRJ contract states that if I do not pay the balance on time they will take that as cancellation makes me suspect that the CC company will reject the claim. If I am right about GRJ going broke then I bet my luck will mean it will not go public until after my "pay the balance" date so all concerned have plenty of wriggle and procrastinate room.

11 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

My children had booked flights to visit a friend in South America over Easter so have just lost a LOT of money. Looks like the Airline, the credit card company, and their insurance policy might all have the duty to pay so as you might expect each is delaying hoping one of the others picks up the bill. I fear they hope that the airline goes bust and they can then decide that it was the airline who should have paid.

................Dave

31 minutes ago, dmr said:

My children had booked flights to visit a friend in South America over Easter so have just lost a LOT of money. Looks like the Airline, the credit card company, and their insurance policy might all have the duty to pay so as you might expect each is delaying hoping one of the others picks up the bill. I fear they hope that the airline goes bust and they can then decide that it was the airline who should have paid.

................Dave

I fear there is rather too much of that going on at present and the government seem reluctant to knock heads together. In my case there is another finger in the pie in that there is also an ABTA or similar scheme. In fact GRJ's last email form over a week ago pointed out that this would protect me - How many Thomas Cook customers are still awaiting their money?

On 26/03/2020 at 12:08, ditchcrawler said:

What has happened to your New Zealanders, I take it they can't go home even if they want to?

They couldn't, but they have (in the last week) both now managed to get booked flights home. One boat will be back by then end of today, the other by next weekend.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

I fear there is rather too much of that going on at present and the government seem reluctant to knock heads together. In my case there is another finger in the pie in that there is also an ABTA or similar scheme. In fact GRJ's last email form over a week ago pointed out that this would protect me - How many Thomas Cook customers are still awaiting their money?

Tony you seem to be missing the point here.  Claim off your credit card, and let THEM worry about getting it back (if they can). 

You will have your money back at that point, and none of the aggravation.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Just an update re my holiday booking.

Great Rail Journeys have shut down their telephone system and  leave a message to email or look on their website. They have also stopped answering emails so it looks like they may be going broke. It also means that I can't pay them  the balance by card so they have manoeuvred the situation so they can claim I cancelled by not paying the balance on time so they can keep the deposit.

The insurance company (GoSure) just direct me to GRJ or my credit card company. They are all relying on small print that I now feel has become an unfair contract term. A usual its the ordinary people who get had over.

I just hope the canal companies behave in a more customer friendly way.

A friend of mine had his GRJ holiday cancelled, they carried his deposit forward to next year. I have a holiday booked with them and they are working from home so sometimes an email takes a couple of days to get a reply.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

A friend of mine had his GRJ holiday cancelled, they carried his deposit forward to next year. I have a holiday booked with them and they are working from home so sometimes an email takes a couple of days to get a reply.

Well, I simply can't make contact. I emailed and asked about altering my booking as per their website but so far no reply, still awaiting a reply to another one I sent a week ago.

Edited by Tony Brooks

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Well, I simply can't make contact. I emailed and asked about altering my booking as per their website but so far no reply, still awaiting a reply to another one I sent a week ago.

From the reply I received they the people answering don't seem to have all the information at hand so I don't know if they all have access to their full system.

Surprisingly had a hire boat come past us today, apparently a couple of Belgians who had hired 6 weeks ago now returning to base but presumably can't now get home. What a worry for them. Have also heard from a couple of English boating friends who are now stuck in France. Could be worse places but the lockdown there is of course much, much stricter than our rather looser one.

Being in excess of the vulnerable age, plus one or two other complications, as soon as the Government recommended no cruises for this group, P&O amended their cancellation policy which offered deferment at 125% of existing bookings, or partial cash refunds plus 125% of the balance. Almost as an afterthought 100%refundwas offered. Not knowing when we would be able to cruise again, and whether the plague would spare us, we opted for full refund. The application was acknowledged as accepted with refund within 45 days.

The excursions we had booked were subject to separate cancellations, and the website did not offer a bulk transaction. I cancelled the first one, and have had the credit, but the subsequent ones no longer react to the website, and a further advice indicates a 'problem' with the site which they are trying to resolve. Watch this space. 

Had an email from the marina last week saying recreational moorers were banned from the site and if there was anything we needed the marina staff to do then call them.  Had a high bilge water SMS today, not overly worried as the system is experimental and the sensor is a little temperamental but called the office today... no answer... sent an email... no answer...