Wyvern Shipping Still Hiring Out Boats

Parahandy

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

What you have to remember is that if a Hire Company cancels the holiday the hirer gets their money back. If the company messes about so the hirer obeys government orders/advice and cancels their holiday its the hirer that looses all their money.

Yes. Yesterday Kris Cruisers cancelled my Easter booking thank God. I'd received no communication from them about the virus situation until then. 

I'd been living in hope that the river conditions would allow me to get my money back but the red boards are disappearing fast...

60B4A3A5-613C-4BC0-99CC-FB0DD6DA5CAB.png.f017811aa74f2e69f6bd6ae1acd43b7c.png

Until Friday I could have cancelled the booking and received about £165 back better than nothing but I think I'd have stuck my neck out and hoped for them cancelling in the last two weeks.

I don't blame Kris Cruisers waiting until they were basically forced to cancel by the government and they could have hung on to see if any customers jumped first.

Hotel cancelled my non refundable booking too yesterday making that refundable.

The money is back in my account from my flights so I'm almost back to square one. 

A little sad that Easter will be spent alone on a small island off the west coast of Norway but worse things happen at sea.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

Parks are getting closed now as Anglian water have closed all their water parks and Northamptonshire County Council have closed their Country parks.

Abingdon Park has always been a favourite of mine , I suppose that will remain open . Its certainly going to be a strange sort of Summer and at this stage Summer is even hard to contemplate

18 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Abingdon Park has always been a favourite of mine , I suppose that will remain open . Its certainly going to be a strange sort of Summer and at this stage Summer is even hard to contemplate

Pitsford water is one of my favourite walking places but closed now.

7 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Pitsford water is one of my favourite walking places but closed now.

Lovely County Northamptonshire , even Northampton itself has managed to retain some of its heritage , contrasted with the disaster thats Luton , its quite impressive .

6 hours ago, Thinkingallowed said:

Hotel cancelled my non refundable booking too yesterday making that refundable.

I have a hotel booked on a non refundable basis, I am hang in there and not cancelling hoping they do the same for me.

Following the announcement from the Prime Minister (8.30pm, 23 March 2020) regarding the UK’s response to the coronavirus crisis, we are asking leisure boaters to stop all non-essential travel.  As a result, and to help those who live-aboard (along with those who would need to travel to their boat in order to move it) we are suspending the requirement to move every 14 days.

We are asking boaters to stop all non-essential travel on our waterways, with exception of accessing local facilities. The suspension will be kept under review in line with revised government guidance, applying initially until 14 April 2020. During this period you do not need to contact us to tell us you will be staying one location for more than 14 days.

We ask everyone to be considerate and make sure vital boater facilities and services accessible to those that need them. 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have a hotel booked on a non refundable basis, I am hang in there and not cancelling hoping they do the same for me.

We too had a booking for the end of April. But with Travelodge. It was booked ages ago on a saver rate which are normally non returnable or changeable at a cost.

Even before the tighter restrictions came in they were offering the chance to move the booking at no penalty. You only had to pay the difference in any actual cost of the room which in our case was a pound. Lots of businesses are waiving fees and charges to move bookings, have you asked your booking provider? I just altered my booking on line.

2 minutes ago, Balliol said:

.........but Prince Charles is at his holiday home........

And he got a test despite only having mild symptoms and is not in hospital.

One rule for one and another rule for the plebs.

20 hours ago, Bobbybass said:

Have you seen that they have found active virus on the Diamond Princess...17 days after the passengers left !.. Hire boats could still harbour this regardless of how much cleaning they do. 

Yes. A case of irresponsible, sensationalist reporting.

Fact 1. What they actually found was the RNA of the covid 19 virus.    That doesn't mean the virus was still active/active or capable of infection.   It would be surprising if they did not find the RNA of the virus on a ship that recently had lots of active infections aboard.

Fact 2. This was before the ship was disinfected.

The only possible value in this story was that they found traces in the cabins of people that were asymptomatic.   But we already know that now.   People not exhibiting any symptoms can be infected and shedding the virus. 

Detailed info below:

btw this guy's daily YT channel is a great resource of rational analysis on the ongoing situation, along with sensible advice.

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

We too had a booking for the end of April. But with Travelodge. It was booked ages ago on a saver rate which are normally non returnable or changeable at a cost.

Even before the tighter restrictions came in they were offering the chance to move the booking at no penalty. You only had to pay the difference in any actual cost of the room which in our case was a pound. Lots of businesses are waiving fees and charges to move bookings, have you asked your booking provider? I just altered my booking on line.

Are you sure about that Travelodge booking?

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

This was travelodge and they had already offered to allow the booking to be moved to later in the year. I was trying to think of a date and the email came through saying that the hotel was closed.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Are you sure about that Travelodge booking?

Yes. They have allowed us to rebook no problem. Assuming they re-open by the time we go of course, but if they haven't they will I am sure they will again.

I aint getting into the rights and wrongs of the decision to close and the subsequent consequences. I'm not in a position to throw the best part of £60 away by cancelling.

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Yes. They have allowed us to rebook no problem. Assuming they re-open by the time we go of course, but if they haven't they will I am sure they will again.

I aint getting into the rights and wrongs of the decision to close and the subsequent consequences. I'm not in a position to throw the best part of £60 away by cancelling.

Aren't you lucky, it looks like I will be throwing away over £500 or rather donating it to a company that presumably will get a government bail out. All because the government refuses to put a realistic time scale for travel restrictions.

Still rather throw it away than be taken to Europe and catch the virus.

At present the company is only cancelling up to 17th of April despite the government saying especially vulnerable people should stay in doors for 12 week - 3 months - so it seem they do not expect it to be all over by 17th April.

Edited by Tony Brooks

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Aren't you lucky, it looks like I will be throwing away over £500 or rather donating it to a company that presumably will get a government bail out. All because the government refuses to put a realistic time scale for travel restrictions.

At present the company is only cancelling up to 17th of April despite the government saying especially vulnerable people should stay in doors for 12 week - 3 months - so it seem they do not expect it to be all over by 17th April.

Im missing something here.

The FCO have advised no travel to any country.

That usually triggers being able to claim on travel insurance.

22 hours ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

For the record, we had five boats out prior to this weekend, all sent out before any boating restrictions or even pub closures were in place.

Two of those have now returned. A third (out since the beginning of February) was at Cropredy this morning and will be back by Thursday evening.

The remaining two are crewed by entirely unrelated couples from New Zealand who currently have nowhere else to go. As of this morning they are mulling over whether to return to base and live here for the next few months or hunker down where they are (one of which is a fair way north having already been out for a while), which will depend on the likelihood of continued availability of essential services where they are vs. how much grief they will get from people jumping to conclusions if they boat back.

I note that here today there are still a number of private boats moving too but no one complaining about that, and forgive me if this sounds bitter, but I expect there'll be a thread on here soon complaining that all the boatyards are shut and how dare we as we're an essential service, probably started by the same people who normally post advice on avoiding boatyards at all costs as they're too expensive. Rant over :)

Incidentally, if anyone needs fuel round here, I spoke with Rue at Armada Boat Hire this morning and he's going to stay open for fuel for the foreseeable, and if it gets to a point where he's unable to continue we'll pick up the baton.

We are all entitled to a rant now and again, this was hardly a rant more a perfectly justified and balanced response 

5 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Very much depends on the travel insurance.  We got “saved” a few weeks ago (seems like a lifetime) when the FCO advised against travel to Italy and our flight was cancelled and the airline are refunding the money.  Still not actually seen it though they say by the end of this week.

13 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Its all in the exact wording of the government. I think that you will find the FCO ruling only hold good for three weeks, unlike the especially vulnerable persons rules that hold good for 12 weeks ( I am only in the vulnerable category). The 12 weeks takes us to  the middle of our holiday. It seems  we are being softened up for ongoing waves of restrictions lasting for between 18 months and three years. This shoprt term FCO rulling and long term prognosis gives the holiday companies and the insurers an ideal get out if they want to use it. In just under two weeks I am due to pay the company the balance of over five grand so have to weigh up the dangers of doing so. I have been in touch with the company initially asking what they were doing about balance payment and their response was not in anyway reassuring. Basically it was pay up,  loose the deposit or talk to your insurers. I then pointed out what the government and experts have said, how the Olympics were on the verge of being cancelled, and asking for details of how they were going to ensure their customers would be kept safe for the virus. The reply to date has been silence. So it seems my choices are to pay up and hope the FCO ruling will be extended. This would risk close to 6 grand because if the advice were not kept in place I would be considered as cancelling myself by the company and the insurance. I am not willing to risk travelling through France Belgium, Holland and Germany in about 11 weeks time unless I get assurances about the protection to be provided.

So, the way the company is behaving makes me suspect they may be in financial trouble so there is a further risk of bankruptcy. As I am not willing to loose 5 grand in about 10 days time I will have to write to the company and refuse to pay the balance. they have made  it clear that they will consider this as  cancellation by myself  so no holiday insurance would pay out.

What would you do?

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Its all in the exact wording of the government. I think that you will find the FCO ruling only hold good for three weeks, unlike the especially vulnerable persons rules that hold good for 12 weeks ( I am only in the vulnerable category). The 12 weeks takes us to  the middle of our holiday. It seems  we are being softened up for ongoing waves of restrictions lasting for between 18 months and three years. This shoprt term FCO rulling and long term prognosis gives the holiday companies and the insurers an ideal get out if they want to use it. In just under two weeks I am due to pay the company the balance of over five grand so have to weigh up the dangers of doing so. I have been in touch with the company initially asking what they were doing about balance payment and their response was not in anyway reassuring. Basically it was pay up,  loose the deposit or talk to your insurers. I then pointed out what the government and experts have said, how the Olympics were on the verge of being cancelled, and asking for details of how they were going to ensure their customers would be kept safe for the virus. The reply to date has been silence. So it seems my choices are to pay up and hope the FCO ruling will be extended. This would risk close to 6 grand because if the advice were not kept in place I would be considered as cancelling myself by the company and the insurance. I am not willing to risk travelling through France Belgium, Holland and Germany in about 11 weeks time unless I get assurances about the protection to be provided.

So, the way the company is behaving makes me suspect they may be in financial trouble so there is a further risk of bankruptcy. As I am not willing to loose 5 grand in about 10 days time I will have to write to the company and refuse to pay the balance. they have made  it clear that they will consider this as  cancellation by myself  so no holiday insurance would pay out.

What would you do?

You seem to be mixing up the FCO travel advice and the 'rules' about staying at home and thre 'rules' about vulnerable people having to stay at home for 12 weeks.

I've not seen anything about the FCO travel advice only being in place for three weeks. Their travel advice was in place several days before the rules about staying at home.

Personally if it was me I would be talking to my insurers about getting the deposit back, which they should be paying out on and then cancelling.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

17 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Anything technical that involves calculations based on statistical events always gets politicians and many others quite confused. Mainly because they ask the question, "Can you be absolutely sure . . .?"

In this case, my understanding is that the economic implications of the current restrictions (aka 'lockdown') are seen as so great that the government is looking to impose them for as short a time as possible. Some of the media get it wrong when they say that this will happen once the number of cases/deaths each day stops rising - which it still is at the moment. However, at the point when the daily curve turns downwards we will still be at the peak rate of cases and this will go on for some time. Hence there is a need to estimate when the number of cases reaches a level that a less restricted regime will only generate as many severe cases as the NHS can cope with. There is also the political cost of headline numbers of deaths (which is said to be the factor that caused Boris (aka Dom) to change his approach) The 'good' news seems to be that the evidence from those countries hit first is that the decline is faster than the rise as severe social distancing cuts the rate of transmission.

So, there is likely to be a point at which politicians such as Trump and Boris, wedded to money-making over public safety - hence chlorinated chickens - will say , "We have beaten Covid-19" (or in Trump's case, "We have beaten the Chinese virus" :)) At that stage, however, there will still be a significant risk to those either likely to catch the viral disease or to have serious complications from it. So, if the political equation leads to some lifting of restrictions and social distancing, then it will still be advised that high risk people should continue with the regime, until there is an effective vaccine.

It is all about statistics!

As the statisticians and epidemiologists have been saying some a while, such a strategy may well lead to periodic re-imposition of restrictions in order to keep the load on the NHS within its limit.

This could well be the worst option: economic support for those badly effected will be withdrawn yet many businesses will not be able to re-instate their operation before another lockdown arrives. I am also concerned that the virus seems to be spreading outwards from the metropolitan centres ("London is ahead of the curve"). Will the government succumb to pressure from the money industry to release controls too soon, OK for London but a disaster for the more distant areas? But then, we don't count anyway, do we?

Edited by Mike Todd