Oak trim scarfing

LadyG

Featured Posts

You need 2 tools. An angle gauge and a 5 to 6 inch face sander. The gauge will allow you to bisect the angle in question, you then this transfer this angle to the sander and produce the exact angle. Can't produce links but you should be able to find both tools on line. The resulting joint, rather like a mitre will be perfect regardless of the actual angle.   

Edited by Slim

35 minutes ago, Slim said:

You need 2 tools. An angle gauge and a 5 to 6 inch face sander. The gauge will allow you to bisect the angle the measurement of which you transfer to the sander and produce the exact angle. Can't produce links but you should be able to find both tools on line. The resulting joint, rather like a mitre will be perfect regardless of the actual angle.   

Or at a push just use a mitre saw. A 45 degree joint will look better than a butt joint. 60 degrees is better but few mitre saws will go that far. 

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Or at a push just use a mitre saw. A 45 degree joint will look better than a butt joint. 60 degrees is better but few mitre saws will go that far. 

The trouble when fitting a boat out is that very few angles are the same, I know, I did my entire boat?. If it's just a few joints and you don't want to spend too much the absolute minimum you need is a FINE draw saw. It gives you much more control than the finest tooth dovetail saw for cutting mouldings. At the risk of going on I can look at all the mouldings on my boat 20 years on and not see a single joint line. 

14 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I think it is a mitre saw, cuts 45/135 not sure of extremes, will find out what a face sander is, or is it an ordinary sander?

I have a sort of flexible saw, fine scarf. 

Edited by LadyG

For 'face sander' try e bay under  'bench disc sander'. Parkside are coming up at about £50. I've seen them in Lidl /Aldi for less but luck of the draw. Mine is a combination face/linishing machine. It weighs a ton, go foer a Parkside version.

Really must find out how to do links, photos etc

55 minutes ago, Slim said:

Using stick on discs is a right faff. You can get a stick on Velcro pad (at least you can for 6 inch pads) then use Velcro backed discs . 

Hope they are better than the Velcro pad random orbital sander that someone recommended on here a year or two back. With that you only had to touch the disc on the paint to be sanded for a few seconds before the disc was flying off (into the canal as often as not), and after a few discs, the pad on the sander had lost so much Velcro material that discs would barely stick when stationary.

55 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Hope they are better than the Velcro pad random orbital sander that someone recommended on here a year or two back. With that you only had to touch the disc on the paint to be sanded for a few seconds before the disc was flying off (into the canal as often as not), and after a few discs, the pad on the sander had lost so much Velcro material that discs would barely stick when stationary.

Well, the pad on my face sander is a good 18 + years old and it's still good if little used these days. I had to replace the pad on my Bosch orbital sander a couple of years ago after about 13 years but that's been lent all around the family. Suspect the motors on the way out now.

22 hours ago, LadyG said:

I am puting oak trim around the boat, currently pine cr@p, butt joins are horrid, I'd like to scarf them for aesthetic reasons, any images/advice [skills limited], angle cutter available.

YouTube threw this at me yesterday - no idea why but search on 'How to create a scarf joint like a pro'. A bit of an advert and I'd need to watch it a few times more to understand a word of it but ..... ?

1 hour ago, Opener said:

YouTube threw this at me yesterday - no idea why but search on 'How to create a scarf joint like a pro'. A bit of an advert and I'd need to watch it a few times more to understand a word of it but ..... ?

That’s somewhat different - he’s talking about structural timbers. 

This little 1 minute vid shows a scarf made with a 45 degree mitre cut as I suggested earlier in the thread:

19 hours ago, WotEver said:

That’s somewhat different - he’s talking about structural timbers. 

Aaah! I assumed that 'scarf' referred to the partiklar compilkated joint he was making and would be transferrable to other sizes of timber/moulding. Wrong!!?  Just refers to end-to-end joining. Hey-ho!9

20 hours ago, Opener said:

In my mind it is the structural type, I've seen it on boats, proper wooden boats.

The one I am thinking about start at 90 degrees, the 60 then 90, and that is the face.

Edited by LadyG

31 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The one I am thinking about start at 90 degrees, the 60 then 90, and that is the face.

You don’t want that type on mouldings - you’d never succeed in getting it anywhere near clean. A simple angled joint as per that little vid I linked is all that you require. 

35 minutes ago, WotEver said:

You don’t want that type on mouldings - you’d never succeed in getting it anywhere near clean. A simple angled joint as per that little vid I linked is all that you require. 

I could do a simple 30/60 and pencill in two 90s ?

I have done it many a time with just four G c;lamps with packing to protect the wood. Over lap the two timbers and get a good fine saw and cut at the angle you want. Now i have a good miter saw that the way now.

40 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I could do a simple 30/60 and pencill in two 90s ?

What purpose do you suppose the 90 degree bits will achieve?  All they’ll do is make it look like a butt joint again - because that’s what the face will be. 

2 hours ago, W+T said:

I have done it many a time with just four G c;lamps with packing to protect the wood. Over lap the two timbers and get a good fine saw and cut at the angle you want. Now i have a good miter saw that the way now.

I have a mitre saw, just wanted something arty-crafty