What was the book/TV prog from the 60s/70s about children boating?

Andrew Denny

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Woo Hoo!  Another opportunity to rant about the wonderful actress Annette Robertson who married John Hurt.

It's been a few years since we last had this chance.

Only because he was under the mistaken belief she was pregnant!

• 9 months later...
On 23/03/2020 at 17:38, Alan de Enfield said:

Swallows & Amazons ? (But not on a canal)

1974 - Based on a Book from the '30s

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072233/

Wide of the mark I'm afraid.

Nothing at all to do with canals in Ransome's books - closest he got was rivers, and that was the Broads.

BUT - great stories none the less, I could devour one his stories in a day when I was a kid.

On 26/12/2020 at 12:55, The Happy Nomad said:

Wide of the mark I'm afraid.

Nothing at all to do with canals in Ransome's books - closest he got was rivers, and that was the Broads.

BUT - great stories none the less, I could devour one his stories in a day when I was a kid.

On 23/03/2020 at 19:38, Alan de Enfield said:

Swallows & Amazons ? (But not on a canal)

1974 - Based on a Book from the '30s

https://freebooksummary.com/before-we-were-free-chapter-5-summary-117352

I could be wrong, but this actor played young Tom Sawyer. Maybe this is his first role in a dramatic role. I recently re-read this story, but I have not found evidence of the existence of this motion picture

Can I claim some sort of special status? I actually appear in "Flower of Gloster" for about four seconds I am the scruffy individual walking along the towpath at Stoke Bruerne. The production crew used Pisces for the scene where the children pulled their broken down boat along the towpath. They used our boat because their boat had, ironicly, broken down and was moored above the Northern end of Blisworth Tunnel..

Edited to add:-  I have just dug out my copy of the series and my brief period of same is actually eight seconds  - Disc 2 "The Tunnel" episode between 16:10 and 16:18. As I said, I am the scruffy individual walking towards the boat, apparrently removing bits of roll up fag  from my mouth !!

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 2