Rust converter

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

So we should never try new products, what happens if the makers of Vactan go out of business

I'd probably give Fertan a go :) if someone else didn't take advantage of the gap in the market for Vactan, by another name.

53 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I'd probably give Fertan a go :) if someone else didn't take advantage of the gap in the market for Vactan, by another name.

I think they do. Look in car shops at the DIY rust neutralisers. I think Kurust is so similar to Vactan it may come out of the same drum but its available in smaller packages.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Fertan is very, very different.

Yes....

1 hour ago, SusieC said:

What’s the difference between Vactan and Fertan

I will be using it for external spots on the topisides around windows

You allow Vactan to dry, and it can be used as a primer.

Fertan has to be washed off, then the water dried off, before applying any paint coatings. Sounds like a right faff! :) 

There may be other differences, but IIRC the above difference was what made me plump for Vactan.

17 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Fertan has to be washed off, then the water dried off, before applying any paint coatings. Sounds like a right faff! :) 

Its worse than that, you have to get the timing right too IIRC. 

Wash it off after no less than 24 hrs and no more than 48, or something like that. 

Couldn't get a shine with that polish. Its expensive, Vactan is cheaper, around £15 a litre delivered if you shop around. Will we still get stuff delivered?

"I've found the bitch and just locked it in my coal shed with food and water, I intend getting a good night's sleep, nighty nite!"

Edited by Tracy D'arth
added more

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Its worse than that, you have to get the timing right too IIRC. 

Wash it off after no less than 24 hrs and no more than 48, or something like that. 

Vactan is a rust converter and primer in one. Fertan is a rust converter. The advantage of Vactan is you dont have the extra day to wash off the fertan but the disadvantage is that it is then a 'compromise' as the stuff is doing two jobs. The compromise is that the Vactan is more viscous (as it has to act as a primer coating) so it is not the best at wetting out the rust. Fertan is thinner and wets out the rust better so will theoretically stabilise it better. What is certain is that if you can accept the extra days work washing and drying then you can put a better primer on once the Fertan has done its job.

Which is better. Dunno! I have only ever used fertan and thinks it works as well as can be expected as long as you make sure its dry before priming which is not always easy at the bottom of engine 'oles or gas lockers.

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I can see him galloping over the hill now, on his hobby horse....

Here he comes, over the hill...

Far away but getting slowly closer...

Just a dot but getting bigger...

He’s coming now...

Closer still...

He waves...

I wave back...

Getting closer now...

oh...

... it’s not him.