COVID-19: An update from the Canal & River Trust

Ray T

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, reg said:

Basically social distance is one narrowboat wide

If they are wearing a mask I try for one widebeam

The wearing of masks in no way indicates that comeone has covid-19, but merely that they are taking precautions. In fact if they are wearing a mask (assuming it's FFP3 and a good fit) then you don't need to go further away from them because if they are infected and wearing a mask they are less likely to spread it to you than someone who is infected but isn't wearing a mask.

Edited by blackrose

26 minutes ago, blackrose said:

The wearing of masks in no way indicates that comeone has covid-19, but merely that they are taking precautions. In fact if they are wearing a mask (assuming it's FFP3 and a good fit) then you don't need to go further away from them because if they are infected and wearing a mask they are less likely to spread it to you than someone who is infected but isn't wearing a mask.

Correct. The first part of my post roughly stands up whilst for the second part I did say " I try". 

I get the automatic stoppage notices from CaRT for my local waterways in S Yorkshire. Had updates today for those locks that have assisted passage from CaRT employees, like the Tinsley flight (usual practice) and Aldwarke lock (after the boaters downstream access pontoon was swept away and destroyed in the November flood). I don't know if this is just this region, or on all the system.

Jen

Update on 30/03/2020:

Please note that from Monday 30 March, unless there is an emergency or boaters require passage for one of the reasons below, all our employee-operated locks, bridges and tunnels will be closed.

• To access water or waste facilities
  • To access essential food and supplies
  • To access urgent medical treatment
  • For emergency mechanical service for your boat
  • For emergency vet treatment for your pet

1 hour ago, dave7497 said:

Notices posted by CRT regarding coronavirus seem to imply that boaters are more likely to have the virus, maybe this should be clarified

Good point. I find the rest of this CRT update gives a confusing message when read alongside the recent CRT posters. The term local means different things to Different people for some it could mean their local 10 mile stretch. 

3 hours ago, reg said:

Basically social distance is one narrowboat wide

If they are wearing a mask I try for one widebeam

The people wearing masks are usually the best informed regarding risk.

It is widely known amongst the statisticians that mask-wearing affords the mask wearer little protection against catching it, but a LOT of protection against the mask-wearer infecting others.

This is a particular risk with C-19 as the incubation period before symptoms show up is 5 days approx, during which time the person is infectious.

58 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The people wearing masks are usually the best informed regarding risk.

It is widely known amongst the statisticians that mask-wearing affords the mask wearer little protection against catching it, but a LOT of protection against the mask-wearer infecting others.

This is a particular risk with C-19 as the incubation period before symptoms show up is 5 days approx, during which time the person is infectious.

I dont think that is why most of them are wearing them

• 3 weeks later...

Press Release.

Didn't receive it 'till today as my eMail account had crashed.

16 April 2020

CORONAVIRUS UPDATE FROM THE CANAL & RIVER TRUST: GUIDANCE FOR BOATERS

With Government today (16 April 2020) extending the Coronavirus lockdown period to 9 May 2020, the Canal & River Trust is accordingly extending the suspension of the normal requirement for boats to move every 14 days to 9 May.  During this period, boaters do not need to contact us to tell us they will be staying in one location for more than 14 days.

Boaters who are not currently occupying their boat must not visit or take short trips or breaks on their boat at this time.  Those living aboard are strongly advised to limit their navigation, moving only a minimal amount to access essential facilities or services when necessary – or to move along to a quieter mooring if they are finding the towpath too busy for them where they are.

We ask everyone to be considerate and make sure that vital boater facilities and services are accessible to all those that need them. 

We will be doing whatever we can to support our customers and protect the waterways so we can return to enjoying them fully when the crisis is over – including continuing to maintain essential boater facilities, with pump out cards available from our online shop, and waste collection etc.

We will keep the situation under active review and update you in line with changing circumstances and Government guidance.

Ends

Fran Read

National press officer

I work Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays

M  07796 610 427

E  fran.read@canalrivertrustorg.uk