Lockdown !!!

Jenno

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

We're liveaboard CCers with no other abode.  We're moored at the moment on the link at Lapworth. As this pound has three water/Elsan locations (Hatton, Lapworth and Knowle) and reasonable moorings, I think we may defer our planned transit of Birmingham for a few days and await developments.

MP.

We too are live aboard ccers and have moved this morning to just above Aston Lock so that if the worst happens and C&RT lock the locks, we are the right side of services. This thread made us think about doing the sensible thing, thanks CWF!

Edited by wandering snail
  • Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:

The UK govt strategy is more dynamic than our continental counterparts, responding to the situation as and when required. On one level that seems like a more reasonable approach than the blanket measures adopted abroad. The only problem is that it means we're always slightly behind the curve of doing what we need to do as it's a reactive approach.

I think that many individualistic Brits are less likely to take kindly to rules being imposed upon them. Some will be complaining about loss of civil liberties no doubt (and the conspiracy theorist nuts will be telling us it's a govt power grab). My own view it's that when it comes to matters of life and death civil liberties have to take a back seat.

Screenshot_20200323-120621~2.png

Italy 08-March 366.    UK 22-March 281.  A tiny glimmer of hope as our total drops substantially below Italy's equivalent yesterday.  Probably a blip but we can hope.

15 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

All Castle Marinas will be going into lockdown later today. Residents will of course be allowed access to their boats, but in all other respects they will be closed; leisure boaters will not be allowed to visit their boats for any reason, including to work on them. Marina staff will attend to any boat that has a problem, and may be prepared to collect essential items that the owner needs. An email will be sent to holders this afternoon with further details. Source of this info, verbally from the marina manager (at a safe distance)

What about services for passing, non customer, boats?

Just now, doratheexplorer said:

Italy 08-March 366.    UK 22-March 281.  A tiny glimmer of hope as our total drops substantially below Italy's equivalent yesterday.  Probably a blip but we can hope.

Yes there might be demographic or behavioural factors that make the rate of increase in the UK different to Italy's. Either better or worse  We shall see.

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

What about services for passing, non customer, boats?

Pretty unlikely I would think.  In your position, I'd be relying on CRT services only, and doing as other's have suggested - moor on a pound which has elsan, water, bins and hunker down for the long haul.  Treat it like being iced in for 4 months.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Why not use the pump out until its full, you may be able to get a pump out by then

We did think about that, but, we would rather have a choice of comfortable pump out loo or squat portaloo. We also believe our movement, boat!!!, is going to be restricted. Therefore no pump out availability. It marinas are going into shutdown then what? 

Edited by Nightwatch

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

Pretty unlikely I would think.  In your position, I'd be relying on CRT services only, and doing as other's have suggested - moor on a pound which has elsan, water, bins and hunker down for the long haul.  Treat it like being iced in for 4 months.

We are. Just asking for a friend!

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Bobbybass said:

I heard ( ?) That the Flemish canals and the French canals are closed to all but non commercial traffic 

This sounds unlikely.

Edited by Athy

43 minutes ago, KenK said:

The Belgian and French canals have been closed to all non-commercial traffic

This sounds more likely than the news which I quote din post 85. Here we have two diametrically opposed pieces of news; which is right?

Edited by Athy

While the epidemic of Coronavirus plunges the country into an unprecedented crisis, in the continuity of the measures taken by the President of the Republic and the Government, Voies navigables de France is implementing several exceptional measures.

Regarding yachting:

Tourist and recreational boating is suspended at this stage until April 20.
The date is subject to change depending on the evolution of the crisis situation currently encountered by France.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

That's a good spot.  I'd stay put if I were you.  The only downside is the shop down in the village is rubbish.  You might have a fair long walk to get any decent food in.

There's a Tesco Metro in Knowle. It was stripped bare on Saturday afternoon, but should eventually be restocked. There's also a decent village shop in Shrewley.

MP.

41 minutes ago, Athy said:

This sounds more likely than the news which I quote din post 85. Here we have two diametrically opposed pieces of news; which is right?

Our boat is moored in Ghent and we are in touch with the Belgian authorities so that information is accurate. French canals which carry commercial traffic remain open but only to commercial boats, the rest are closed. DBA website forum is posting information for each country as it becomes available.

The rivers and canals have heavy commercial use so the waterways are still open for them.

Also the few locks that exist are operated remotely by lock keepers, bridges that need lifting also remotely operated.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

There's a Tesco Metro in Knowle. It was stripped bare on Saturday afternoon, but should eventually be restocked. There's also a decent village shop in Shrewley.

MP.

Crikey!  That's a nearly 10 mile round trip.  If you're walking it, I hope you don't forget anything.  "Damn, I forgot to get milk!"

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Yes there might be demographic or behavioural factors that make the rate of increase in the UK different to Italy's. Either better or worse  We shall see.

Italy has the largest proportion of elderly people in Europe possibly in the world, this virus seems to attack older people with pre-existing conditions much worse than younger people. Death rate in Italy is the worst so far.

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Crikey!  That's a nearly 10 mile round trip.  If you're walking it, I hope you don't forget anything.  "Damn, I forgot to get milk!"

I presume the intention would be to boat to the bottom of Knowle locks, it’s not too far to walk from there.

2 minutes ago, KenK said:

Italy has the largest proportion of elderly people in Europe possibly in the world, this virus seems to attack older people with pre-existing conditions much worse than younger people. Death rate in Italy is the worst so far.

But Spain is rapidly approaching the Italian levels over similar time periods.

Spain had 450 deaths in the last 24 hours

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/

Graphs for today's figure not updated.

11 minutes ago, KenK said:

Our boat is moored in Ghent and we are in touch with the Belgian authorities so that information is accurate. French canals which carry commercial traffic remain open but only to commercial boats, the rest are closed. DBA website forum is posting information for each country as it becomes available.

The rivers and canals have heavy commercial use so the waterways are still open for them.

Also the few locks that exist are operated remotely by lock keepers, bridges that need lifting also remotely operated.

All French waterways are closed to pleasure craft navigation until 20/04 at least.

Waterways in the Flemish sector of Belgium are closed to pleasure craft navigation.

I have seen no news in respect of Wallonia’s waterways.

Many smaller Dutch waterways are maintaining winter hours until Easter at least.

13 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'm assuming boat travel within pounds will always be possible. There's water at the bottom on Knowle locks and a Sani at  the top within trolley distance of the bottom, so mooring there would be viable.

MP.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

I'm assuming boat travel within pounds will always be possible. There's water at the bottom on Knowle locks and a Sani at  the top within trolley distance of the bottom, so mooring there would be viable.

MP.

Dunno if you have or need your car but let me know if I can help with the car shuffle

15 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Dunno if you have or need your car but let me know if I can help with the car shuffle

Ta. The car has gone away to Oxford in anticipation of our summer cruising, which we'll still do if we can. If we do get stuck, a lift to retrieve it may well be very useful. As always, we'll work the contingencies and stay flexible.

Just had a horrible thought, if we can't move, there's no excuse left not to moor under a motorway bridge and paint the damn boat. Gulp.

MP.