Lockdown !!!

Jenno

Featured Posts

Just now, buccaneer66 said:

Just what sort of total assooles are these people?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-52011664

Another news item that I can't find now said thieves stole all the food including the chest freezers from a school which has now had to close because it can no longer feed the children of essential workers.

I suspect this won’t be the last crime during this....if we get out the other side without any large scale civil unrest I will be most surprised. 

1 hour ago, Slim said:

Back to lockdown.

It's weird. Here at home I've yet to hear a car drive up or down my road which is normally used as a rat run . Juat looked on an aircraft tracker site. aircraft in the air over the whole of S E England. One on route from Moscow to some south americian sounding country the other inbound from Bahrain.

My  mooring is within a mile of a major motorway and not far from several main routes in to the city centre. Usually weekdays there is a steady hum of traffic noise. This morning it is quieter than a Sunday. One single aeroplane contrail overhead, where usually there are half a dozen or more visible in a clear sky. A bit like a combination of the tanker drivers strike of 2000 and the days after September 11th 2001.

Jen

44 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Foxton was already closed and drained for maintenance so no boat movements anyway.

I went for my one exercise walk of the day at 6am and still passed 6 other people not all dog walkers, and the A6 was pretty busy with cars.

41 minutes ago, frangar said:

Foxton was due to reopen for boats this week....not sure if it has. It was even more popular with gongoozlers when it was drained! 

Definetely (was) open. Went through on Saturday as it opened-vollies there were asking everyone to stay on their boats so as to maintain social distance. Very sensible.

Obviously this didnt help with the gongoozlers..

Edited by PaulJ

8 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

My  mooring is within a mile of a major motorway and not far from several main routes in to the city centre. Usually weekdays there is a steady hum of traffic noise. This morning it is quieter than a Sunday.

They're still hammering up and down the M40.

MP.

Anyone else pleasantly surprised by the calm, measured and sensible response from CRT to the lockdown? No more nor less than they needed to do. Any actual enforecement is wisely being left to the police. All that hysteria about padlocks appearing on every lock in the system was fortunately misplaced. 

Essential navigation for facilities for liveaboards can sensibly continue.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Slim said:

Back to lockdown.

It's weird. Here at home I've yet to hear a car drive up or down my road which is normally used as a rat run . Juat looked on an aircraft tracker site. aircraft in the air over the whole of S E England. One on route from Moscow to some south americian sounding country the other inbound from Bahrain.

Dunno about your flight tracker but this is what mine shows 5 minutes ago

flight radar.jpg

12 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

What's the difference between an acute hospital bed, and one that is not acute? I'm pretty clear on the former, but not so sure what the latter is?

I think acute bed is one which has cartoon characters on the duvet cover ????

Edited by cuthound
Spillung
  • Happy 1

40 minutes ago, frangar said:

I suspect this won’t be the last crime during this....if we get out the other side without any large scale civil unrest I will be most surprised

And me.

2 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Anyone else pleasantly surprised by the calm, measured and sensible response from CRT to the lockdown? No more nor less than they needed to do. Any actual enforecement is wisely being left to the police. All that hysteria about padlocks appearing on every lock in the system was fortunately misplaced. 

Clearly CaRT management have been replaced by pod people to behave in a way so out of character. The invasion has started! The lock down is just to make it easier to carry out!

Extract from the 'list' :

I would assume (dangerous) that a marina / canal would be the same as a campsite

Hotels, hostels, BnBs, campsites and boarding houses for commercial use are to stay shut, except:

• Where people live in these as interim abodes whilst their primary residence is unavailable they may continue to do so. Key workers can continue to stay in hotels or similar where required

Caravan parks/sites for commercial uses cannot operate apart from:

• Where people live permanently in caravan parks or are staying in caravan parks as interim abodes where their primary residence is not available, they may continue to do so

13 hours ago, peterboat said:

My big batch is going to the allotment tomorrow with luck it will be spread next year with some well rotted horse muck  and compost! Should be a bumper cropof veg next year ?

Does that count as essential travel?

20 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Not surprised at all, it's how grownups deal with an escalating crisis 

Why do you think that closing specific areas of the waterways to navigation isn't still on the cards?

If the situation gets worse there could be manned checkpoints on motorways yet, so I'm continuing to advise liveaboards who choose to move not to get too far away from facilities.

Well the big builders yard opposite me is closed so building sites will close soon if they cant get stuff to build with 

12 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Does that count as essential travel?

Not doing it now it was just to go on the big compost heap so it can wait

2 hours ago, BWM said:

There is now a newly opened     Co op in Hockley heath which is around 1.5 miles each way, a very well stocked mini market. Next to the Wharf pub on the Stratford, so a pleasant walk too. Option two is a train to Dorridge for Sainsbury. 

It's three miles each way from the link to that coop, not 1.5.  Nice walk though.  Catching unnecessary trains and buses is a massive no no right now.

Edited by doratheexplorer
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Dave123 said:

I suspect they've done this to avoid cc'ers crowding their boats around service points.  That would benefit nobody.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Not surprised at all, it's how grownups deal with an escalating crisis 

Why do you think that closing specific areas of the waterways to navigation isn't still on the cards?

If the situation gets worse there could be manned checkpoints on motorways yet, so I'm continuing to advise liveaboards who choose to move not to get too far away from facilities.

I never said I didn't think specific parts of the waterways would close. Far from it. In other posts I've mentioned asking CRT to give advance warning of exactly this. I'm well aware many parts of the system where staff or volunteers are required to help boats may have to close or go to reduced opening. My comment about no padlocks was aimed at those who seemed to earlier be gloating over everyone having to remain exactly where they were with no movement whatsoever. Fortunately CRT have the sense to see how this would make no sense!

6 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

I never said I didn't think specific parts of the waterways would close. Far from it. In other posts I've mentioned asking CRT to give advance warning of exactly this. I'm well aware many parts of the system where staff or volunteers are required to help boats may have to close or go to reduced opening. My comment about no padlocks was aimed at those who seemed to earlier be gloating over everyone having to remain exactly where they were with no movement whatsoever. Fortunately CRT have the sense to see how this would make no sense!

I would think it is a case of seeing if people abide by the rules and if they don’t then there will have to be measures used to enforce that, just as will be the case off the waterways.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

I see what you are saying, but you are working from a mistaken assumption - CRT have to do what they are told by the government. 

They are not planning the schedule on this, so can't give notice they haven't had themselves, and all the decrees coming out of Downing street have all been "with immediate effect".

There will be a selection of contingency plans at CRT towers that cover all the likely restrictions, and as they get dusted off and used we will learn what is in them. 

I guarantee you that one of those plans involves shutting locks, because they already do this eg in the droughts over the last couple of years.  Up on the Northern canals they removed paddle gear from locks to defeat the numpty boaters who were cutting padlocks off and carrying on moving.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, frangar said:

I suspect this won’t be the last crime during this....if we get out the other side without any large scale civil unrest I will be most surprised. 

Can't find it now but I saw a report yesterday or the day before that police are worried that with the closure of pubs and clubs, drug dealers will have lost a significant part of their market, and so competition will increase. And with bored kids not at school, more will get roped in as runners, so we can expect to see an increase in gang violence.