Lockdown !!!

Jenno

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Just think of a mechanic shaking your hand after doing an oil change with his gloves still on

No danger of infection though'

Edited by LadyG

21 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Based on that, I can't see why live-aboard CCers like us can't continue to move. The canals will be open and maintained and no locks shut. We're staying at home because our home is moving with us, and if the local population is allowed to jog on the towpath for their daily exercise, then I can't see why I'm not allowed to get my daily exercise winding a few locks. Sharing wide locks is out, but I doubt water shortages are going to be a problem, and it's going to be so quiet that finding another boat to share with will be nearly impossible.

MP.

I think, given that CRT have a duty of care to their vollies/workers -this may be the problem especially somewhere like Watford or Foxton locks-

Are volunteer lock keepers still operating?

Most volunteer lock keepers have now stopped operating. We have asked our volunteers to consider their own needs first when volunteering and where possible we will continue to support volunteering across the Trust’s network if individual volunteers want to continue with their roles. The Trust believes that the welfare of our employees, volunteers and their families is of paramount importance, along with the safety and welfare of those who use our waterways. We will continue to make decisions about the availability of volunteers at our various locations accordingly. Our general approach remains to follow the guidance and advice being given by the Government. We continually monitor the Public Health England (PHE) site and our response and approach will change as official Government advice develops.

6 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

I think, given that CRT have a duty of care to their vollies/workers -this may be the problem especially somewhere like Watford or Foxton locks-

Are volunteer lock keepers still operating?

Most volunteer lock keepers have now stopped operating. We have asked our volunteers to consider their own needs first when volunteering and where possible we will continue to support volunteering across the Trust’s network if individual volunteers want to continue with their roles. The Trust believes that the welfare of our employees, volunteers and their families is of paramount importance, along with the safety and welfare of those who use our waterways. We will continue to make decisions about the availability of volunteers at our various locations accordingly. Our general approach remains to follow the guidance and advice being given by the Government. We continually monitor the Public Health England (PHE) site and our response and approach will change as official Government advice develops.

It would be wise not to assume that anything manned will still be operating as usual.

MP.

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

Good thing I brought a  big  computer screen home from the office today  - its all set up now. 

For me work from home  is possible.  Not what I have been doing that last few decades and probably difficult , but possible. 

An ideal solution for those now working from home.....

D6A84213-A152-4655-97B7-BBB164CAF7CF.jpeg

The deluxe version incorporates a mini-fridge, toaster, kettle and microwave!

Edited by KJT
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, KJT said:

Does the boat version come as cassette or pump out?  

2 hours ago, bagginz said:

Does the boat version come as cassette or pump out?  

Pump out only. The cassette version was discontinued years ago. Replaced by the cd, then the dvd. Now everything is downloaded from the web! ?

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KJT said:

Pump out only. The cassette version was discontinued years ago. Replaced by the cd, then the dvd. Now everything is downloaded from the web! ?

Are you sure?   "Pump out the volume, pump out the volume..."    I'm pretty sure that came out on 12" vinyl

Edited by bagginz
  • Haha 2

On 22/03/2020 at 22:28, peter n said:

In this area a number of wholesalers to the pub/restaurant/education sectors hold stocks of food, and are actively looking for alternative buyers (admittedly with c£50 minimum order) and offering delivery.  If you've only been looking at the Tesco etc suppliers, perhaps worth widening the search.

Back to lockdown.

It's weird. Here at home I've yet to hear a car drive up or down my road which is normally used as a rat run . Juat looked on an aircraft tracker site. aircraft in the air over the whole of S E England. One on route from Moscow to some south americian sounding country the other inbound from Bahrain.

On 22/03/2020 at 22:28, peter n said:

In this area a number of wholesalers to the pub/restaurant/education sectors hold stocks of food, and are actively looking for alternative buyers (admittedly with c£50 minimum order) and offering delivery.  If you've only been looking at the Tesco etc suppliers, perhaps worth widening the search.

Back to lockdown.

It's weird. Here at home I've yet to hear a car drive up or down my road which is normally used as a rat run . Juat looked on an aircraft tracker site. aircraft in the air over the whole of S E England. One on route from Moscow to some south americian sounding country the other inbound from Bahrain.

5 hours ago, KJT said:

Ah that's what was delivered when somebody requested a computer set up that could handle their download demands.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, PaulJ said:

I would think places like Foxton, Stoke bruerne etc would be closed to the public with car parks sealed off. Stopping boat movements could further reduce the attraction of visitors determined to break the curfew.

9 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

How difficult would it be to reverse that far? I would probably quite enjoy the challenge, although maybe not in a 70ft boat.

A bit of advice for all. Reversing a 70 footer is easier than reversing a 50 footer. In fact longer boats are easier to handle going forwards than stumpy boats also. the length both going forrads and backards makes them less choppy and maintain a straight line much easier. The only things a longer boat can be a pain is spinning em round and parking them ?

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

I would think places like Foxton, Stoke bruerne etc would be closed to the public with car parks sealed off. Stopping boat movements could further reduce the attraction of visitors determined to break the curfew.

Boat movements have been stopped if we all listened to what was said last night. The guidlines were pretty easy to me. ?

18 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Crikey!  That's a nearly 10 mile round trip.  If you're walking it, I hope you don't forget anything.  "Damn, I forgot to get milk!"

There is now a newly opened     Co op in Hockley heath which is around 1.5 miles each way, a very well stocked mini market. Next to the Wharf pub on the Stratford, so a pleasant walk too. Option two is a train to Dorridge for Sainsbury. 

10 hours ago, David Mack said:

Ours was munching his way through a squirrel's head on the utility room floor earlier today, and growling dangerously whenever I got close!

Well catch your own squirrel, don't try nick his.

Edited by nbfiresprite
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

I would think places like Foxton

Foxton was already closed and drained for maintenance so no boat movements anyway.

I went for my one exercise walk of the day at 6am and still passed 6 other people not all dog walkers, and the A6 was pretty busy with cars.

2 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Foxton was already closed and drained for maintenance so no boat movements anyway.

I went for my one exercise walk of the day at 6am and still passed 6 other people not all dog walkers, and the A6 was pretty busy with cars.

Foxton was due to reopen for boats this week....not sure if it has. It was even more popular with gongoozlers when it was drained! 

Just what sort of total assooles are these people?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-52011664

Another news item that I can't find now said thieves stole all the food including the chest freezers from a school which has now had to close because it can no longer feed the children of essential workers.