Lockdown !!!

Jenno

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

All Shops selling non essential good s must close, fair enough. however supermarkets sell clothes and leccy goods so will they still be allowed to do that whilst others have been forced to close????? Will I be able to get garden peat and plants delivered????? Anyone know where I can find the small print??

Apparently the DIY sheds will be staying open as they are essential shops so you might be alright for buying but homebase have stopped deliveries.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Rob-M said:

Apparently the DIY sheds will be staying open as they are essential shops so you might be alright for buying but homebase have stopped deliveries.

Homebase website has been a joke for months anyway, letting you order stuff which doesnt exist and reserve stuff for collection which the shop never receives.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

All Shops selling non essential good s must close, fair enough. however supermarkets sell clothes and leccy goods so will they still be allowed to do that whilst others have been forced to close????? Will I be able to get garden peat and plants delivered????? Anyone know where I can find the small print??

I assume you can still buy anything online and have it delivered, am I missing something?  I was going to order a load of sharp sand to re-lay some paving slabs, I may as well do something useful.

3 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Really, B&Q seemed to be saying that they were going to close, that’s the only DIY shop we have near.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes I agree. you and I are very lucky. Being locked up in a high rise flat will be horrendous. my dreadful choice was my fab boat on a fabulous mooring or this detached cottage with large garden in a lovely village. I came to the house as it would have remained empty and some scumbags would have broken in. Many will have a horrible time.

We are so glad we moved house last year now. Being stuck in the old house in the hell hole would have driven us to despair! 

6 minutes ago, dmr said:

Dog needs to go out twice a day for a wee and and a crap, what shall I do? I reckon first time I walk along beside her and pick up the poo, second time I just stand very still and watch ?

...............Dave

Wear a different colour coat

22 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Did I? Lol! 

Have you done the Thames and K&A? 

Yes, and I think I saw you once, but you was pulling away from a pub , the one where you can see a horse carved out, but you was moving off chatting to a female on your starboard gunnel, so didn't like to intrude, I saw your boat again moored up on way back, I did say I would buy you a drink if I ever saw you, but throwing a few cans of lager on your boat, as that was all I had, might of looked like vandalism to , your more discerning palate., I should of reversed back and left a note, but next time..

Anybody know if the Hillmorton locks are closed? If I was to go there from the south to get to the services then fine, but trouble is that if the flight is locked then its impossible to turn around at the top cos the winding is at the bottom of the flight. Any help please. Ta

16 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Only this 2 pager so far, maybe more clarification will follow tomorrow.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You tell me how insisting everyone in my daughter's block of social housing stays put, with two kids to a room, is going to do anything but guarantee that everyone in the place, say about two hundred people are going to get the damn thing at the same time?

Living in a block like that was almost certainly a much higher risk than someone living in a 3 bed semi in suburbia.

I could suggest that, given the normal multiple comings and goings in a block of flats, and the fact that, if the rules are followed, these comings and goings will be reduced significantly, they will almost certainly be at less risk after tonight, than before.

If you are so sure that they are all going to get it after lockdown, and due to lockdown, perhaps they were all going to get it anyway?

1 minute ago, markeymark said:

Anybody know if the Hillmorton locks are closed? If I was to go there from the south to get to the services then fine, but trouble is that if the flight is locked then its impossible to turn around at the top cos the winding is at the bottom of the flight. Any help please. Ta

How far would you have to reverse to the winding hole you passed on the way?

14 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I assume you can still buy anything online and have it delivered, am I missing something?  I was going to order a load of sharp sand to re-lay some paving slabs, I may as well do something useful.

Really, B&Q seemed to be saying that they were going to close, that’s the only DIY shop we have near.

The wife works for Homebase and has been told they are still opening tomorrow as an essential business.

Just now, Richard10002 said:

Living in a block like that was almost certainly a much higher risk than someone living in a 3 bed semi in suburbia.

I could suggest that, given the normal multiple comings and goings in a block of flats, and the fact that, if the rules are followed, these comings and goings will be reduced significantly, they will almost certainly be at less risk after tonight, than before.

If you are so sure that they are all going to get it after lockdown, and due to lockdown, perhaps they were all going to get it anyway?

How far would you have to reverse to the winding hole you passed on the way?

If I remember rightly its by the Waterside Inn ( ex Royal Oak) about 500 metres from the top lock.

6 minutes ago, markeymark said:

I suggest waiting for CRTs next update at https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus which will hopefully make it clearer what will be open and what closed. I'm seeing rumours on facebook that CRT on-the-ground staff are being told not to turn up for work with immediate effect.

MP.

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

The wife works for Homebase and has been told they are still opening tomorrow as an essential business.

Didn’t know Homebase still existed, ours close down at least 12 months ago.  Not sure me doing to buy DIY stuff is really acceptable though, I think online is the way to go.

16 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I've been to a small B & Q today, also Screwfix, both [?same company?] have strict procedures, but is S/fix someone was leafing thru a catalogue with bare hands. They have to be told. DO NOT TOUCH COMMUNAL THINGS WITH BARE HANDS

Just now, MoominPapa said:

I suggest waiting for CRTs next update at https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus which will hopefully make it clearer what will be open and what closed. I'm seeing rumours on facebook that CRT on-the-ground staff are being told not to turn up for work with immediate effect.

MP.

Thanks, you are right . Will wait and see but its a long way to walk to empty the khazi

22 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yes, by a reasonable definition.  Which bit of my advice do you think I should alter because I have had more alcohol than is advised for driving?

Do you think you should move more or less because I asked where you are moored?

I was the first boat (yesterday) through a flight of locks that have been shut since January so if there is a lockdown I am where I want to be.

I thought I was offering valuable advice to my fellow continuous cruisers.  If you disagree, feel free to teach me a lesson by not having your own boat on a pound with water and elsan facilities when the locks get shut off. 

I'll be a lot less sorry, because I can see the waterpoint and the bin out of my front door,

I wondered because you started talking about batteries being charged confused me, I know your a valuable contributor to this forum, I am currently on the shroppie, between water points shops and marinas, just like winter cruising. I am surprised you got a greenie off that comment though. Is he your friend?

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

Didn’t know Homebase still existed, ours close down at least 12 months ago.  Not sure me doing to buy DIY stuff is really acceptable though, I think online is the way to go.

No deliveries.

36 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Supermarket has peas for gardening I saw them today 

Good thing I brought a  big  computer screen home from the office today  - its all set up now. I can go to the office if I need anything but will try to avoid that  . Travelling to work is permitted.

Construction sites may remain open (although I know of some that have closed).

For me work from home  is possible.  Not what I have been doing that last few decades and probably difficult , but possible. 

Some work may require a construction site visit. It's usually a long slow  journey without a toilet stop but should be quicker if there are fewer cars on the road. 

We are in a design phase on a  project and that's programmed to continue until July.  I understand the design work  will  continue to happen even if the site is shut down. It is in part government funded so they may as well let us keep working rather than paying compensation.

I had hoped for a lesser restrictions on leisure use  but the rules have to be accepted.

All thoughts of boating have evaporated.